It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War in Oakland...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
4 Cops shot dead, one parolee dead. Oakland is on the brink of becoming a warzone... Should this be a good time to implement martial law in the city to help the struggling police force?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It's pretty sad, the guy who shot those officers was a parolee and he couldn't find a job, because of the economic crisis and the fact that he was an parolee.

His life was at a dead end, and he didn't want to go back to jail... And so this happened. He just snapped.

More of this will probably happen in the future as more and more people get fed up with the system and want to make their enemies with them as they make their exit from this world.

But it's no reason to declare martial law. After all, the killer is gone, the threat is terminated.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Not only would such an event, staged or not, be good for them to impose martial law, it'd be a great event to point to as a reason for stricter gun laws. If you've noticed, there have been a peculiar amount of shootings(Alabama, Germany, Oakland, another I can't quite remember where) over the last month or so. As Obama and Rahm say, never let a disaster go to waste

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Personally, in my opinion the police should just go after serious criminals, such as killers, rapists and sex predators, not some small time thief who violated his parole.

In these depressed economic times the police shouldn't stop thieves or drug dealers who have violated their parole. Most of these people are small time criminals who have nothing and they don't want to go back to jail to be raped or shanked by bigger criminals.

The police should be careful, and know that some people are angry, that there are people who have nothing to lose.

Sure it's the law... but these are very troubled times where people are awakening to the fact that the more powerful people are, the more likely they are to be above the law, and that they (the poor) are scum in the eyes of the powers that be, free to be jailed or to have their lives controlled at will, when they (the PTB), are the bigger criminals, those who are beyond the reach of the law, in a world of double standards.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I might be missing something, but I didn't see anywhere in that article that claimed that this guy was on parole or pulled over because he was a thief. The article states that he was on parole for assault with a deadly weapon and that he was pulled over (when the first cops were shot) for a routine traffic stop. (So apparently he didn't bother obeying traffic laws, either.) It turned out that he was had an extensive criminal history and was also wanted on a no-bail warrant. I don't know anything about those, but isn't it possible that those aren't issued lightly, but in response to a serious offense of some variety?

I am sorry for the family that this criminal left behind, but I am just as sorry for the families that the officers were taken from. The officers, however, weren't the ones doing anything wrong.

This criminal doesn't sound like someone you would classify as a petty thief or some misdemeanor offender, from his description and recent actions he sounds much more like the "serious criminals" you want the police to focus on.

In response to your commentary about thieves, I completely disagree. I don't care how troubled the times are, it is NOT acceptable to steal from others. Times are just as troubled for me as they are for the poor persecuted thief who you would see left alone. The difference is, I got what I have legally and I'll be darned if I will tolerate some thug stealing what I have because he feels some sense of entitlement and thinks that he deserves my things more than I do. Feel free to let people steal from you if that makes you happy, but don't go advocating that as acceptable and not worthy of police focus, because you don't speak for everyone and anyone trying to steal from me will find out fast. I defend first and ask questions later.

This criminal wasn't a thief as far as we know, however. The article makes no mention at all of that crime, but does paint him as one of those "serious criminals".

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I wouldn't call it a "war."

People have been shooting cops in East Oakland for decades.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
haha thats true sadly. however then again it could be a war thats lasted for decades. it will only get worse and I think eventually New Orleans after Katrina will look like Disneyland when those times come. Imagine millions out of work, starving, and all fighting to survive.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Oakland isn't a war zone, it's just a craphole full of morons who idolize thug life. People have been getting shot there damn near on a weekly basis it seems like sometimes. It's been happening for years.

I've got to know plenty of low life thieves and drug dealers throughout my life in the bayarea and the worst of the worst are always out of Oakland and Richmond, at least the ones I always ended up spending time with.

And you guys sympathizing for these "small time" thieves are on a whole 'nother planet for frick's sake. Most of these people are good at not getting caught doing the dirty things they do. I've spent much, much time with these kind of people during a time of my life and I can tell you from experience A LOT of the guys with small time police records are pulling off big time crimes constantly and they are all very bad people.

They don't get jobs because they don't have too. It is ridiculously easy over here to make more then enough money selling drugs and stealing (then selling) all sorts of things to live a comfortable life for most of your days and never get caught.

All this "oh boohoo they have to commit crime because they are all so poor and its all they have left" is BULL$%@#. At least over here it is. They do it because it pays better!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by PlausibleDeniability

Wow, you really told us!

I worry about one of my sons who tends to live there from time to time. Is it worse now than before or about the same? I mean is it getting worse?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
What I found curious was in the local (midwest) MSM news they claimed this was the *worst* police killing in Oakland history. Really? Oakland? Haven't things been a little rough there for awhile?

If it is then it is. If it's not why hype it; using this as rational for a ramp up to greater police presence or martial law?

If you wanted to go off the deep end (I just watched Conspiracy Theory again last night and have been looking into this topic a little) you could theorize they are slowly activating more and more MK Ultra types to bring about the supposed need for greater police protection or more likey, martial law. My rational mind tells me this and the incident in Alabama are individual tragedies. I'm still concerned about the army presence that happened in the aftermath in AL and no one taking responsibility.

One final note, I went to a movie yesterday and there is no way I will be in a FEMA camp with these people, I will cower in the woods!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
One untrained thug was able to kill two cops and then get away. Then do it again but was grossly outnumbered and died as well. How did that happen?
The problem I see here is a trend of fat slob chiefs and old farts unable to carry batman's utility belt while fighting crime, poorly.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Well Oakland is definitely one of the last places I would want to move to around here. It still has its nice areas I guess...

And honestly, I would say it's getting worse EVERYWHERE, including Oakland. I mean, whens the last time you heard of so many cops being shot and killed in one place at one time?

That's Oakland...

[edit on 3/25/2009 by PlausibleDeniability]

new topics

top topics

join