It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan 15-year-old dies after police Taser him

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Thats why I said earlier that it is a no win situation for them. Bottom line is that the kid shouldn't have gone after the cops. Unforfortuantly he did and paid with his life.

The cops are given equipment and are told to follow procedure on how to use it. Why should they be held responisble for using equipment that they are issued? They did not intend to kill him.

Go after those who give them authority to use tasers. Not the cops who use it.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Better yet.

It is better not to give the cops reasons to use it instead of trying to assault them.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Tasers must seriously ban, it kills humanity.

I had enough of this similar incident over and over again.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

-edit- I was referring to a different tasering incident for this particular post.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Don't know what you are referring to so I cannot comment on it.

Post a link?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

My edit wasn't worded right... I was meaning the post that I had just edited was a different tasering incident than the one from this original topic we had been talking about, and was irrelevant to the current discussion.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on that one.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Ok, so we’re racing toward 300 people dead from tasers, what’s the big deal? Obviously they weren’t the kind of people we want in our society anyway, or the police would never have been dealing with them.

IMO tasers are a pain compliance (torture) device designed to frighten the public into not getting uppity. If a few people die, all the better for the intimidation factor.

My heart goes out to this kid, but I really feel bad for the brainwashed stormtroopers that killed him. Thier eternity will be a sad one indeed.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
Ok, so we’re racing toward 300 people dead from tasers, what’s the big deal? Obviously they weren’t the kind of people we want in our society anyway, or the police would never have been dealing with them.

Bravo! Just when I thought I can't read anything more messed-up than I'd read already this morning!

People the police are dealing with? How about people in hospital beds, an old woman for taking the wrong seat at a sports game, an obviously 'confused' naked man on building ledges, a teenage girl holding a baby? These are the kind of people that taser-armed police 'deal with'.

To be honest, reading your post, it's people like you that I'd rather not see in any society that I'm part of.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by resistor

Ok, so we’re racing toward 300 people dead from tasers, what’s the big deal?

The "big deal" is that a device that has been labelled and trumped around by Police Departments as "non-lethal" has killed almost 300 people to date.

The same way cigarettes, which were once trumped around as a cure for various ailments and a way to improve your overall wellbeing, have killed millions.

You can't continue justifying it's classification as a weapon incapable of killing people, when "accidents" like these keep happening.

We went down the same road with cigarettes and no one so much as blinked, it's time to not let history repeat itself and do the same with tasers.

Or better yet, ban the friggin' things.

Obviously they weren’t the kind of people we want in our society anyway, or the police would never have been dealing with them.

My heart goes out to this kid, but I really feel bad for the brainwashed stormtroopers that killed him.

So you believe this 15 year old doesn't belong in our society despite admitting he was killed by some misguided people?

Your foot must really be hurting now.

How come you types are always from Texas. Seriously.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
I read this and was about to post it...glad I checked first. I will tell you this, I have never tased a juvenile (i.e. under 18). In my mind when a kid gets froggy and decides to lash out its time for an old school ass whoopin and he gets put in his place. I wasn't there so don't know all the facts/circumstances, but I can imagine not being able to control a YOUNG teen with my hands. I have tased an 18 year old, but again that was NOT this incident....

I won't completly take the teens side because I don't know the ENTIRE story or ALL the facts....but I sure won't be siding with this officer right now. My main concern is the family of the teen, and the medical examiners report as to what killed the teen...and NO I do not believe it was soley the taser! Pre exsiting medical conditions is my GUESS...but I'll WAIT for the facts before going off like most will on this thread.

EDIT TO ADD: Tasers are LESS LETHAL weapons, NOT "non-lethal"! Just like rubber bullets, 37/40mm wood batons, bean bags, etc...none are NON-LETHAL...only less than lethal.

[edit on 3/23/2009 by rcwj75]

The point is that even IF he had "pre-existing" medical conditions he shouldn't be DEAD for throwing punches at an ADULT officer.

And how in the F#$% can something be "LESS LEATHAL"??? Is it just me or is that an oxymoron?? What the 'eff is "less lethal"??? So I ask you: do you have a 100% chance of killing someone with a taser or 100% chance of stunning them? Looks to me like you have a ZERO percent chance of knowing WHAT it will do.

Dead is dead, right???

Ban tasers - fire cops that kill people with them. These devices are beyond flawed as they are interfering with the normal functions of the human body, and in some cases, that interference leading to death. Fielding a device that could potentially KILL a certain percentage of the population, when the intent is to "subdue" people with the device, is INSANE IMO. Ask a cop carrying a taser about A-FIB and HV electrical theory and they'll give you a blank look. I know enough about the topic (electronics test engineer) to view a taser as if it were a loaded handgun - NOT a can of mace. I stay the Fck away from HV electrical currents.

Too bad this cop didn't have the same education. Thus, due to his ignorance regarding the lethality of the taser, a 15 year old boy is dead for being stupid and throwing punches. How am I safer due to his actions? A 15 year old is dead for being stupid and 15. Pathetic.

