It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have never before seen anything like this

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel
I've heard of some atmospheric effects/illusions from backscatter. They are rare (like the "green flash" at sundown, which I've never seen, but is real) Was the sun directly behind you at the time?

Yes, I'm familiar with atmospheric optical effects like the green flash, light columns, sun dogs, etc and I can categorically state it wasn't a result of light refraction/reflection. This thing had a perfect geometric structure as I depicted it above.

WG3

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
Thanx for taking the time and effort to make such a concise and interesting report. Balloons can be written out of the equation if you can find the weather data for the day and the wind was above their safe operating envelop..

It was acalm sunny day. Hot air ballooning would be a great way to spend it, but it looked like no balloon to me. But who knows?

As for your sighting... well, it seems to fit into a whole category of sky borne objects that just seem too crazy to be real. There is a bit of a myth that all UFOs are saucer shapes. Often reported sightings are far from it with some , aerodynamically, ludicrous shapes being spotted...

That's why I reported it.

WG3

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SumnerKagan
That looks similar to the "Light Columns" that were seen all over Europe a couple months ago.

Yes I'm familiar with most optical effects produced by the atmosphere on sunlight. See my answer to mbkennel's post above.

WG3

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Very interesting. The fuzzy edge of the object on your drawing, is it something you feel confident about? Was it glowing or not? What was the angular size, approximately?

About the distance I think you got a good estimation from your own car's fast movement. A nearby object would be seen moving against the trees in the background. So your estimation is much more likely to be accurate than a static observer's.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
A few ideas off the top of my head. Not good but may help understand your vision.

-A column of orange smoke, from an explosion or a malfunction in a chemical plant far away. It would be interesting to look at possible industrial sites in the area.

-A contrail, not vertical but straight to the left. Not likely because at 11am it wouldn't be colored yellowish orange.

No other idea now

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
why not clear this up by calling round the hot air ballooning companies in the area and ask if they have a huge rectangular balloon.

you say it was to your left but you don't seem to mention your direction of travel and you say near york but thatcould be 1 mile or 20, would you mind being a little more precise about you location and direction of travel?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by nablator
Very interesting. The fuzzy edge of the object on your drawing, is it something you feel confident about? Was it glowing or not? What was the angular size, approximately?

I cannot be sure it was as fuzzy as I drew it. I didn't want it to appear 'close' by. I fuzzed the edges with the software. You shouldn't read more into it than that. The angular size was fairly small, it seemed a good way off. I had about 15 seconds to take it in. The angular size shown in my drawing is about right.

About the distance I think you got a good estimation from your own car's fast movement. A nearby object would be seen moving against the trees in the background. So your estimation is much more likely to be accurate than a static observer's.

Yes, over the distance covered during my observation, there was no significant parallax between us, the trees and the object. It seemed a good way off.

The next time I go that way, I'll try to get a better assessment of the landscape. I need to check the possibility of an 'illusion' of some kind. I am pretty knowledgeable in optics, telescopes, light properties, etc. so the only explanation I can think of is that I mistook some large feature in the countryside for an aerial object.I remember a tall steel pylon of conventional grid construction with radio coms on it. How such a feature could appear so elevated, solid and floating defies logic at present. I'm not sure it's even in that direction.

I will post a Google map reference if anyone wishes to search the area.

WG3

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by waveguide3
The angular size shown in my drawing is about right.

I don't understand. Did you mention the field of view in your reconstruction? Better yet, tell us how wide/high without a drawing. Would a thumb cover it at arm's length? The index finger? Half a finger? This is important because you already have a rather good estimation of a lower bound for distance.

[edit on 2009-3-23 by nablator]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
why not clear this up by calling round the hot air ballooning companies in the area and ask if they have a huge rectangular balloon.

I contacted the primary balloon operator in the area (Balloon Rides Ltd) and discussed it with the manager. He couldn't explain what I saw, even after making some informed guesses such as a large kite, helium envelope,etc. They didn't have any balloons flying at that time. They don't have a balloon of such a design and he didn't know of one. He said 'It sounds like a UFO'. I said that's what I'm trying to determine.

You say it was to your left but you don't seem to mention your direction of travel and you say near york but that could be 1 mile or 20, would you mind being a little more precise about you location and direction of travel?

I'm preparing some Google map references so anyone interested can follow my route and survey the land where I observed the phenomenon. Find the village of Escrick on the A19 just a little south of York. I was travelling north and saw the thing about two miles from Escrick.

WG3

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by waveguide3

thanks for the info.

this is a nice sighting. i really enjoy it when the reporter is willing to accept something besides aliens as the explanation, it somehow feels a more reliable report and more intriguing where it is left unidentified. great stuff, thanks for sharing OP.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hi WG3,

-What made you think it was floating at a high altitude since X's angular height in your simulation is < 20° ? => is it related to your distance estimations (> 1 mile) or an educated guess based on your visual observation skills (e.g. atmospheric absorption) ?

-Could you be more specific about min/max values regarding altitude ?

-Did you check on the weather data to find out about max visibility that day in this specific location ?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Europa

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Europa733]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
One thing in your account does stand out.

This object appeared to be floating at high altitude and I estimate it was at least a mile away. It seemed stationary but impossible to tell. I could see no details at all, just the perfectly rectangular shape and pale color.

By what means did you estimate the altitude and distance? I have seen first hand how people can mistake a small, low object for a high, large object.

I've seen videos of solar balloon flying at that attitude. Black is the usual color for them but it could be one, or just a helium balloon. Any chance it was a daytime flight of a sky lantern?

[edit on 3/22/2009 by Phage]

I would guess maybe his science and astronomy background had something to do with it.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nablator

Originally posted by waveguide3
The angular size shown in my drawing is about right.

