It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kroft to Obama: Are you punch drunk?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
When faced with the absurdity of the economic and bureaucratic folly one inherits, the wise man will discern the foolishness of its self-importance and, if he would value his sanity, laugh.

Do not argue with fools.
You cannot win when your opponent is incapable of recognizing his own defeat.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

My complaint is the abundance of criticism directed at Obama's character or the man himself rather than his politics or policies. My complaint is that there has been an unconscionable level of ridiculous whining over the stupidest things having to do with Obama rather than dealing with the crisis and matters at hand.

Have you just recently started following politics? George W. Bush was ridiculed by people both left and right from day one about his goofy southern Texas drawl, which is no slight to Southerners or Texas but this was a guy born and raised in Connecticut and Maine for heavens sake that attended Yale! People on both the left and the right made fun of and lamented his poor pronuciation skills, hesitancy and awakwardness in front of the cameras and many things about his personal traits.

Now that's assuming you or old enough or care enough to look back eight years.

Look back 30 to Gerald Ford. Chevy Chase built a career out of mocking the man's stumbling and bumbling and slips, who despite them had been a collegiant athlete and life long avid swimmer. Making fun of Jerry Ford is what made Saturday Night Live a household staple back in the 1970's.

This comes with high office and the big leagues.

So does having to perform and a maintaining a certain decorum in how you do things.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
Jesus christ give the man 90 days before you start the pointless baseless attacks that really come across as some kind of unconscious racism more than kind of legit criticism. The anti-Obama sentiment in this country since he took office has been absolutely pathetic. There has been so few criticism based in any kind of reality and so much dramatic insulting non-sense being said by people who are obviously just not comfortable with Obama for one reason or another unrelated to politics. The conservative and racist sects in this country have just become silly children since Jan. 20th

[edit on 22-3-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

Racism? Yeah go ahead and throw out the race card.

Obama certainly be ineffective as a man can he? No he's got to be because he's BLACK.

Give me a break and your race arguments from Nov 6th on are moot.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I have not seen one 'BASELESS" comment on his performance here. So far, the people he has "CHOSEN" to be his insider group have either been in cahoots with the very problems of our economy or have been those that have actualy done the dirty deeds first hand. If that's baseless then just what criteria do you use to verify what he has done right?, Christ, the FED pulled a fast one on us Frday that will drive the dollar out of existance if the risky scheme doesn't work!

Zindo

[edit on 3/22/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I really don't agree and actually think its the opposite. People love Obama. People want to have beers with him - I certainly do. He's cool, he's smart, I think he "gets" people and is a regular gent. People like him and his character has never been called into question that I have seen.

Folks are concerned about his plans. Folks are concerned about the execution of reasonably basic things like vetting candidates. Folks are concerned by the team he has in place(and the team he can't get in place). Folks are concerned by the overly scripted tone. Folks are concerned that when ever he is off teleprompter he makes a gaffe. Here is a guy who is amazing giving a speach. Not a single "uh" or "um". Flawless. Without the prompter, he's a bit like Jackie Gleason in the Honymooners "uminauminaumina". It just makes the whole package seem fake. Finally folks don't want a rock star as president. they want a serious person who adopts a tone which appropriately reflects the situation the country finds itself in. Joking about bowling and the NCAA when folks are losing their jobs, retirement plans, homes and health insurance, I'm sorry, but it simply is not presidential.

Right now we need a serious person who can execute solid and focused plans. We are not getting that at the moment.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
Jesus christ give the man 90 days before you start the pointless baseless attacks that really come across as some kind of unconscious racism more than kind of legit criticism. The anti-Obama sentiment in this country since he took office has been absolutely pathetic. There has been so few criticism based in any kind of reality and so much dramatic insulting non-sense being said by people who are obviously just not comfortable with Obama for one reason or another unrelated to politics. The conservative and racist sects in this country have just become silly children since Jan. 20th

Well, here we go. A liberal pulling the old race card again. This one is just for you pal:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
His diplomatic skills are pretty shaky too, it seems.
DVDs? Come on.

