It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't many Christians care about the environment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
From my experience, the welfare of Christianity is in most sects limited only to the human species.

Many Christians believe animals have no souls, or even no feelings, and that they were basically put here for Mankind to use and abuse.

Don't you think if Jesus lived in the 21st century, he would be VERY concerned about the environment? I sure as hell do.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Which item are you addressing....the environment or animals and if they have souls or not????

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Another Troll thread , m8, take the time to do a little research, start a interesting thread ,

Its worth the effort

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Many Christians believe animals have no souls, or even no feelings, and that they were basically put here for Mankind to use and abuse.

I would really like to understand this too? After all that book sayes "thou shall not kill".

I would like to understand how Christians feel about this?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I am a christian and i know that animals have feelings, my dogs can sulk for England if you tell them off.

I have often wondered about souls though and as the subject is not mentioned in the bible i just hope that they do have them.

As my brother told me, If dogs don't go to heaven, i want to go where they go.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seany

Another Troll thread , m8, take the time to do a little research, start a interesting thread ,

Its worth the effort

Enough of the troll witch-hunt PLEASE.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

From my experience, the welfare of Christianity is in most sects limited only to the human species.

Don't you think if Jesus lived in the 21st century, he would be VERY concerned about the environment? I sure as hell do.

Probably the fact that they are to busy saving souls and the fact that the only time the earth is spoken of as "needing care" was for agriculture, which everyone has lost touch with, not only Christians. We are supposed to let the soil rest a year at the end of every 6 years according to the bible. Other then that, it's not spoken of in the bible really.

Environmentalism is just Christianity with another name. Save a tree, save a person, save a coupon....Nothing is actually saved but the planet anyway. Everything you own, will go to the dump sooner or later.

You sure as hell do Jesus...Cool

You know his name means something right? His name is really a verb not a noun. His title is Jesus the Christ which translates..."Self existent salvation anointed"....and you are him. You read your own mind.

Self=you
Existent=you
Salvation=up to you
Anointed=a baby

Peace

Like this:
"John, Jacob, Jingle Himer schmidt...his name is my name too."

[edit on 22-3-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Christianity is just my "base religion", so to speak. Christ taught many good things, but the actual miracles he performed are a moot point. I don't care about his "miracles". Such things are completely unconfirmable. But getting back on topic, yes, I'm sure animals have souls. They are living beings, ones that feel pain, but the way I see it is that they perceive things in a different way. Pain could be a very different feeling for them since they have different brains.

I'm not saying that you should torture animals just for the heck of it, but that sentience is a matter of degree. Dogs are man's best friend, as they say, or in my eyes the animal that humans relate to the easiest. Then there's the issue of cats and what not... But my point is that if it is flesh and blood, it has some measure of knowing. Insects and the like are more like building blocks, really. They perform smaller tasks that keep the world functioning.

People should be concerned about the planet, yes. But the human race is going through a time in which it is basically saying "we are tired of the ways of the past". The reason why we will conquer these tough times is simple. It's called the internet. Free exchange of knowledge means that everyone will have their chance to contribute to a better future, even if they are just speaking about certain topics.

Of course, actions always speak louder than words. Words can only ever hope to inspire others to do what they need to do in order to fix our problems as a whole.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Actually there is a history behind it.

Originally it was thought that Christ would return shortly so that simply was not the focus of the early Christians.

Then there is the passage in Genesis:

"Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth." And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.

Which was interpreted as giving man the freedom to do with the earth as he pleased and that is how many funnymentalists have interpreted it...

... then you have the attitude expressed by Ronald Reagan's first Sec. of the Interior James G. Watts that since Christ was returning we didn't have to look after the earth.

Fortunately there are now many evangelical Christians who are beginning to see that caring for the earth is the Godly thing to do.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by grover]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I agree... another troll thread but let's play.

OK.... what the hell are you talking about? I hear a generalization. You could rename the thread "white people" "Asians" "Children" "Senior Citizens" whatever with that generalization.

Explain / Give and example of what you are talking about!

Are you a vegan complaining that people eat meat and wish to take it as a "christian" problem or what?

[edit on 22-3-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I'm not a 100% sure why I even will respond to this thread. Not that I am offended. It's obvious that you are picking on Christians for no apparent reason. Your comment is a prejudice comment. You are generalizing Christians into a category and accusing them of one single issue. Maybe the question you should be addressing here is, "why do some people not care about the environment, and why do others care?"

