It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summit to Be Protected by 2,500 Extra Police Officers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   

G-20 Summit to Be Protected by 2,500 Extra Police Officers, Guardian Says
www.bloomberg.com...
Police Cancel Vacations, Gird for G20 Protests, Guardian Says

March 21 (Bloomberg) -- British police have canceled all vacations and are bringing 2,500 officers to London to control an expected wave of protests during the Group of 20 nations summit starting April 2, the Guardian reported.

Police officials are meeting next week to prepare for the event, which will include delegations from 40 countries and mark U.S. President Barack Obama’s first visit to London, the newspaper said. While the summit is taking place at the Excel conference center in east London, police said protestors may target the city’s financial district, including the Bank of England, according to the Guardian.

The 7.2 million-pound ($10.4 million) police operation is intended to counter attacks by hundreds of protesters from environmental, anti-war and anarchist groups as world leaders meet to discuss the global economic crisis, the newspaper said.

The protestors are expected to try to storm buildings, close roads, set up climate camps and break into the meeting on dinghies via the Thames, the Guardian said, citing Commander Bob Broadhurst, who is responsible for the police operation.

Looks like the Summer of Rage is going to Spring earley...

Now is it just me, or, does 2,500 officers seem a tad small considering all the activity they're outlining here???

Wonder if they'll call in some Army/Reserves also...

[edit on 3/22/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Met: G20 protesters will stretch us to our limit
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Scotland Yard issued a stark warning of violent disorder in the City of London on the eve of the G20 summit, with the police stretched to their limit in the middle of an extraordinary week of public protest.

Anarchists, environmentalists and anti-globalisation groups are collaborating to mount an “unprecedented” sequence of demonstrations across London and police chiefs fear that they will be playing cat and mouse with militants.

The cost of the operation to protect the City and the summit on the first two days of April could hit £10 million, more than five times the cost of the 2001 May Day demonstration. At least 1,000 anti-capitalist demonstrators plan to converge on the Bank of England and will be met by 2,500 uniformed police, many equipped with riot gear. Hundreds more officers will be deployed in security operations at the G20 summit venue in East London and protecting locations where 40 delegations of world leaders will be staying.

City bosses have been advised to cancel meetings and place extra security on their offices in anticipation of trouble on what the protesters have labelled Financial Fools’ Day.
More at Link...

Scotland Yard?!?

Looks to be quite a expensive operation also...

Looks like all hell is expected to break out!!!

Anarchi sts plan City demo for G20 leaders' arrival in London

London officials expect major G20 riots
www.upi.com...

£7m to police G20 summit: 'We have to be innovative to match protesters,' says officer in charge
www.dailymail.co.uk...

3,000 police on alert for sand-pit protests to block summit
www.thisislondon.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This is going to be good. Time to breakout the beer and popcorn.

There will be lots of video being released during this event. Sounds like the police are already tired and strained from dealing with other protest.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I will be there for work on that day.......I will try and get some good footage for everyone.

2nd line

-Kdial1

[edit on 22-3-2009 by kdial1]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Nice, just don't get caught if you video tape the police, I know they just recently made that illegal over there. Be safe! Looking forward to the footage.

Although I have a feeling that they are going to be to pre-occupied CYA'ing to worry about videographers.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

You can be sure the closer they get to this event, the more the citys going to be crippled.

Sand-Pits...Barricades...Fence...Blockades...Snipers...Dogs...Bomb Squads...

And then they'll have Mobile Staging Areas for Troops and Detainees...

Watch carefully...this is where we'll get our look at the tactics they'll be using against us sooner later...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

True, true, didn't even think of that aspect.

It is going to be interesting to see how it plays out. Makes you wonder if they are going to be coordinated protest and not just a bunch of random groups the way the article makes it seem.

It would be nice to be able to get the CCTV feeds during it all. It would be like game tape for football.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
The protestors are expected to try to storm buildings, close roads, set up climate camps and break into the meeting on dinghies via the Thames, the Guardian said, citing Commander Bob Broadhurst, who is responsible for the police operation.

Wow thats what they are expecting? I was thinking the above is a worse case scenario but thats just par for the course it seems.

