It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Do British Citizens need a visa to visit OZ, and then look for work? Urgent(ish)

page: 1

log in


posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:38 AM
I'm a skilled worker (6 years teaching English) so apparently I can get a job in Oz.

My plan was to get on a plane, go to Sydney, get a job in a language school and then get a work permit.

Is it as easy as all that?

Do I need a visa for entry? And if I secure a job do I need to do any bull# like leave the country or go back to the UK to validate it?

Your help much appreciated. I've been searching the web but no clear answers.


[edit on 13f20090pmSun, 22 Mar 2009 12:54:56 -050056 by HiAliens]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:59 PM
I think you do need a visa to go, Let me look in to it..

Have a peek through this too

Also from what i have heard, OZ imagration is pretty strict so dont cut any corners, they will have you out of there in a heartbeat if all is not in order,

[edit on 22-3-2009 by asala]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:03 AM
Thanks for your help Asala,
Found out I'm good to go after an E-Visa.

Have you been there? Are you an Ozzie?

Know what the work situation for English Teachers is like in Sydney at present?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:12 AM
Have a look here:


posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:22 AM
Thanks man....

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:20 AM
Australian immigration is a DISGRACE

There draconian rules make it almost impossible for a man like me to immigrate there :shk:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Freeman
Australian immigration is a DISGRACE

There draconian rules make it almost impossible for a man like me to immigrate there :shk:

I think you'll find with the recent jump in unemployment here, the government has cut down on the amount of immigrants allowed to come into the country.

So it's not 'draconian' we're just keeping what work is available for Australian residents.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:35 PM
If your going to do the get a job and then a permit thing in that order, I would stay at home, they will throw you out and then you wont get back in for years, not even for a Holiday.

There is a Comedian who is famous in Liverpool (Alexi Sayle) he once said he went to Australia on Holiday, when he got to Immigration, he was asked if he had a criminal record, he replied I didn't think I still needed one, he screamed all the way back to the plane being dragged by Immigration officers.

Now obviously he was telling a joke, and please any Aussies here please don't take offence to that joke, it wasn't meant with any malice of any kind, it is the way Australia became a Country, and a lot of Aussies I have met are proud of their heritage.

Australian Immigration is one of the toughest in the World, with good reason, lots of ecological disasters have happened because of various misguided imports, so I doubt you would achieve much without the proper channels, it doesn't take long to go through the proper channels, probably be done by the time all your plans are done.

Good Luck with it anyhow.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:38 AM
Thanks for your reply Azzilin,
Ozzie immi is tough but fair. I heard that Alexi Sayle story before, but didn't know if it was a joke or real. Did they really send him back to England? Pretty funny,


posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:53 AM
Yes, sadly, you do. You need Visa's for most countries you visit. Even if they are in a commonwealth or not.

The only real exception is Australia to New Zealand or vice-verser. In which you do not need a visa to work.

new topics

top topics


log in