It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Supreme Court and Guantanamo Bay

page: 1

join
share:
D

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Well, tomorrow the US Supreme Court begins its case into whether or not the detainnes at Guantanamo Bay fall under the jurisdiction of the US legal system. Personally, I'm hoping it does. Mainly because of the 2 Australians held there. But also because if the detainnes are tried under a military tribunal, the results are pretty much fixed. Though some of them may be terrorists, I reckon many of them aren't. Look at theAustralian detainee David Hicks. The guards at GB at first said that he constantly threatened them and spat at them. But when prisoners who are released and his marine lawyer talk, they all say he's just a really quiet guy and helps the other detainees who can't speak english. What's up with that? Does the US need to make an example of someone? I sure hope they don't. Hicks is still locked up in solitary confinement and keeps himself sane by catching mice in his cell. Even his own US appointed Marine lawyer believes his detainment in wrong.

Well, thats my little rant. What are your views on this matter of the detainees and should they be tried under the US legal system?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I agree that the prisoners at Gitmo should be tried in the legal system. I don't have a lot of confidence in military trials.

I wish to hell they'd charge these folks with something or let them go home. Keeping those people caged like animals is NOT a wise thing to do. It's also cruel and inhumane for those not guilty.

join