And like Dolphinfan has said (starred two of your posts, btw. spot-on) now is not the time to be laughing on national television while the country is in a serious crisis.
Imagine if Bush had been laughing after 9-11. People would have strung him up.
Although he was seen at the golf course. But at least he was steadfast in his message about getting the job done.

AT LEAST LIE TO ME WELL ENOUGH THAT IT DOESN'T PISS ME OFF.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Heck, at first I even defended the DVD thing. I thought perhaps he was pissed off with Brown. It is appearing more and more that the guy simply has no class.
Jokes about mentally challenged people?

Anyone remember the grief that Ben Stiller got over the "retard" comments in Tropic Thunder?

I guess it is okay to show a complete lack of sophistication if you are the President? No, unacceptable.

He isn't much different from Bush in this respect. Actually, in a few respects.

He blatently talks out both sides of his mouth and laughs about it because people are mesmerized by his "eloquence?"
It doesn't even make sense. The dude is a hypnotist, I'm sure of it.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Here is the interview:

Watch CBS Videos Online: www.cbsnews.com...

Edit to add: The reporter isn't really attacking Obama when he asks him if he is punch drunk. Its around 13:30 in the video. However, the laughters to me sounds like a nervous laughter from a person who just doesn't get it.

I really don't think he knows what he is doing, and I think he laughs because he KNOWS that he doesn't know what he is doing.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by finemanm]

[edit on 22-3-2009 by finemanm]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit
[moreI resent the term neo con personally. I am a true conservative and have been all my life. I believe in the constitution. I am not looking for some religious revival, but I do want thes country to return to the foundations upon which it was built. Our constitution, while imperfect, is one of the most well thought out documents I have ever had the pleasure to read. Short and to the point, able to be amended, and improved as needed. What more could you want?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Thanks for linking the interview.

Anyone else get a kick out of how he completely dodged the question about whether he thought the law was unconstitutional? Of course it is. That's why he didn't answer it. This is a disgrace.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

Please don't do that. It is so empty in light of the situation we are in. I'm sure you may find people like that in your circles, don't bring that ugliness here.

When people lament, they always blame the people they see, the people who 'could have done things differently' and didn't - for whatever reason. Right now, there appears to be many people out there, who voted Obama, and crossed their fingers, because all they knew was that another neoconservative administration was likely to be our downfall... sadly, they are realizing it was already too late, given the no-change nature of the political parties in charge.

I have to confess that the actions being taken by our Federal Government are of great concern to me. And frankly, I want to hear everyone's opinions, not just those you won't basely accuse of ignorance, without so much as any meaningful contribution to the conversation. That's kind of partisan zealotry belongs elsewhere.

MM

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The guy has absolutely 100% NO economic background... do you honestly think he's drafting these resolutions and legislation or choosing the wording? I would hazard a guess they are holding meetings without him and just appearing in the oval office to make him sign the dotted line. At least with Bush we knew he was arrogant enough to put his own power grabbing language and executive orders into everything he did, and everything he didn't do personally the scum bag dick cheney was there to take over..

Obama though has completed what... one term in senate? If that? .. Has no experience in the global community, has no experience with the economy (got rich selling one book, and only got rich when he made the public spotlight).. so he spends his time making NCAA brackets and video messages for Iran (which they pissed on then laughed at Obama)..

WTF where people thinking, seriously.....

And I have not even heard of Joe Biden since the election, he's the invisible man!

[edit on 3/22/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
People want to have beers with him - I certainly do. He's cool, he's smart, I think he "gets" people and is a regular gent.

Loved your post on page one, btw. And this is a very good point as well. But it applies to the last President as well as this one. And perhaps every President from Regan onward to some degree.

