It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As climate changes, is water the new oil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

As climate changes, is water the new oil?

www.newsdaily.com

WASHINGTON, Mar. 22, 2009 (Reuters) — If water is the new oil, is blue the new green?

Translation: if water is now the kind of precious commodity that oil became in the 20th century, can delivery of clean water to those who need it be the same sort of powerful force as the environmental movement in an age of climate change?

And, in another sense of green, is there money to be made in a time of water scarcity?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Now, this subject is very important to me. I live in a place where water is very abondant. And because of that, i have no fear about ever going without it.
But some places, like some of the states in the USA and other places in the world desperately have to ration the water supply.
This article is very interesting. Water is the source of life, it's been proven over and over again. Without water, we're doomed.

www.newsdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
well if thats true then the gas stations would be "out of business" then the cars would be more expensive and all we'll have to do is to use the garden hose for our new watter station lol

-PG1946

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
They have the technology to run cars on water, it's just that the oil companies bought all the technology and supressed it.
I'm more concerned about the running out of fresh water in some parts of the world, that could create yet again more conflicts over it...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by teklordz

How much water can you remove from an ecosystem (even one
abundant in water) before it has a detrimental effect on the region.

Presumably the quantities would want to be large to make the endeavour profitable.

-------------------------------------------

Wars over water ?

I laughed when i first saw bottled water for sale ..... who knows !

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

I even read stories about a proposed pipeline that would bring fresh melting water from glaciers in the north all the way to california..
So, to me, water is crucial to all of us. We all need to become conscious of fresh water for it's our suvival as a species that is at risk.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This is actually the premise to the latest James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace.

I love the new James Bond. He makes Jason Bourne look like a pansy.

But in all seriousness, Global Warming experts believe that there will be serious water shortages in places that rely on glaciers for their water in the near future. This may turn out to be a big problem.

If global warming makes glaciers smaller and reduces annual snow pack, communities relying on these sources for fresh water likely will face serious shortages, according to research published in the journal Nature November 16.

www.america.gov...

The whole Golan Heights issue between Israel and Syria is really about access to a fresh water supply.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I depend on if the climate is getting warmer or colder.

If the climate is getting warmer (global warming)the amount of evaporation from the oceans will increase and rainfall will increase.

If its getting colder (climate change/ice age)the amount of evaporation from the oceans will decrease and rainfall will decrease.

All this has been seen in paleoclimatology and if it happen to earth before it will happen again.

Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.

The joke is there is no way we will not repeat it.

If they try to stop global warming put ourselves into climate change/ice age.
and to try to stop climate change/ice age we may put ourselves into global warming.

Unless we know with a certainty whether we are going into global warmer or climate change its better not to do anything

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This is a joke right?

This article can't be serious. The last 10 major international conflicts in the 20th Century can attributed directly to securing vital oil reserves.

Oil/Petroleum Conglomerates represents the world's largest businesses with revenues higher than a lot of country's GDPs.

The amount of people that have died for the fluid our very lives and most of industrial production capacity runs upon, would be innumerable.

The amount of money being made from oil production and refinement is also innumerable and ensures that a lot of very powerful people in the banking, political, military and industrial spheres across the globe will continue becoming even more wealthy and rich, so long as Oil remains the dominant hydro-carbon fuel source on the Planet.

The connections the Oil Industry has to geo-political affairs and to heads of state are far too strong to be broken by the 'Green Movement'.

Really I would like to believe this article, but history tells us Oil will our dominant source of energy for decades to come.

new topics

top topics

join