It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming evangelical collapse

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avarus
I agree as well. Religions, in general, are good for nothing what so ever. They promote hate, violence, and even genocide. I'm glad this trend is starting to disappear. People put on this self righteous mask and talk down to others in an attempt to scare them into subscribing to what they believe.

I doubt it, but I hope in my lifetime I will see a world without religion. Where not just Christianity but other religions are nothing but a bad memory. We'll all look back and laugh at how ridiculous all of it was. Then we only need to conquer politics and it'll be smooth sailing to a peaceful existence. lol

Yet others paint Religious with a broad brush making sweeping accusations about what is a very small percentage of wars that were in the name of religion historically. Those that are mentioned such as the Salem witch trials are embellished so much, I have seen them post numbers in the hundreds of thousands when approx 20 were killed an no more. The fact is NO culture has ever thrived where religion was NOT.

People put on this self righteous mask and talk down to others in an attempt to scare them into subscribing to what they believe.

No one can talk down to you making you feel beneath them, without your consent. I suggest you not give it to them if that is what you blame them for how you feel. If it is not, then how is it you speak for anyone else who does?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

No, you don't need religion to lead a moral upstanding life, nor do I. Yet some may have that need. As I said earlier, religion isn't the evil, or for that matter the good, it's the people in it that are one or the other. Religion is merely the means of expression. A philosophical hammer if you will.

If being a religious person makes one happy, and enables a good life, then who are we to say anything untoward?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I can't help but feel like this is just wishful thinking. The author of the article seems to consider himself an evangelical, but I've never heard one talk about their religion like that.

I give it 20 years.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I am a Christan by choice and a Methodist by birth. I cut ties with organized religion many years ago. I continue to do medical missions and worship with small unorganized groups.

It is my dream that one day we may be able to worship side by side with all religions and non believers in a peaceful environment. We have much to share to make our world a better place.I have friends of all faiths and also friends that are atheist. I love them equally.

If we could ever conquer race and religious differences we could then turn our attention to the greedy capitalist that are destroying our earth.

After attending services in an Evangelical church for almost a year it is my opinion that they would never accept any other religion other than their own.

If we are to save our planet we must agree to disagree and live in harmony with all races and religions.

Peace to all.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by dizziedame]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I wish it were true, but it's just not gonna happen. Their beliefs haven't been shaken for over 2000 years. The United States is still overly religious and irrational.

What we really need to do is replace religion with philosophy. It's much less harmful to both society and our intellect.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Excellent post... it earns a star for you and designation as a friend... I could not agree with you more.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The coming evangelical collapse

Yea in your dreams, don't underestimate them.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The problem of human irrationality is not due to religion, and will not go away even if religion does.

We have not been wired by evolution (or God if you prefer) to be rational, like computers made of meat, we're wired to be an efficient pack animal in small tribal groups.

I don't think anyone observing a troupe of chimps would describe them as precisely "rational".

Unfortunately our civilizations are very different and far more complex than the small hunter-gatherer groups we evolved to function in.

But people are irrational in groups, and we tend to create belief systems, and express our tribalism through them.

They certainly do not have to be religious: look at Communism and Fascism, two belief systems (both of which regarded themselves as "rational" and scientific") that led to epidemics of mass killing that would shame even the worst religious zealots.

So I think those who welcome the decline in religion as a sign of human progress are naive - we will simply find new "orthodoxies" to kill for.

[edit on 3/22/09 by xmotex]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Good riddance,although i will say one thing about extremists or evangelicals..they know and understand the bible far more than their moderate cousins...and always have.I think this is just a natural evolution of culture in the end.In 200 years students will be thinking how absolutely ridiculous we were for believing such drivel..again its a natural progression,one which sadly we are part of the ride,atleast the future generations wont have to endure it.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Well Said. and don't mess with the tribe.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
some people are so afraid of the dark that they think an invisable man in the sky will keep the bad things away.....i would also ad that the local churches near me only call at my door when they need money and never to give any...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
I am a Christan by choice and a Methodist by birth. I cut ties with organized religion many years ago. I continue to do medical missions and worship with small unorganized groups.

It is my dream that one day we may be able to worship side by side with all religions and non believers in a peaceful environment. We have much to share to make our world a better place.I have friends of all faiths and also friends that are atheist. I love them equally.

If we could ever conquer race and religious differences we could then turn our attention to the greedy capitalist that are destroying our earth.

