It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Jade Goody

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
What angers me is this, and I'll be blunt to reinforce the statement.

Creating a Later Day Saints of Jade Goodey, the martyr, cult of personality surrounding her cancer is insulting. Awareness for this cancer is only occurring because a "celebrity" is the victim - Little old Mary from No.23 goes unnoticed.

The real heroine is the faceless avatar who deals with her cancer everyday, raise awareness or the countless individuals who work in the Cancer Research Trust. My heart bleeds for the women, recently diagnosed, who has to walk through a waiting room after being told she has cancer.

Not the "celebrity" being told on Indian Big Brother.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Seany, Kerrichin and Lizardboy...

PLEASE go and do some homework about the way this disease works, and stop spouting this mindless, miserable rubbish...does it make us better humans to annihilate her character and drag her perfectly innocent 4 and 5 year old kids into the argument? Perhaps you could ask them in your heads if they would keep the money of have Mummy back? What do you think they would say?

Done with this....I'm going to go and count lentils, and put my sock drawer in alphabetical order It's a more profitable and enjoyable use of a quiet Sunday afternoon.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

The real heroine is the faceless avatar who deals with her cancer everyday, raise awareness or the countless individuals who work in the Cancer Research Trust. My heart bleeds for the women, recently diagnosed, who has to walk through a waiting room after being told she has cancer.

I completely agree with you. I think that this woman would relish the kind of publicity that Jade can generate if she were passionate about getting her message across to as many people as she could. I guarantee she would use it to it's maximum to raise awareness *and* funds.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
What angers me is this, and I'll be blunt to reinforce the statement.

Creating a Later Day Saints of Jade Goodey, the martyr, cult of personality surrounding her cancer is insulting. Awareness for this cancer is only occurring because a "celebrity" is the victim - Little old Mary from No.23 goes unnoticed.

Not the "celebrity" being told on Indian Big Brother.

exactly totally agree, also from now on when ever anyone gets cancer it will be compared to goody.
i fear we will hear people say 'yes its bad but not jade goody bad'

also while everyone worring (or hoping) they get might get cervical cancer, they wont be checking for other cancers like brest cancer and what about other killer diseases, like liver disease, but no they arent the 'cool killer'

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I completely agree with you. I think that this woman would relish the kind of publicity that Jade can generate if she was passionate about getting her message across to as many people as she could. I guarantee she would use it to it's maximum to raise awareness and funds.

or she would want to find a cure and live with out worring about what other people think.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Thousands, upon thousands of people have had cancer, and died in the UK. Many more families will be losing a loved one today.

Yes, this is sad for her family, and no, I wouldn't wish it on anyone

However, for it to make one of the main three articles of the BBC news website, and for the Prime Minister to make a statement on it, shows that there is something seriously, seriously wrong with the way the world works.

I don't get it. At all.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerrichin
yes i fear that other celebs are wishing for an illness they can sell to the highest bidder now.

im sure the likes of kerry katona and katie price is happy for the free article space

Hasn't that already been happening? Hasn't Michelle Bass been in the news either this week or last week with her 'cancer scare' story?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
Seany, Kerrichin and Lizardboy...

PLEASE go and do some homework about the way this disease works, and stop spouting this mindless, miserable rubbish...does it make us better humans to annihilate her character and drag her perfectly innocent 4 and 5 year old kids into the argument? Perhaps you could ask them in your heads if they would keep the money of have Mummy back? What do you think they would say?

Well call my actions miserable would be quite right as i've lost a few friends and family to cancer and it still hurts. So in that case you're quite right. I may very well be miserable. The day YOU lose your friend to cancer, watching him bloat up, turn yellow and die in agony then you may have your say about me... but until then go back to your lentils.

Judge not.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

If you had read all my posts, of even a few, you would have known that I have lost people to cancer and other diseases, and accidents...please don't presume to lecture me on how miserable it is. Did you think I would be too busy with my lentils to let this one pass? My entire family is dealing with this experience just now, of losing someone we love very much to cancer. There is not a thing we can do about it, but if I had Jade's resources to inform people, I'm damn sure I would use them. Wouldn't you?

My reason for being such a pit bull over this is that we really need to take the postives that we can find from this kind of illness and death, and make use of it to lessen the impact on other people. It's not just about our feeling of grief and misery. the most humaritarian thing that we can do is to help other people avoid the same fate. Sitting by and criticising others for making a noise, raising awareness, however they do it, and ACTUALLY GETTING YOUNGER WOMEN TO GO FOR A TEST!!! will not make my grief easier. If it helps you, then fine...go ahead and deal with it your own way, but to me it's a really short sighted attitude.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Okay okay...

In that sense we are feeling the same then, but we disagree on how Cancer awareness should be presented to the masses.

If anything i think the media did this wrong, but if women are taking cevical tests then at least something good has come out of this.

Yet - Like everything else, i think REAL education is the key. We just don't have enough of it....

By the way, apologies if we started on the wrong foot. Excuse my words if they hurt you, but you hurt me also.

I hope you and your family have good luck and best wishes.

Peace

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Thank you for that...I really appreciate the communication. I'm truly sorry I hurt you, but I get angry...not an excuse, I know, but I am sorry.

Education is the key for sure. Sadly, I think, perhaps there is a need for it to be presented in a "Jade" style to actually be noticed by some people. Not everyone is going to have access too, or the means to understand mainstream medical sources.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
What annoys me is that people use her death to make a point out of celebrities getting the spotlight? showing no compassion, just negativity, and jealousy.

What do you expect!? she's a celeb!

At least have a bit of compassion.

R.I.P Jade Goody, I hope she moves on to a better place.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I feel for Jade Goody...may she RIP....
To be honest I didn't even know who she was ,until a few months back....
I seen a artical on her and her fight for cancer....
I started following her battle...as I had a close call 20yrs ago....
I'm lucky ...I'm a surviver...touch wood...I still have regular check ups.
I just think it is very brave of someone to go public when battling something so private....and sad to see she lost that battle leaving behind...young children.....money can not replace a mothers love.

Hopefully Jade's battle ,will encourage people to have regular check ups...as early detection can save lives.

Also ....you can now have an injection to help prevent cervical cancer....
I know a few people who have had this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join