It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea detains US reporters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

North Korea detains US reporters

au.news.yahoo.com

Two American journalists detained by North Korean soldiers are believed to have been sent to Pyongyang for questioning.

North Korea said on Saturday it was investigating two Americans it detained on Tuesday for "illegally intruding" into its territory after crossing the border from China.

A brief dispatch from the North's official Korean Central News Agency gave no other details, but it was apparent confirmation of reported arrests of two female US journalists reporting on North Korean refugees in the border area.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
it would suck to be those guys. if you've ever see james bond youu'd know those guys are in for some kickings.
scorpions, icy water, car batteries. bo fun. no fun at all.
what could these guys have done to get detained? again it is probably NK seeing how far they can push the US. they probably need war to stimulate their economy.
if these guys were taken without justification. would you call that a WAR CRIME?

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
It sounds like there is a debate on what side of the river they were taken from also. This seems like they are holding hostages in case their missile gets blown up by Japan

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

what could these guys have done to get detained?

Oh I dunno, let's see:

-Illegally crossing the border into N. Korea without authorization.

-Taking photographs/gathering intelligence regarding sensitive military sites in North-Eastern N.Korea (which is where N. Korea tested it's "nuclear device" in 2006), coincidentally right across the border from Yanji.

-Possibly being CIA agents posing as journalists, which they routinely disguise themselves as: www.questia.com...
www.highbeam.com...

-Helping people defect from N. Korea.
Quote: ", according to the Rev Chun Ki-won of the Seoul-based Durihana Mission, a Christian group that helps defectors.

They also planned to meet with children of defectors, said Chun, who helped the journalists organise the trip."

if these guys were taken without justification. would you call that a WAR CRIME?

No I'd call it: "Stay off other people's turf unless you want to get yourself arrested".

I'm not playing Devil's Advocate here and suggesting N. Korea is an innocent party in International politics, but America is no angel either.

It's not beyond Washington and the Intelligence Bureaus to send undercover agents into N. Korea like this.

In fact it's probably somewhere high up there on their list of Intelligence gathering priorities.

So please, stay rational and chill out on the "War Crimes" accusations.

[edit on 22/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
yes well perhaps war crime was a bit of an over statement.

i meant ACT OF WAR!!!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

Not even act of war is appropriate to term this incident.

A right-wing, neo-con's wet dream would be a better designation to consider this an "Act of War".

You wonder into N. Korea illegally and expect to face some consequences.

The INS treats border-jumpers the exact same way in the United States, and no one for a second considers illegal immigration an "act of war" by Mexico.

It's illegal immigration, period.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
well no one likes a "told you so".
so lets say they are government spooks and they are executed.
does that count as an ACT OF WAR on America's part?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I will not jump the gun and assume that these men are anything more than reporters. Today's journalists are gung ho, I could certainly see the scenario described taking place, that they were there to interview the children of..., and that does not excuse crossing lines you are advised not to cross, but a journalist should be treated as such until he/she is determined to be anything other than that.

join