After attending services in an Evangelical church for almost a year it is my opinion that they would never accept any other religion other than their own.

If we are to save our planet we must agree to disagree and live in harmony with all races and religions.

Peace to all.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by dizziedame]

It is my dream that one day we may be able to worship side by side with all religions and non believers in a peaceful environment. We have much to share to make our world a better place

Were you just asked a question by Bert Parks in a Miss America Contest or are you serious? If we are to save our planet we should put our resources in the things that really threaten it and NOT the junk science that doesn't. By the way, what is it you have against Capitalism?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Good riddance,although i will say one thing about extremists or evangelicals..they know and understand the bible far more than their moderate cousins...and always have.I think this is just a natural evolution of culture in the end.In 200 years students will be thinking how absolutely ridiculous we were for believing such drivel..again its a natural progression,one which sadly we are part of the ride,atleast the future generations wont have to endure it.

I am sorry but there is something supernatural about the longevity of the Bible and of it's followers and their devotion to it.

And when we look at the state of the world today, it is right on the money.

These are times like no other.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
some people are so afraid of the dark that they think an invisable man in the sky will keep the bad things away.....i would also ad that the local churches near me only call at my door when they need money and never to give any...

I have never, ever had a church come to my door and ask for money.

Where on earth do you live?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
The problem of human irrationality is not due to religion, and will not go away even if religion does.

We have not been wired by evolution (or God if you prefer) to be rational, like computers made of meat, we're wired to be an efficient pack animal in small tribal groups.

I don't think anyone observing a troupe of chimps would describe them as precisely "rational".

Unfortunately our civilizations are very different and far more complex than the small hunter-gatherer groups we evolved to function in.

But people are irrational in groups, and we tend to create belief systems, and express our tribalism through them.

They certainly do not have to be religious: look at Communism and Fascism, two belief systems (both of which regarded themselves as "rational" and scientific") that led to epidemics of mass killing that would shame even the worst religious zealots.

So I think those who welcome the decline in religion as a sign of human progress are naive - we will simply find new "orthodoxies" to kill for.

[edit on 3/22/09 by xmotex]

Starred Flagged and a suggestion to a Mod for an applause as this is the first time I have ever seen someone I am usually arguing with in such discussions, give a more balanced viewpoint without the piss and vinegar or useless nonesense to antagonize the Christian such as whats his name down there with his caracature of the Christian being someone hiding under a bed and the invisble man upstairs that protects them. I guess crap like that being said is something the so called rational community just can't resist but WE are the ones inciting all the riots into wars.

Great Post Xtomex

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I hear this all the time.........

Churches pushing religion, visiting people at their homes and asking for handouts. In all my 40+ years I have never had a single Catholic or Protestant or Muslim or Jew at my door looking to either convert me or take my money.

This may happen somewhere in the world but no where I have lived. What I have seen are these same groups organizing charity driven events such as clothing and food drives for the not so well off. No different than the local fire departments do.

There are obvious horrific events that have occurred in our history in the name of religion, that much is true. However, there are horrific events that happen daily with no reference to religion. Murder, abuse, theft, slavery etc etc etc. these things happen every day and not in the name of god, but in the name of humanity.

Human kind are not so kind sometimes, and i believe that alot of these horrible events done in the name of religion are actually done in the name of greed and power hiding behind religion. Politics, domination, greed etc. will drive these things when religion is absent.

If religion fades away(I highly doubt it), euphoria will certainly not follow. Mutual respect, and rational law will fade along with it. There will be no reason to be "good" for those tedering on the brink. Nothing to hold them back...........

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Aermacchi

I couldn’t have worded it better myself. Onward soldier!

There are a lot of people who don’t know what faith is. The answer to that is simply believing.

It requires an open mind to debunk or acknowledge faith or God.

Some are to afraid to try.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by Aermacchi

There are a lot of people who don’t know what faith is. The answer to that is simply believing.

Actually faith and belief are not the same thing... not by a long shot:

From Oxford American Dictionary:

BELIEF:

an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists : his belief in God | a belief that solitude nourishes creativity.

FAITH:

complete trust or confidence in someone or something

You can believe in Santa Claus but accepting Jesus the Christ requires faith.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I have faith that Santa will come down my chimney every Christmas.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

Good for you... and I have faith that he won't get stuck.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join