It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens Could Spend 25 Years in Prison for Allegedly Torturing Cat, Setting It on Fire

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
well, where i come from, (the UK) we dont even get near 25 years for killing another human being. i think alot of people have this or that to say about america, but one thing is for sure, you commit a crime over there and you do get the punishment you deserve. If only they'd adopt the same policy over in this soft touch country instead of worrying about the criminals human rights, maybe we wouldnt have so many problems. i say hopefully the 2 young men who did this do get a lot of time, maybe 25 years is pretty heavy, but some jail time would be good

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Good, the POSSIBILITY of 25 years is more than adequate.

2nd line

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
reply to post by Dutty_Rag

Wow, you're so liberal and stand up for human "rights", I hope that works out for you. people kill animals all the time, but setting it on fire is sick, they are sick. The judge made a stand hopefully others will follow, then maybe people will stop thinking it's OK and FUN. Maybe you're right maybe with a good telling of they would have become fine upstanding citizens.

I'm pretty sure if you knew these kids personally you'd know that the prospect of spending 25 years behind would be enough to make even the toughest of people eternally repentant. It worries me that you see it fit that kids should have their lives ruined over a CAT. Do you value animal life more than human life?

At least the cat didn't have to suffer 25 years of torment like these kids will..... the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by spuddyboy
well, where i come from, (the UK) we dont even get near 25 years for killing another human being. i think alot of people have this or that to say about america, but one thing is for sure, you commit a crime over there and you do get the punishment you deserve. If only they'd adopt the same policy over in this soft touch country instead of worrying about the criminals human rights, maybe we wouldnt have so many problems. i say hopefully the 2 young men who did this do get a lot of time, maybe 25 years is pretty heavy, but some jail time would be good

Yeah crimes like bankrupting the entire world economy for personal gain gets you the heavy punishment of millions in bonuses for saying "sorry".

Justice at its best

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeanpierre
Tankthinker,

you strike me as a typical left-brain thinker. What I am interested in is this : exactly what value do you give to concepts such as love and respect ?

naw im actually a whole brain thinker

I think that love and respect are two social foundations of human life, not actual forces or entities like so many people think, i employ respect whenever i can and i can admit that i do respect the idea of love for i have been in it, but ultimately they have the value that is associated to how much it benefits myself.

Do you always place rational thinking above sentiment, or are there situations in which you would actually choose to follow your heart instead of your brain ?

oh no, i follow intuition and instinct much more than my brain,

my rationalized ideals stem from my philosophical beliefs which the average person would find highly irrational (not that the average person should decide what can and cannot be considered rational)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Stories like this really upset me! I know I should read all the comments and posts by all of ya'll but I just can't right now.

In my opinion, 25 yrs in prison is a gift for these awful people. They knowingly tortured a living being. A living being that I am sure cried out in pain. And still... they proceeded. They are no different than any other unfeeling psychopath killer.

Yeah yeah, its clogging the system, but the world is obviously a safer place with them behind bars than out roaming the streets.

Poor cat...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza

Wow, you're so liberal and stand up for human "rights", I hope that works out for you. people kill animals all the time, but setting it on fire is sick, they are sick. The judge made a stand hopefully others will follow, then maybe people will stop thinking it's OK and FUN. Maybe you're right maybe with a good telling of they would have become fine upstanding citizens.

I'm pretty sure if you knew these kids personally you'd know that the prospect of spending 25 years behind would be enough to make even the toughest of people eternally repentant. It worries me that you see it fit that kids should have their lives ruined over a CAT. Do you value animal life more than human life?

They're not kids they are definitely old enough to know what they are doing, at their age in the UK they are old enough to have sex, smoke, drink, vote, get a mortgage, get married, but obviously in your opinion not old enough to suffer the consequences of their actions, maybe you're one of those who agrees with bailing out banks and paying bonuses to failed fat cats... it's ok, it's not their fault.

At least the cat didn't have to suffer 25 years of torment like these kids will..... the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Torment??? In a modern prison... don't think so, and another thing the conceptual thinking of a cat would probably be that of a child for the first few months of there life, Is a 25 year sentence enough for setting a child on fire?? It doesn't think neither is it self aware so surely the slap on the wrist you're suggesting should be the same?

[edit on 24/3/2009 by spitefulgod]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dutty_Rag
I'm a former animal owner and once exited my house to where my dog was sat on my lawn to find a local teen about to kick him. Understandably I was furious and marched the teen back to his parents and demanded he was punished...

We don't take a human life for a cats life, that is absurd.

my Family are my cats,regardless of im a human they are animals,its LOVE that connects a family,I would die for my cats no problem,ive not had a holiday in years because i wouldnt enjoy not seeing them each day,different people from all walks of life have differing views on everything,if i saw like you said a teen going to kick my dog i wouldnt frog march them back to the house they live in ,i would kick them but harder and around the groin and face area!
the only absurd thing about your second quote is that you think your speaking for everyone,in EGYPT many years ago if you took a life of a cat then your life would be over,Egyptians are thought to be one of the most intelligent of people,yet your saying its absurd,before you put them into the 'pet' bracket FIRSTLY they are our family,secondly they are what they are an animal and a cat,i have a lot of time for the american justice system,
how dare HUMANS have so much ego to simply say we are the number one race?! wow they can download a song onto a ipod and drive a car using there feet,do animals work for paper money?or beg on street corners? the average human would rather read something about gossip than even think about the very real possibility that there are ufos and different ET origins out there up in space.when was the last time you kept up with any animal in a race?hardly never,animals here sounds we cannot even fathom,and people are saying we are the dominant race?the human body is so poorly built that it is only in a prime for about 8 years and relies on medicines to see it through life.
Humans are to blame especially the male race, to which i am,babies just being born through intercourse are growing up without moral values and its very hard to change a set person,its something deep in your soul.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by catseyequeen

