It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Street View forced to remove images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Google Street View forced to remove images

The Independent on Sunday alerted the internet search giant after finding images of the toddler, playing at a family summer picnic in a garden square in north London, captured permanently on the revolutionary mapping system. Britain's privacy watchdog, the Information Commissioner Richard Thomas, is considering an investigation into Google if more images of naked children are found to have been picked up by its cameras and made available to internet users.

Google has had hundreds of requests for images to be removed since it launched Street View on Thursday, including pictures of members of the public leaving sex shops or vomiting in the street. But the pictures of young children suggest the service could be exploited for more sinister purposes.

Last night it also emerged that Tony and Cherie Blair are among hundreds of people who have demanded that close-up photographs of their homes be removed. The Blairs' home in Connaught Square, west London, was blacked out on Friday after nearly 24 hours on the web.

Pictures of Downing Street were also taken down, although it is not a private address and the location is photographed by millions of tourists every year.

The images of the children were taken last summer and show a typical scene of garden square life in a quiet side-street.

The IoS is not naming the address for privacy reasons, but the square is just yards from a Cabinet minister's home, although the children are not related to that minister.

The images of the garden square were removed by Google within an hour of the company being informed yesterday. The picture had been found by this newspaper within only 10 minutes, suggesting there could be many similar images on the website.

I suggest they get the heck outta my neighborhood too, I did a search of my name yesterday and it pinpoints directly to my home,

what makes them think they have this right?

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 123131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Oh goodness this been the topic here in the UK everywhere i go, I know so many people who have found themselves on google maps! My friends number plate was fully readable! another's child's face was hardly blurred,

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I completely agree, google shouldn't have the right to do the street view. I looked up my house and both of my cars, and my girlfriend's car were in the driveway and I could make out the license plate on one of my cars.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I thought everyone was giving the finger to those street cameras.

Well they wanted to but didn't want to get arrested for rude
behavior to the monitor watchers.

ED: This is a case of lawmakers or government doing as they
please. Stopping the sale of alcohol perhaps the biggest US
blunder that cost more than it was worth. Let hope Google
pays enough to keep down the taxes.

[edit on 3/31/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
So one could use google maps to track somebody right to their home? You can even use the street view to plan your approach and get away when you are done. This is awfully convenient.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Well seems the Google street view car got in to a bit of a spat with some locals in Broughton in southern England, The formed a human chain linking themselves together refusing to let the google street crew through there town, lol..

It was reported that a man in the small village seen the google car and rang up his friends and they all scurried to stop the car taking pictuers of there houses,

Well done to them lol, Police confirmed they where called to an incident in Broughton,

limk

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Wow awesome, I forgot i even posted this topic.

top topics

join