To the poster above me. No need to hate on the police they are just doing their jobs like anyone else. If this gets to far out of hand we could be in for a very bumpy ride. lets hope no big world leaders are hurt.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by YeahSureIWILL
Someone needs to bring a missile launcher to the party.
All those pigs in the one spot, would send a good message to the elite filth, that there little private henchmen army, can be stopped.

Dude, if someone did that, all they would be achieving is giving TPTB their much needed "Gold Pass".

Just like 9/11 was for Iraq and Afghanistan.

[edit on 22/3/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   

If they held a summit within a days drive from me I would be there with signs and camera. I am not surprised they are bringing in extra troops. I mean police. The G(insert number) meetings should slowly begin raising protests as large as the WTO. Rightfully so I should add.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I'll be looking for webcam feeds...maybe we can find some good stuff there...

dang a dbl "warn" disclaimer!!!

...And really...Rocket Launchers...that ain't no way to go...yet...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Why do they always have these things in places that encourage the spawning of protests so close to the proceedings? It would seem that a meeting of such important govt types would/could be held at more secure locales.
What is the other hand doing? Why do they want us focusing on this?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

I thought the same thing last nite...

Why not have it on one of their private islands...you know...the ones they bought with all our cash?

Where they plan to run and hide when this all crashes?

Oh...just answered my own question...'cause then we'd know where they'll run to...hhhmmm...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Is it 2,500 or 25,000? Mr Mod, please correct either the comma or the zero so it's not misleading. Don't get me wrong though, 2,500 is a lot of security!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

Watch carefully...this is where we'll get our look at the tactics they'll be using against us sooner later...

pure manpower is what is needed..2500 police ect.cant handle 5000 protesters if it escolates to voilence.. without outright murder...If that was to happen,it would spark a very large fire...

Some will be under cover to escalate protestors so they can show their hand of force to intimidate the ones on the fence of rioting..basicly to make them think twice..

this kinda game is a all or nothing type of deal..

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

Sorry about the "Typo"...

I got it now...was late when posted and blurry eyes missed that extra 0...

But...25,000 might be in in line, as you stated...

Looks to get ugly...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This will be interesting.
A good indicator for finding out just how pissed people are. It'll also be interesting to guage the reaction around the globe to the event.

I'm sure there are a lot of worrying officials right now. I'm sure they are trying to tread very lightly right now. They don't want to spark the unrest too soon.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I could see them using Military bases, high security, lots of extra security and bolstering civilian police on their outskirts. Multiple layers of outer and inner security. Shoot to kill zones.

Part of me leans towards an exhibition of force. Part of the shock doctrine NW spoke about. Inserting fear into the masses, the continuing message of "You cannot win" and "Resistance is Futile".

The threat of violence is an excellent motivator/demotivator. Depending on what way you want the crowd to move.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

It's going to be hard to use a measured response if it really gets rollin'...

I'm sure they want to keep a even keel till after they get it straight and actually announce this new "plan", but, add a bunch of PO'd people and stir...

Keep a eye out for updates to this developing story...I'm very interested in what tactics will be employed...

Stark warnings over G20 summit
news.bbc.co.uk...
There are stark warnings in several papers about what could be in store for London when it hosts the G20 summit.

The Sunday Express says Londoners will face a massive £10m security operation to deal with a terror threat said to be at the "severe end of severe".

And the Observer says staff in the City are being advised to dress down and postpone non-essential meetings.

There are fears they will be forced to run the gauntlet of protesters. "Burn a banker," says one anarchist poster.

Police warn of G20 protest scale
news.bbc.co.uk...
Known activists are planning in an "unprecedented" way ahead of next month's G20 summit in London, the Metropolitan Police have warned.

Office staff warned of confrontation as City braces for mass G20 protests
www.guardian.co.uk...
Police forecast transport paralysis in capital as campaigners insist demonstrations against globalisation and climate change will be peaceful

Activists plot G20 summit mass protests against bankers in City
www.telegraph.co.uk...
Activists are planning a mass protest against bankers in the City to coincide with the G20 summit in London.

A history of violent protest at G20 world trade meetings
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Some PO'd UK'ers!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join