It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP predicts doomsday if Obama budget passed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

GOP predicts doomsday if Obama budget passed

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Congressional Republicans on Sunday predicted a doomsday scenario of crushing debt and eventual federal bankruptcy if President Barack Obama's massive spending blueprint wins passage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I am not Republican but I think a good point is being made here. It almost seems that the current administration is hellbent on spending the nation into economic oblivion. I don't know if it is intentional or the administration is just that naive.

It frankly scares the crap out of me. Where this could all go is even more frightening. An American Restoration is needed forthright but people should be careful not to incite overreaction. I would rather hope when congressional elections come around a new balance of power is achieved.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

It almost seems that the current administration is hellbent on spending the nation into economic oblivion.

Many people are starting to believe this. I'm one of them because it doesn't make sense. If you look at the numbers it doesn't even seem plausible to keep spending and increasing deficits.

There needs to be massive cuts in government spending..and some of those cuts are going to hurt people. It's either that or raise taxes which will also hurt people.

We are in very bad shape as a country. I really don't know how we are going to come out of it.

There are just so many things that are going against us...the economy, debt, war, mexico, etc.

It's going to be an insane year...that i know for certain.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I certainly have to agree with this. His policies and rhetoric since the election are very scary.

This budget is amazingly huge and passing it will most likely put them in a position of not being able to pay back any of it, leading the US to file for bankrupcy yet again.

Being a Canadian I might be less worried that you fellow Americans however I do see the potential of all this landing in our hands as well, we here in Nort America have a hell of a couple a years ahead of us, we best pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and prepare.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Republicans are fine ones to be speaking.

Doomsday started in the past and Obama's budget is just a continuation of it.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Republicans are fine ones to be speaking.

Very true. They taught Dems how to spend the last 8 years. That's another thing that bothers me...do these people really show concern? Or is it all political?

Although I think he's right...much of what this guy said is what many of us believe will happen....it's just difficult to hear it from a Republican. It's also difficult to hear it from a Democrat.

So who really stands up for the people?

Few...if any.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Simple fact of the matter is that Congress is in a no win situation.

I estimate we are about 60 trillion in the hole. If Congress continues this that number will increase drastically.

If Congress tries to lower this they will have to slash many, and I do mean many, entitlements and doing this will bring more anger from the American public than what is currently being shown. Mainly because many Americans have become dependent upon those benefits.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Mainly because many Americans have become dependent upon those benefits.

Right. My father is one of them. He is on both Medicare and Social Security. He's been on it for a long time due to a nasty car accident that he didn't cause. It's actually not enough for him to live off of alone..luckily he's married to a good woman who helps make ends meet.

I worry about it. But what can Congress do? Crank up taxes on everyone to try to pay off this debt? How would that turn around a recession? Cut benefits such as medicare and social security? How in the world can they do that without a huge amount of anger?

Just looking at it, the more I get the sense that there is no real way out of this. There is going to be tough times no matter what road they choose to take.

I just hope that they do not destroy our currency...or destroy the foundation of this country, our Constitution.

Right now they seem hellbent on both.

We'll see what happens.

I can tell you one thing...i'm getting tired of worrying about it!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
True both political parties were hellbent on making this happen. Haha... we elected a Demoncrat, to save us from Republican spending??
Two sides of the same coin.

What worries me... Look past this current problem, but instead to where it is going.

During the Great Depression, many extended families lived together in a single home. AND most families had gardens.

This time, I think we will be looking at most people losing their property. No place for a garden to create food...
Most land in the continental US is owned by government. We would not even be allowed to squat on a small square of land, and garden there.

They have much more control over the resources this time around. I consider the last depression, a training exercise. They have it perfected this time around...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

many extended families lived together in a single home. AND most families had gardens.

I wonder how many people even know how to tend to a garden?

The living together in one house is also a good issue you raise.

It can be done but are Americans really ready to make the sacrifice needed?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The GOP got us into this in the first place.

I'm not inclined to put too much faith in their ideology at the moment.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

The main problem with gardens is that people living in cities can't do it at all. Is everyone in New York City going to make a garden in Central Park (or whatever the park there is called)?
Not gonna happen.

People in cities are the ones who need to wake up...those are the people who will be hurting the most.

For people like me who don't live in the city...i think we'll be fine.

This could actually bring people together in a way. Everyone seems to be so separated now. The importance of family is not what it used to be and something i think many people in this country are severely lacking.

I don't think that this is gone...it's just been forgotten.

Who knows...in the end...after all of the dust settles and we see some light at the end of the tunnel...maybe it will be for the better...at least on those terms?

Dunno...i'm just blabbering.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The current administration is taking advantage of the economic crisis to push through spending bills that would otherwise be blocked.

They are doing that in just the same way that the Bush administration used the events of 9/11 to wage war on an otherwise unsupportable scale.

Same dance, different tune.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I agree if it is passed, it will do a lot of financial damage. We just don't have enough money, especially after the wall street bail out.

They will have to cut a lot of programs to get the money. Some of the programs are in need of a drastic overhaul anyway though. Look at social security alone, it is being used for things that it was not intended to be used for.

I see no problem with people that have worked receiving social security benefits if they can no longer work, that's what it was intended for. However this system they have now where children receive 4,5.6 hundred dollars a month because they have ADDH, or were born prematurely is not what it was intended for. Nor should it be used to support alchoholics, or drug addicts. If they would cut out those things, it would save a lot of money.

If they pass this they need to trim a lot of fat from programs that needlessly drain this economy of money, especially during these hard times.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

It can be done but are Americans really ready to make the sacrifice needed?

We are quickly approaching the sink or swim point. If they want to survive the hard times they're going to have to make the sacrifices whether they're ready, or not.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

We reached the Sink point when the FOMC decided to buy our own debt from us. You know what they are doing? Paying off their Visa card with their VISA CARD. Does that sound like it will work?

Add into that the last company to try and get a profit from Toxic assets was Enron.

Yeah, Enron.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
You all voted him into office. So you can reap what you sew. Ive never backed Obama even before he became the rock star savior everyone makes him out to be. 90% of Americans are stupid and naive, where as the ones with any sense are agreeing in this thread that his plans are naive and will collapse our country. Hate to say I told you so to those who voted this guy in. Granted McCain wasnt better, Ron Paul probably was the only candidate that I could of remotely supported, but even still I wasnt impressed with this election's options. Aw well I guess we can spend the rest of our numbered days as American citizens laughing and admiring Obama as he makes jokes about the special olympics on Leno and sends kiss a55 videos to Ahmadinejad in Tehran.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
The GOP got us into this in the first place.

No they didnt, and have you forgotten that it is congress who approves all spending? Who has been in control of congress for the past two going on three years?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ki11ma11

I didn't vote for either candidate. Just a little 411 atcha.
The whole democrat/republican argument is futile at this point anyways, we're stuck with what we have.
Now as to an actual solution to the situation, there really aren't that many options. Flee the country? Peaceful revolution? Suck the D as we've been forced to do for so long?
I'm honestly at a loss right now, this whole situation just keeps spiraling downwards and I have no idea what's coming next. We might be able to change things if we all get together and UNITE on this, demand a change in policy, leadership, whatever. But how many average joe's are going to actually get off the couch?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'll go on record and predict a doomsday scenario REGARDLESS if the budget passes or not.
I don't think it will pass, though.

And hey, while we are cutting entitlements, lets cut federal education grants while we are at it.
Keen idea.
Watch them do it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join