It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP predicts doomsday if Obama budget passed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyElohim
Having said that, reading the criticism is fascinating. I hope that it's off the mark. I want these policies to work, and so should you. But I don't know that they will. I think anyone posting on these forums claiming to command such expertise that they can flatly condemn Obama's policies thus far is standing a little too high on the soapbox. There are plenty of credentialed and respected economists who agree and plenty who disagree. That means it's controversial, not that it's obviously wrong. I will say this in support of his doings thus far: at least he's getting busy.

Very well said... only an idiot or mush loosebowels (actually one and the same) want Obama's policies to fail because if they do we are in for a long depression...

... its not like the Republicans have any viable ideas.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

"
Bah, I am disappointed at the people suggesting that it would save money to stop payments to the disabled and student grants.

After all the job losses, all some of us have left is leechin' off schools.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That wasn't the point I was trying to make with that. I'm not concerned that removing Federal Education Grants will save us money. Hell, out of the TRILLIONS the Feds are paying out right now, they should go ahead and pump a few more billion into the Grant funds. Since we are going down, we might as well use it to start anew by focusing on graduating more people through our higher educational programs.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. A lot of people are turning to this option right now.
I know I'm about to. I have my GI Bill to use still and I can take out Student Loans and capitalize on these Grants to supplement the income from the job I'm about to lose. I know that others are thinking along these lines as well.

The Government is going to realize people are doing this and cut the Grant Programs back.
Mark my words.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
After reading some of these posts...i feel compelled to reply.

After the insanity of the last 8 years...the debt...the wars...the spending...the infringement on our Constitutional rights..

You'd think everyone would be overly critical of the President who followed...no matter who had won the election....just to make sure they weren't "fooled" again.

Instead I see, "Oh, let's wait and see." or "Just give him time." or "Maybe the numbers aren't as bad as they appear."

"It's only been 2 months!" I don't give a damn if it's been 2 months or 2 years. One day can make or break this country right now. Why don't some of you start acting like it and show some criticism....hold him accountable.

Wake up....we voted in a piece of trash...and it was done out of spite because of the terrible job Republicans did....not that McCain was any better I might add.

Neither party is better than the other. Nothing has really changed...unless you want to count the increased debt and spending...or troop increases in Afghanistan....how about the trillions missing from the fed?

Obama has been spewing lies and flip flopping like every politician before him..signing insane spending bills and trying to push forth more.

It's unsustainable. You know it is....so why the hesitation?

Why even take the chance?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Because I don't agree with the economic theories that predict the stimulus will fail, period, simple enough.

They're coming from the same ideological corner that put us here.

Nor do I agree we voted in "a piece of trash"

Had I felt he was a "piece of trash," I would not have voted for him.

Take your assumptions and shove them where the sun doesn't shine

I voted for the best man to do the job, and nothing he's done since he's taken office has changed my mind.

Defecit spending is not generally a good idea, except under two conditions: major conflicts or economic crashes.

Then it's unfortunately necessary.

And yes, I think it will work - not that it will turn around the economy before it's even passed (
) but it will help keep the crash from becoming a 1930's-style depression.

It's not a cure-all, nor is it intended to be.

It's a bandage to stop the bleeding so the patient doesn't die on the table before surgery...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

You make it sound like we could just call up a congressman and make it all go away. That's not going to happen, but that's not what you really want anyway. You want Obama supporters to admit they were wrong so you can say "I told you so". Right?

Even if they did, what would that do to help resolve the situation? Nothing.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This may have been said before, but a huge huge huge percentage of the Government spending is on employees. That's right, the US Government is the largest employer in the US.

The U.S. Government is the largest employer in the United States, hiring about 2.0 percent of the nation's work force.

That's from the Federal jobs site.

Why should it be that 1 in every 50 people should work for the government? Do we really need that many people? Why not leave the programs but cut the people sitting on their butts doing nothing all day.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The grand old lady might be right, for once. American's are forgetting that across the Pacific are the Chinese waiting to harvest their investments. Somehow, honestly, Beijing will not take confidence in the increase of public debt in the United States.

Obama believes the same pathetic theory of Wall Street - China will keep financing us. Well guess what, the Communist's are getting fed up.

How naive is Congress? An itching and painful feeling is slowly spreading and that is the Chinese asking for their money back. In fact, rumours suggest the Chinese are preparing to sell a portion of Dollars to purchase Euro's, Yen and British Sterling.

That's a guaranteed minimum 5% drop on the DOW.

President Nixon was wrong to believe China could become another Japan - former enemy turned into a Western democracy, American partner.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Meh, over the next few months the new Treasury plan to buy back assets funding 97% of purchases with private investors will add another $1trillion to the Federal Deficit.

I too not being a Republican must say, I completely agree with what they are saying. Now if only they acted what they preached, then I would say hey, let's listen to that party...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think it is odd that the Repub's are always blamed for this mess. This mess started years ago. It has been going on for much longer that Bush JR. That being said, things didn't really start going bad until the Dem's took over two years ago. Only the other side of the coin, if Bush and his all Republican band the first 6 years would have steam rolled changes like the Demecrates are doing now, maybe we wouldn't be having these problems. They could have stopped the Fannie and Freddie mess a long time ago. And just for the record I think Paulson is a Demecrate and create the first bail out mess to say his friends.