Sometimes I wish I had become a lawyer..

[edit on 23-3-2009 by ACEMANN]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alvatore
Tasers must seriously ban, it kills humanity.

I had enough of this similar incident over and over again.

+1 on that; seriously what happened to mace? Seems like tasers are the new toy and the cops just can't wait to try one out. It disgusts me to think some of them out there are gung-ho to use a device that could fck my heart rhythms and kill me - just because they wanted to "subdue" me. Their ignorance regarding how these devices work is just mind-blowing. I would LOVE to rip apart the "less than lethal" defense in a court room. That argument is full of holes. The mechanics alone, when debated, would trump this BS excuse.

And since it is so near-and-dear to some P.O.'s - take the pension of the officer if they kill someone with a taser (less than lethal right???). Maybe then they'll think twice about using one. If there is one thing people think about it's money - too bad we would need to tie it to a life.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Thats why I said earlier that it is a no win situation for them. Bottom line is that the kid shouldn't have gone after the cops. Unforfortuantly he did and paid with his life.

The cops are given equipment and are told to follow procedure on how to use it. Why should they be held responisble for using equipment that they are issued? They did not intend to kill him.

Go after those who give them authority to use tasers. Not the cops who use it.

WTF? So feigning ignorance is an excuse for taking someone's life? Again, cops are IGNORANT with regards to how these ACTUALLY WORK and how they affect the human body. I KNOW how many amps it takes to kill someone. I know how many volts are required to break through your skin and conduct. I know what will kill you and what will just make you piss your pants.

Cops don't. They probably don't even know what a milliamp is and how much less it is than an Amp. So officers out there - do you know how many amps it takes to kill someone, and what affects electrical conductivity? Those two points alone would tear the defense of tasers apart, but I doubt you could even figure it out, I'm so pissed right now I don't even feel like explaining it all.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
yet more proof that people are 98% chimpanzee ...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
More murder by the police, it seems so common now, but heck the police must always have been the serial killers of society.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Better yet the police should not be using a weapon (possibly a lethal one at that) against an unarmed person, no matter what the reason.

While what you say is true, the boy should not have tried to fight with the police, that definately does not justify his death which was a direct result of being tasered.

Perhaps you misunderstand me. My arguement is not against officers defending themselves, but rather with the use of tasers.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I did not know that tasering could cause permanent damage.

Jeeze... why are we using them, then? We need to develop a different way. If even one person could die from it, and clearly many people could and some have, I don't see why it's still legal to use. Might as well just use a gun. If a gun wouldn't be needed, don't use a taser.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Well while it is a sad thing that he died, he shouldn't have tried to assault the cops. It did say that they immediatly called for emergency help when he saw the reaction he had.

I don't think the cops involved are to blame. The kid might have had a condition that the cops were unaware of.

Im sure I got what you were saying, so let me ask this, Its OK for a Police Officer to murder a child, because he thought he could fight a TRAINED PROFESSIONAL who is supposed to be able to stop this kind of thing.

No sir, Police Officers are getting lazy, they are paid more, have to do less, since now they can just sit back a fire a taser, instead of using their minds and techniques that they were taught in Axxhole school.

Nope coppers are giving themselves a bad name, and to continue using the taser weapon is uncalled for.

Police officers are supposed to be trained for this.
But you are right, a child attacks a police officer he DESERVES TO DIE. (sarcasm)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

This is what happens when we get led down that slippery slope of allowing the police more force than is reasonable.

They seem to be overusing these things IMO.

I read where they tasered an old man for a traffic infraction!!!! How INSANE is that?..

I know the cops have a tough job, but they should all lose their tasers because they simply are out of control.

They should use nets to tangle them up with, or just let the people burn themselves out of energy!

NO MORE TASERS!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Thank you for that griff...and as heated as you and I have gotten you have always brought up good points as well...doesn't mean I agree with you..
.. but to be able to debate and actually see both sides is key.

JD has it right. It doesn't matter what we do as LEO's these days. Tase, shoot, fight, asp, oc spray..SOMEONE will always second guess you, armchair quarterback you, and blame you for the incident. All we can do is keep a level head (as much as possible) and defuse a situation as deemed necessary. The backlash will come no matter what.

As to the poster complaining about less lethal weapons...if you do not know the definition of such weapons...EDUCATE yourself please before coming on here spewing like a JA! They are weapons designed to NOT have to shoot everyone. These days are not like days of old where most of your suspects would put up a good fist fight, and when the officer got the best of them they give up and go do their time. These days they will take hostages, kill innocent people, shoot in a general direction spraying bullets, etc...so WE NEED OTHER TOOLS to help defuse these rejects.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by toasted

I agree with you and all users that the taser is SOMETIMES abused by officers. I will not deny that. But since 2005 I have used a taser 161 times. ZERO deaths, ZERO complaints, ZERO problems. Of course I feel that when i deployed my taser it was for the right reasons.. i.e. NOT because some guy refused to sign my traffic citation. Sorry but working in this field...the taser IS a valuable weapon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join