I don't understand. Did you mention the field of view in your reconstruction?

My field of view was that of a right hand drive car driver looking to the left through the windscreen. The object appeared to be stationary in the air above the treeline. I meant the angular size from top to bottom of the object itself. Someone asked a question about angular size and that's what I said.

Better yet, tell us how wide/high without a drawing. Would a thumb cover it at arm's length? The index finger? Half a finger? This is important because you already have a rather good estimation of a lower bound for distance.

I'd say a thumb at arm's length would cover the object quite easily. Remember I saw it for a relatively short time so all I can use is my image recollection. I didn't have chance to do any measurements, I was driving at 50-55mph. The drawing is what I estimate would have been observed if I were stationary outside the car. The distance to the tree line in the mock up is more or less as I recall it, assuming this photo is what you see by eye. There were a few trees between me and the trees in the distance. It's not intended to be a zoomed or telescopic view. The relative scale of the object and furthest trees is about what I observed.

WG3

[edit on 23-3-2009 by waveguide3]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

That is exactly like the object I saw earlier this year and posted about on ats immediately afterward only the color was white. and it was much higher in the sky. It was enormous.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Europa733
What made you think it was floating at a high altitude since X's angular height in your simulation is < 20° ? => is it related to your distance estimations (> 1 mile) or an educated guess based on your visual observation skills (e.g. atmospheric absorption) ?

I think my use of the term 'high' is ambiguous. I initially thought it was a stone building, but it was clearly much too high for anything that exits in the locality. I guess Escrick parish church steeple must be about the highest stone/solid structure in the area and the object was significantly higher. I couldn't compare them symultaneously because I was too far away from the village to see it, but I'm sufficiently familiar with it to be satisfied on this point. The fact that I could see sky above the tree line and below the object suggested to me it was 'high'. If you were to press me for a figure, I would say several hundred feet above the ground, but less than a thousand. That is perhaps not 'high' in other circumstances, but in the leafy Yorkshire countryside, that's pretty high. Had there been a typical 330 kilovolt transmission pylon at the treeline, I'd say it's lower edge was somewhat higher than that.

Could you be more specific about min/max values regarding altitude?
No

Did you check on the weather data to find out about max visibility that day in this specific location?

No I didn't. Visibility was excellent. Sunday 22 March 2009 was a calm bright sunny day with little wind. The Balloon Rides company guy remarked what a super day it had been. I asked if that weather was good for hot air ballooning and he said it was a little late in the morning (the time was around 11am). Why I don't know, I guess it's better when the air is cooler/denser. I didn't seek any deeper information about hot air ballooning.

Hope that 'helps'.

WG3

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
There is a photographer by the name of David Spoor who managed to get video of an object similar to what we have seen. It appears at about 1:14 in this video.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Thank you very much for your clarifications.

This makes sens to me now since you stipulated that you've lost sight of it and could not find it back afterwords. In other words, it could not have been that "high" in the sky.

It would be nice if you could post a (google) map like you said you would.

In my opinion, chances are that it was a balloon (helium or air filled ?) since they come in different shapes and size. It was probably tied to the ground since it was a nice sunny day (heat) and a solar or a helium balloon would go up and you would not have lost it from sight if it was catching altitude since they are no mountains or big hills & big buildings in the area.

Correct me If I am wrong about the landscape but that's just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Europa

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
OK, for anyone interested, here's some Google Earth data for my sighting.

I was driving north on the A19 towards York, UK at around 11am Sunday 22 March 2009. I saw the object when I was about two miles south of Escrick village. I had just passed the tile works/quarry at 53°51'95"N, 1°03'85"W.

Sighting started when car was at 53°51'38"N, 1°03'02"W looking north west towards some trees. I guess these were in the small wood at 53°51'51"N, 1°03'52"W.
There is also a tree-line along a small road running parallel to the A19 which I would have also seen. Observation continued to the point where the A19 sweeps right. After that point, the hedgerows were high enough to obscure my view. This was a problem all the way into Escrick, by which time the area was built up. The parish church I mentioned is at the north end of the village as the A19 exits.

I visited a local newspaper (Selby Times) office this afternoon and asked if there had been any reports of anything unusual in the skies near York. They said no, which is a bit disappointing considering the traffic on the A19. Interestingly, Selby Times published a UFO Report just two weeks ago. It seems the area is a well known hot spot. Not that I had noticed - until Sunday! I'll keep an eye out for the upcoming issue. I remain open minded, but bemused as to the explanation.

Had it not been a totally rotten day today (gales/rain/hail), I would have taken a trip back on the A19 for another looksee. I was hoping the lighting/sunshine would repeat itself. Don't know when I'll be there again, but I'd like to satisfy myself that there isn't an obvious answer.

WG3

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Having witnessed a few odd (but somewhat explainable) things in populated areas, one thing that has consistently surprised me is how few people notice. I wonder if there's a situation that nobody wants to be the person who saw something first - maybe sticking a message on local internet forums or writing to the local paper asking for witnesses would help. It's very frustrating to be a lone voice when you've seen something odd and you have my sympathy.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackphotohobby

Having witnessed a few odd (but somewhat explainable) things in populated areas, one thing that has consistently surprised me is how few people notice. I wonder if there's a situation that nobody wants to be the person who saw something first - maybe sticking a message on local internet forums or writing to the local paper asking for witnesses would help. It's very frustrating to be a lone voice when you've seen something odd and you have my sympathy.

A few years ago we had some builder doing some work on the house. The question of when easter was came up. I remarked it was down to the phases of the moon how Easter is placed each year. The builder looked at me and said

"Wouldn't know mate, never look at the sky"..

I think that statement answers your question as to why so many people miss things that are, to others, obvious...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join