It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flies May Spread Drug-Resistant Bacteria from Poultry Operations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The following information was taken from:

The Worldview blog

Insciences.org

Researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health found evidence that houseflies collected near broiler poultry operations may contribute to the dispersion of drug-resistant bacteria and thus increase the potential for human exposure to drug-resistant bacteria. The findings demonstrate another potential link between industrial food animal production and exposures to antibiotic resistant pathogens. Previous studies have linked antibiotic use in poultry production to antibiotic resistant bacteria in farm workers, consumer poultry products and the environment surrounding confined poultry operations, as well as releases from poultry transport.

Reuters reported this:

Flies, already blamed for spreading disease, may help spread drug-resistant superbugs from chicken droppings, researchers reported on Monday.

They matched antibiotic-resistant enterococci and staphylococci bacteria from houseflies and the litter found in intensive poultry-farming barns in the Delmarva Peninsula region of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia.

The findings, reported in the journal Science of the Total Environment, may help explain some of the spread of drug-resistant bacteria.

I have gathered all the reports and posted them on the Worldview blog

I will post more information here as I find it.

Last night I posted another story here at ATS about Chickens:
Here is the link to that story:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 22-3-2009 by tsrk30]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This definitely something that is more than likely true, I always wondered about flies and how they just never take a shower or bath, JK, but think about it they feast on anything, corpses, carcasses, dung who knows what else and they carry those crumbs along with live microscopic hitchhikers so it is no wonder that if they land on you or your food they drop some of them off there to call home and all sorts of unexplainable sickness, infections, lesions and things like this break out.

join