We need to stop picking Presidents because "they seem cool, it would be nice to have a beer with them," etc. We dont want a "regular guy" for President. You want that geek kid that no one liked and picked on in the playground who didnt care because he was a chess playing strategic mastermind who could think 20 moves ahead of everyone else. Or maybe not him, but someone like him who also had good social skills.

We dont pick doctors because they are handsome, or pretty, or "cool," or beer worthy. You pick them based on skill as much as you can. It should be the same with Presidents.

To the general public;
If you have a frustrated desire to be President yourself, either run for office or get over it. Dont vote in someone you think is "just like you." Vote in someone you think is the best possible fit for the job.

Although I am not an Obama basher, I also think he was too inexperienced for the job, and just not the best possible person. I didnt like the McCain ticket either. I think both of the main parties are selling us crap, and have been for decades.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Our president is to be pitied. He has been used and abused and it will continue until he is used up.

As far as the race issue, Mr. Obama may as well be green with pink polka dots. He is a puppet of who knows what group of people.

I believe the man really wanted to and thought he could do some good. He was fed a bill of goods that did not actually exist. He was promised the moon and beyond. It is not going to happen.

I did not support Mr. Obama because he lacked the basic experience needed to fill the job. Because of this lack of working knowledge he was primed, set up and elected.

Our concern now may need to be discovering who is pulling the puppets strings.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Interesting point. Where is that weasel Joe Biden anyhow?
Probably busy ramrodding the legislation designed to take ammunition out of the stores.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I once read something that suggested a large portion of the population votes solely on looks.
Whoever "looks the part."
Absurd. But it makes sense here. Obviously the guy was underqualified.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
reply to post by mybigunit
[moreI resent the term neo con personally. I am a true conservative and have been all my life. I believe in the constitution. I am not looking for some religious revival, but I do want thes country to return to the foundations upon which it was built. Our constitution, while imperfect, is one of the most well thought out documents I have ever had the pleasure to read. Short and to the point, able to be amended, and improved as needed. What more could you want?

I want what you want. The problem is the "conservatives" have been hi jacked by the religious right. Im sorry I dont believe in telling people how to like their lives. I believe in true small government where you live your own life the way you want as long as you dont infringe on others liberty and you obey contracts. If we lived like this there would be no need for income taxes and we would actually be able to keep our own money. It would make us more liked around the world because we wouldnt be policing the world and getting into everyones business. With the religious right we will never get this for they want some quazai religious state like Iran only Christian.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
OK, rather than to respond to another pointless Anti-Obama thread, I think I will just sit back and recite the Serenity Prayer a few hundred times.

The last time I responded to one of these it cost me 1,000 precious points. How does that saying go...........Fool me once..............I won't get fooled again or something?

Oh well, since I'm already here. President Obama has been in office fewer days than Bush took in vacation days.

He is being humble, accessible and bound to make a few slips. He is a man of the people and as a human, fallible. Did you expect a "Perfect President?"

I read it as nervous laugh, since Steve Kroft was acting like Perry Mason. I thought the entire interview was insightful and informative. He is talking TO the people, not AT the people. I like that in a leader.

Obviously the Press will have open access to the Whitehouse and not relegated to "Barney the Dog" stories.

Regards...KK

[edit on 22-3-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

He has been in office fewer days than Bush took in vacation days.

Hm. If we are going to bring up vacation days and the President....

1. You really think that when a president takes "vacation" he is taking a vacation like you or I would??? NO! Just because they are not sitting in the oval office and may be in a more "pleasurable" physical environment does NOT mean they are NOT working. In fact, they do work. I seriously doubt any president actually ever gets a "vacation". This argument is absolutely ridiculous and needs to just end.

2. Obama took a "vacation" 3 weeks into his term. So, please tell me the justification in this? Because any argument you can come up with can be applied to Bush, Clinton, and the next presidents that will hold office.

Give it up. This is about OBAMA now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join