They are all corrupt, but the group we have in there now is totally destoying this country and even shredding the Constitution to do it. I say throw all of them out. Let's set term limits.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
True both political parties were hellbent on making this happen. Haha... we elected a Demoncrat, to save us from Republican spending??
Two sides of the same coin.

What worries me... Look past this current problem, but instead to where it is going.

During the Great Depression, many extended families lived together in a single home. AND most families had gardens.

This time, I think we will be looking at most people losing their property. No place for a garden to create food...
Most land in the continental US is owned by government. We would not even be allowed to squat on a small square of land, and garden there.

They have much more control over the resources this time around. I consider the last depression, a training exercise. They have it perfected this time around...

I agree with most of what your saying but the great depression had the element of an ecological disaster across the enitre mid west. That is the major difference between now and then.....unless there IS a enviromental disaster, then it will be much worse.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

You make it sound like we could just call up a congressman and make it all go away. That's not going to happen, but that's not what you really want anyway. You want Obama supporters to admit they were wrong so you can say "I told you so". Right? Even if they did, what would that do to help resolve the situation? Nothing.

I know that calling up Congressmen doesn't work...i've tried that...believe me.

I don't want Obama supporters to admit they were wrong...I want them to stop supporting anything he puts up blindly...they are making the same mistake that the hardcore Bush supporters did...and look at where that got us?

If people do not start realizing that they are continuously being misled then how will the cycle ever end?

Do you want the same thing to happen again next election? A flooding of people voting Republican and not holding that guy accountable as well?

This is the point i'm trying to make.

Just because it's "our guy" doesn't give them a freebie to screw up at will.

Accountability...we all need to do it...for everyone.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

It's a bandage to stop the bleeding so the patient doesn't die on the table before surgery...

That's a lot of bandages.

Take your assumptions and shove them where the sun doesn't shine

These kinda comments don't help the conversation.

I personally see a dang if you do and dang if you don't. If he keeps spending, he gets criticized. If he starts cutting he gets criticized. So as far as the President he loses either way. However, he knew this was the case from the get go. So I figure he felt man enough to take the heat. And so far I give him the credit for doing so.

What I see, and maybe it is just me, is that Obama went for a lot. Instead of just focusing on the economy and get the banking, housing and credit problem back in order, he had to throw in his healthcare and probably other pet projects. Things that I feel he could have done or waited to do till after he got the economy going again. I really feel that what Obama has done has diverted a lot of attention off the main problem and that is the reason people are so divided on what to do.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
See one of the biggest problems IMHO is we keep spending to get out of debt. But by spending we are going into debt even more. I heard something on the radio the other day and agree somewhat with it. Basically our best option just might be to ride out this recession or depression instead of spending more trying to fix it. It's kind of like a car loan. You get a loan to pay off the car but get behind and what do many people do? Get another loan to pay of that loan. Except we are falling behind on the second loan in the US and are looking for more to pay of the first loans.

We are spending ourselves into oblivion and how can anyone expect more spending to fix the spending problem?

Politics are completely tweaked anyways. Politicians are tweaked or controlled in some way otherwise they would not be in office.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I agree with you and unfortunately some do not realize that "ALL" politics and politicians are ultimately tweaked, at least the ones that are in positions of power.

The politicians are pawns regardless of their promises before and after the election process.
I could elaborate but it will suffice to say I agree with you.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Republicans are fine ones to be speaking.

Doomsday started in the past and Obama's budget is just a continuation of it.

Let me ask you something.

Did you take an oath to uphold, and defend the Constitution?

I am asking because I see you posting the Marine motto alongside our flag.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

If you keep nagging them, and you send them links, as well as you tell your friends and acquaintances about this, and let them see what is going on with evidence, they will listen to you.

If they don't you can always request and go to local meetings in your city with other citizens who are just as concerned as you are, and you can tell them what you think.

If enough of us unite and leave behind all the bickering, they will listen to us.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

Although ity is not true of all politicians, yes many are corrupt, but who put them in power and who can fire them?

We do still have choices, but we do not have too long before all of our options are taken out of the table.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The thing is... if Obama's policies actually work... and anyone in their right mind is going to want them to work... the GOP and those posting here... will never admit it.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
The thing is... if Obama's policies actually work... and anyone in their right mind is going to want them to work... the GOP and those posting here... will never admit it.

Oh I see, and the fact that he has broken already most of the promises he made before he got elected, and has even been laughing as if it were a joke when he was asked in an interview about the economic crisis, you claim that his policies will work?

Work on what exactly?

His administration gave total control of all educational programs to what they call The Corporation, and the Corporation has the final say on everything that has to do with educational programs, as well as volunteer, and required/mandatory Community Service.

His administration is not only going after semi-automatic weapons, but after every weapon every American has, even though he claimed this would not happen.

His inauguration is the most expensive ever, even at a time when we knew, and still know we are facing a global economic crisis, which is affecting Americans, and will only get worse.

We have also discovered not only that his administration requested the treasury to modify the jargon used in the bill to add bonuses to CEOs in large companies.

His administration is also talking about implementing carbon taxes on pretty much everything, even though he claimed there would not be any new taxes for Americans who did not make more than $200k (can't remember the exact figure)

So tell us, in what do you see the policies of the current administration working?....

[edit on 23-3-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I said if they do work (and the economy turns around) you guys will never admit it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join