It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theories why aliens might exist.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
We definitely sold our asses when we accept certain beliefs instead of keeping an open mind about anything! I look at it as yes we are very ignorant, but at the same time we are searching for truth to not only better our humanity, but keep a power flow with our conduits of logic and reason. We may not be doing so for the better of the cosmos, but life in my eyes is short and we try our damnedest to stake a claim of truth in logic and reason.

To say there are ET's with greater understanding is to say we are not all powerful and we still have light to be shown. We'd rather not work for greater knowledge and instead receive it through "pipe dreams". Does anyone really seek truth for the better of all, and when I say all I mean the infinite universe, no. Anyone who say they do is lying. We can however, if there were ET's, take in the concepts and continue our futile "expansion" and infest the unknown.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CrlJester

Jester....I 'starred' you for part of your last post.

Because, you are dancing around it, but missing it at the same time.

What I mean is, there is a uniquely Human Attitude....that somehow we, Humans, are the 'Be All' and 'End All'....in the Universe.

We need to get rid of THAT attitude, and pronto!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Good thread idea, although I prefer 'conjectures.'

The whole idea of if aliens visiting Earth is riven with paradoxes. A lot of them are based on our current understanding of physics and the limitations of speed and energy. As far as we understand, the speed of light should be impossible due to the amount of energy it would require. Under such Laws, it would take any local intelligence years to come here. The nearest stars don't have planets. The nearest planets we have found are gas giants or orbit the wrong class of star at distances that rule out life as we know it. The information we have rules out the possibility of intelligent life originating anywhere close.

It would therefore need to come from even further away, which returns us again to limits of speed and energy. Darwin's Beagle expedition lasted some three years. Marco Polo spent nearly twenty years in China. Unless they can operate under conditions considerably removed from our understanding of physics, it would require immense commitment to travel to Earth. AI, cyborg or longer lives? Could the commitment to exploration involve generations born and died en route to targets? As Weedwhacker wondered, how would they relay the information back? Again, it would require generations.

We have to consider the possibility that UFOs are a phenomena not connected to visiting ET. Maybe in the future we'll have explanations for the sightings that don't involve intelligent visitors? Who knows? We can only speculate and extrapolate from what we think we know.

Just speculating, if intelligent life is visiting us we have to wonder the whys, whats, wheres and whens.

Why? A more advanced race could have the same curiosity about different cultures that we have. Sir David Attenborough and his team remain neutral as they film wildlife in it's natural habitat. They don't intervene. Whereas I watch the programs and feel pity as yet another calf, cub, baby, egg is killed and eaten by a predator, the cameras roll and nobody attempts to save them. Why should an alien visitor act differently? Anthropologists don't embark on studies of Amazonian tribes by giving them treatises on math or Leatherman pocket tools.

Continued speculation...the activities of these aliens is no different to the activities of us. We can take an animal from it's environment, swab it, test it, take samples, tag it and release it back where we found it. The wee bugger is unharmed, but maybe is left with some anxiety? The observer is strictly scientific and benign.

Back to the speed of travel and energy...sightings occur weekly over years. Many different...many unusual...If our understanding of physics is complete, alien visitors are psychological aberrations on a mass scale. If there is much more to learn about the possibilities of space travel, we could simply be case studies in some alien university and characters in some nature documentary on a foreign planet

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Kandinsky....

yes, I completely understand all of your points.....

However, the idea here is to expand a bit....at least, that's how I see it.

By 'expand' I mean....'EXPAND' outside of current 'understanding' of Einstein, and Euclidian space concepts.

Given, yes....under our current knowledge of physics.....Interstellar travel is 'impractical'....I get that part.

I'd just like to remain open-minded....not to be the same as those folk back in 1900 America, who were 'convinced' that heavier-than-air flight was 'impossible'.....

EDIT...for Kandisky.....you have more to bring, all valid points. BUT, it's like we're grasping in the dark....or as said, just speculating. Hope one ouf us finds something worth eating!!!!!

[edit on 3/23/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CrlJester

I don't think it is likely UFOs are alien, however I do think there is evidence of the UK government attempting to minimise public knowledge of official interest in UFOs. There's many examples in the current UK FOIA releases of officials wanting to downplay their interest. They wouldn't acknowledge the existence of DI55 until the late 1990s, but were clearly still interested as evinced by Project Condign. The 'UFO' crash in Boscombe Down, 1994, is one that will probably come out of the UK government archives in 100 years or so, maybe 50, if we're really lucky.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The reason for such a cover up is obvious, it would greatly alter the perception of our world. Many people would more than likely start to accept other cultures/races/nations differences, and this is something that goes against the long-term planning of any super powers' military.

Think about it, this discovery and/or revelation would bring the world together like never before, that's after the extremely religious one's get over the panic and shock etc.. and this is something that certain in-power nations do not want.

Stanton Friedman argues this point excellently, I've heard him talk about the reasons for cover up numerous times. I think he explains best.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Hiya weedwhacker, I was trying to stay within the limitations or our own laws of physics in my response. I don't think for a second that what we know now will remain so in the following years. Science is always expanding its limits and building on the ideas of those that went before.

Stephenson's Rocket locomotive could travel at 40mph and pundits thought that humans couldn't breathe at such reckless speeds. Times change.....