I have a question for you... Do you eat meat? Do you drive a car? Do you use electricity, oil, or gas? Do you throw into the garbage that which is harmful to the environment? These are just four things that destroy the environment, and almost the whole population does one of these four.

The bible does mention that God doesn't want the earth to be destroyed. The bible also mentions that animals can be used for food. So what was that about Jesus? Jesus obviously wants us to keep our environment from being destroyed, and he would also agree that it is alright for us to eat meat; by the way, I am a pesco vegetarian.

As for souls in animals... Hmmm. Do you believe in God? Maybe this is a question you should be asking God. As for mankind to use and abuse animals, the bible mentions that we are supposed to take care of them in Genesis.

I'm not so sure why you are so angry at Christians in general. I guess you would only truly know that; and God of course. But I wish you a great journey in life. We all have much to learn, and a lot of Love to give.

Peace!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Because Christians don't worship the Earth.

Like another poster suggested, try getting some good background info first.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Same reason they don't care about human life. They think that killing Arab kids doesn't count. When I tell them that Jesus would not stand for our war, they say I'm an anti-semite.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

Uhhhhhh.... God can take care of the environment. We will deal with the government and other countries who want to start ww3.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Actually there is a history behind it.

Originally it was thought that Christ would return shortly so that simply was not the focus of the early Christians.

Then there is the passage in Genesis:

"Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth." And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.

Which was interpreted as giving man the freedom to do with the earth as he pleased and that is how many funnymentalists have interpreted it...

... then you have the attitude expressed by Ronald Reagan's first Sec. of the Interior James G. Watts that since Christ was returning we didn't have to look after the earth.

Fortunately there are now many evangelical Christians who are beginning to see that caring for the earth is the Godly thing to do.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by grover]

Some of those "green plants" are now illegal. Seems to be some confusion over the wording "every green plant" and it now only means, every green plant that the government calls acceptable.

My Mom is Christian, just last week we were having a discussion and my daughter said she believes that animals have a soul. Well, you don't EVEN want to know how that discussion then followed. Leave it say that Mom does not believe animals have a soul. My daughter believes they do, and I don't know for sure, but I think they do.

Peace

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Where in the blabbering world did you ever accrue the information that lead towards such a ludicrous conclusion?

You obviously fail to even understand Christianity, or Christians. One of the basic teachings of Jesus is to show compassion towards all life. This is a prevalent Moral aspect throughout the ENTIRE Bible.

Not to mention Noah. If Christian teachings so demoralized and demonized animals as you say, then why would one of the greatest teachings of the entire Holy Book emanate from the savior of all Animal Species of the World?

I dare say that what you are speaking sources itself in your ignorance of the Religion, and/or your attempt to Slander others in hopes of inciting an argument.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I am is a powerful statement. But "Why" is the question one uses to get to the point of saying "I am". I think the OP has gotten stuck in asking why or that something has challenged a belief of his. But eventually you have to stop asking why and say I am or you will never find comfort in your life.

Why is a diagnostic question. It cannot be answered.

I am is what you are. It is the statement that you have chosen what you need for your life.

So in the context of animals, I'd say that everything has an effect on everything else. In other words, everything is connected. Be respectful to others and you will get respect in return. But remember that words are only words; they are just symbols of specific thoughts.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

or even no feelings, and that they were basically put here for Mankind to use and abuse.

As a Christian and a dog care-taker, i find that line offensive. We may not all be vegan PETA members but (most) Christians certainly do abuse animals (there's always loonies in every group). If that's honestly what you believe about Christians, i suggest spending some time with one.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Thanks to grover for the quote from Genesis. I was going to quote it but was beaten to it. I should point out that that bit is generally interpreted as meaning that we have been given stewardship over the Earth, and we should manage it wisely, not that we have a license from God to mercilessly slaughter the flora and fauna on this planet.

As to animals having souls, I personally believe that they do, although the Bible is silent on that specific point. Really, though, what difference does it make when we are able to so coolly and ruthlessly slaughter our fellow men without regret in places like Darfur and Burundi?

Surely humane animal husbandry and the quick Kosher or Halal slaughter of animals for food is more Christian than what many humans are subjected to on a daily basis in much of the world?

Interestingly enough, I am not a "Christian" in the Pentecostal or Evangelical sense. As mentioned previously, I do believe that we have been granted stewardship of this planet, and we should do our best to live up to that responsibility.

new topics

top topics

join