I am thinking for myself, as always, and refusing to be swayed by emotional images of cute kitty cat faces and hippie logic. I appreciate your response to my comments, and the chance to get an inside picture of another point of view which was what I asked for, wanting to know where folks that feel as you do are coming from. I'm sorry, I do not concur that torturing a cat is on par with torturing a human being. I do not find it right nor sensible to dare compare a commercial henhouse to Bergen-Belsen. I cannot wrap my mind around a blade of grass being equal to a human being. So, is cutting my lawn "grass abuse"? Should we people who mow lawns be thrown in jail as well? I agree these individuals should be punished, and yes, *some* jail time should be a part of it. Another part of it should be rehabilitating these dudes, as others have stated, by making them volunteer at an animal shelter, or perhaps giving them pet cats to care for in jail. If this was a pair of violent offenders who had shot up a school, held three little kids hostage and raped a blind kid's seeing eye dog then I'd be right on the bandwagon of lock them up and throw away the key. But it would be the human offenses that would make me want to see that happen. I think these little punks can be scared straight. If animal lovers can find it feasible to fight to "retrain" vicious killer dogs and still keep them as pets after they have taken human life, then surely we can do the same for a few knucklehead humans *who possess the knowledge and capacity* to learn, and choose do right and not just follow baser instinct like a dog.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Is a 25 year sentence enough for setting a child on fire??

On my planet, setting fire to a cat is in no way the same as setting fire to a child.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

It has nothing to do with being liberal - it's about common sense. How is it ever right to put a child in jail for 25 years and take their life away from them for anything less than cold blooded 1st degree murder?

It's a cat. And while I appreciate what they did is sick - it's still a cat. Should we really be imposing the same sentences on someone as they'd get for killing a person for killing a cat?

If this sentence is the precedent then you're gonna need to be imprisoning a hell of a lot of farm folks in the midwest. Animal killings/drownings etc happen all the time - maybe not as brutally as this - but with equal disregard for the animals life.

The sentence is clearly WRONG - and wouldn't happen anywhere else in the world besides the US. Even nations like Iran and China wouldn't impose a sentence like this.

Why is it not better to explain to these people why this is wrong and build their respect for animals whilst punishing them at the same time - rather than put them in jail for 25 years and then still have them coming out feeling no real remorse for what they did because they don't see why it was wrong.

Explain that to me...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

If you think 25 years in prison isn't going to torment someone there's really no point in trying to make a point to you at all is there...

Killing a cat = 25 years in jail? LMFAO - in what way does that equate to the 'consequences of their actions' ...

1 year in jail would be excessive and would more than teach them a lesson. I'd rather jail space was taken up by real criminals - not kids who have killed a cat, however brutally.

If this was my cat - I would hate those kids, but I'd also acknowledge that this kind of thing happens because they obviously don't have the respect for animals that you get from owning them or being around them.

So the natural response would be to try and instil this in them (at less cost to the tax payer too). That way they can probably go onto enjoy a productive normal life like anyone else.

I'd want them to be punished - but I'd settle for a few months of jail...

That's not being liberal - it's being sensible.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

Ha ha - well said.

I think this person we are arguing against is a cat lover. So understandably is upset by the story. Shame they let it remove all notions of common sense from their decision making.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I have zero tolerance for this type of behavior, and I'm sure many agree with me.
Those who commit cruel, heinous acts like this are twisted beyond help.
Put them to sleep like a rabid animal is put to sleep. If they're sent to prison, don't ever let them out.
DON'T give them a chance to inflict more pain and suffering on some other innocent person or animal.

I don't get people who think a 25 year sentence is excessive.
It's way too lenient. It's not even a start.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lw2525

God - seriously - think before you form an opinion like that.

Think about what you are saying-

Ruin two young human lives for the sake of what - a cat?

Jesus.

You don't even know the background on this...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
They should be whipped with a Cat
...naked and in public. perhaps HBO can broadcast.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I say they need lighter fluid poured on their arm and then lit on fire. But then again, their azz gonna be on fire in prison.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
This is...just absolutely ridiculous..they should obviously be punished for breaking and entering+ animal cruelty...but 25years?...really...what a way to clog up the system.

Let me tell you something right now. Anyone and I mean anyone who is capable of doing something like this is someone I don't want walking around and living in society with the rest of us..... PERIOD.

I don't care what anyone says. They start with animals, what's to stop them from next time hurting another human being? As far as I'm concerned lock these bastards away for a long time.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It's quiet obvious that the people on this thread seem to think that being human puts you above all other life. Well bravo to you all for your arrogance and self righteousness, hopefully when we've finally killed off the keystone species of this planet, the elephants, the salmon, the whales we can all sit back and gloat about how they're all just animals while the world around us fall apart.

If anyone did this to my dog, I would consider 25 years in a modern prison a little less than a minimum term.

Seeing the way that we as a species act and the way we treat the other inhabitants of this planet then yes I would consider a human life less valuable then that of an animals (as long as it's no one I know obviously) but lucky for you all I don't have the ability to dish out death.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza

Is a 25 year sentence enough for setting a child on fire??

On my planet, setting fire to a cat is in no way the same as setting fire to a child.

Post my full quote please, don't paraphrase it to aid your own argument, as I was clearly stated a child is similar in it mental capacity to a cat at a young age so what is the difference in it's suffering, apart from the label.. human of corse.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join