If UFOs have ET pilots, our models of physics will need to be revised. If they don't have intelligence and are real we will still have to revise our ideas. I've no more idea than anyone else, but the speed or process raises questions. If the monthly sightings that remain unexplained are evidence of alien visitors...are they all embarking on years long journeys? Something has to give...

I'm only thinking out loud.......

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Yah.....I know, Kandinsky....

We DO have to re-evaluate our understanding of Physics....which is what makes Science Fiction so fascinating.

As you said....there was a 'hypothesis' that Humans would be unable to breathe, above 40 MPH. We see that now as ludicrous....

These same people would have never imagined satellites in orbit, much less ships to other planets.....25,000 MPH to them was as foreign to them as interplanetary travel seems to us.....well, Humans in interplanetary travel.

Or, even more incredible.....InterStellar travel.

We must exceed Einstein, and relativity....and use new thinking......

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Okay!

How do you propose we go about break the chains and getting better and newer results?

Do we really want to explore further?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
Think about it, this discovery and/or revelation would bring the world together like never before, that's after the extremely religious one's get over the panic and shock etc.. and this is something that certain in-power nations do not want.

I agree with what your saying Maj. When faced with something completely alien to us all, suddenly our earthly differences would pale in comparison. We would realize that we're all just 'brothers and sisters' occupying this planet and it would probably bring us all together as one...

Oh it makes me feel like breaking into song... "We are the world... "

That is unless Government A gets suspicious/paranoid of Government B getting a better deal with the visitors. Then the SHTF!

One problem I can see is this coming together of nations could also be considered a NWO of sorts; so on one hand we have people saying "this is the last thing our governments want" - and on the other side of the fence you have the NWO Truthers saying "This is exactly what our shadow governments and elitists want".

I find it a bit contradictory...

IRM

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
There are 1000's of reasons to come to Earth and why wouldn't you visit other habitable planets if you had the technology and the means to get there and back safely. It's totally logical to visit other planets. We would do it.

I believe we didn't just evolve from monkeys , i think we've been put here by another advanced race , if so then maybe they are our watchers/guardians.
That's the theory i've always thought of.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Aliens exist because there is nothing special about our sun. There are around 300 billion stars just in our galaxy, and 30 billion of them are like our own.

If you assume that life is about as rare as the sun, there is an extremely high probability that lifeforms technically superior to Earth humans exist. And some of them will exist within 300-400ly of Sol.

Based on the above being true, I make the following assumptions about ETs visiting Earth:

- The extra-terrestrials that visit Earth, in cosmic terms, are our neighbours.
- ETs visit Earth, and many other planets/stars, for the purpose of scientific exploration - the same reason that humans do.
- ETs are not inter-dimensional beings or time travelers. They are bound by the same physical laws that we are.
- They travel extreme distances through space by means of hybernation/cryogenics, which is the same way all life travels throughout the galaxy. Suspended-animation is a natural consequence of inter-stellar space.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by electric]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by electric

Alright great observation! Take into account that they maybe for more advanced than we are.

Who made the laws of physics with boundaries? We just haven't been through enough research to say we can't travel to other sol.sys.

I believe it was posted earlier, that we feared man wouldn't be able to breathe at speeds of 40MPH. now use that as an example.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
this coming together of nations could also be considered a NWO of sorts; so on one hand we have people saying "this is the last thing our governments want" - and on the other side of the fence you have the NWO Truthers saying "This is exactly what our shadow governments and elitists want".

It only seems contradictory because people(conspiracy-theorists) often entangle and confuse the two types of governmental powers in existence.

There are two types of governments in my opinion; the public governments and the shadow governments (a government within government). I think that in the next couple of centuries it is inevitable that there will somehow be a one world government (public). But there is already a world government so to speak, a secret one, most people (including myself) don't know the details of whom exactly these people are, what they are called, and what their true motives are.. but they exist, have existed for quite a long time, they pull the strings, they call the shots, they are actually several groups in ties with each other, and they possess most of the power, resources, and wealth of this world. I wholeheartedly disagree with the term NWO; because it denotes something "new".. and I don't believe that this group is "new" at all, in reality they are "old", and have been in a long established position of power. They are an old-world-order.

On the topic of UFOs and extraterrestrials, I believe that the group formerly known as MJ-12 are one of them, or have become of them in the last couple of decades, because this group were given or had an enormous amount of power at their disposal (probably still do), and not to mention how ultra secretive this group is .. and I think that most of these elite groups and secret societies are all tied together somehow.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I really hate how people think that the speed of light would be the only means of interstellar travel. I also despise how people reference our current knowledge of physics when recently discoveries in the world of physics have been nothing short of mind boggling.

But if you want to stay within the already known world of physics then you should take space/time manipulation into consideration. We know we can fold space with gravity to travel (theoretically), we just can't do it yet. Who's to say they can't? Oh yeah, if they can there would be literally no limit as to where or how far they could travel.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Earth is but a tiny speck in an ocean of sand. To think we are the only life in this huge universe is crazy in itself. The reason why we haven't seen any other life in other planets, is because of either the timing or because the distance. Remember, mankind has only been here for what? around 40-50 thousand years? Compare to what? the dinosaurs that were around for Millions of years. And how old is the universe? 50-60 billion years old, and that number might not even be accurate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join