It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus Leads To Destruction Of 1-Million Chickens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
KWTX.COM reported:

ROBERTSON COUNTY (March 21, 2009)—More than a million chickens have been destroyed in Robertson County after some of the Sanderson Farms birds tested positive for the poultry virus laryngotracheitis, a rare respiratory infection.

Sanderson Farms has processing plants in Waco and Bryan.

I have posted all the information at the Worldview blog

I just found the story and I am doing more research. I will post what I find ASAP.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I just posted information about Laryngotracheitis on the Worldview blog.

This appears to be the virus that the birds were infected with.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
A rare respiratory infection? Well fingers crossed this one can't or does not cross with the infamous bird flu. So far H5N1 is intestinal flu, that's why we don't get it very easily. A respiratory virus it the worst case scenario.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Where is this at?

What state? Texas?

Edit to add:

That worldview blog link slowed my computer really bad. Maybe alot of people are clicking into it.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by interestedalways]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Robertson County, Texas

Robertson County is situated near the central part of Texas, about one hundred forty miles from the coast and one hundred fifty miles west of the Louisiana line. It is bounded by the following counties: Falls and Limestone on the north, Burleson and Milam on the west, Brazos on the south, and Leon on the east. The Brazos River separates Robertson County from Milam and Burleson, and the Navasota River forms the eastern boundary to separate the county from Leon. The old San Antonio-Nacogdoches Road forms the boundary on the south.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by tsrk30]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

The Worldview blog is usally very busy however, it usally loads fine .

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I can find no major media coverage of the story. Has anyone else seen any reports?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I am really interested in hearing more details about this.

I am sure that you will update us as soon as you have more information.

This is quite scary to me.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
These symptoms are very similar to the ones that our
own species is now struggling with regularity and with no
way of completely shaking.

High levels of mucus/ cough/ squinting and watering of one or both eyes, known as conjunctivitis/

... coughing with expulsion of caseous matter, mucoid nasal discharge, gasping and infra-orbital sinus swelling. There is often conjunctivitis with severe lacrimation (eye discharge) and the eyelids matt together.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I just submitted the story to ireport.

www.ireport.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
... coughing with expulsion of caseous matter, mucoid nasal discharge, gasping and infra-orbital sinus swelling. There is often conjunctivitis with severe lacrimation (eye discharge) and the eyelids matt together.

That is just what I was thinking, when my granddaughter went to the doctor last week with her respiratory problems and was given Clariton there was another little girl in there with the eye thing, her mother said to stay away from her because she had the "eye" gunk.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
about the chickens:
www.kbtx.com...

about the virus:
www.ces.ncsu.edu...

It appears that infected chickens can be used as a food source...
anyone else find this disturbing?

Ezzi

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Great find, OP....here's a little bit more:

quote]Originally posted by ezziboo
I wasn't sure which board to post this on... H5N1 is NOT mentioned, but please read on anyway...

linky:
www.kbtx.com...

"Chicken farm after chicken farm in the Robertson County community of Hammond is being quarantined and everything on the farm, disinfected.

The chickens are gone. They were killed, after some of the Sanderson Farms birds tested positive for poultry virus laryngotracheitis.

County officials said over a million birds were destroyed; 10 families' livelihoods were interrupted."

Here's what there is to know about the supposed pathogen, Infectious Laryngotracheitis Virus (ILT):

linky to source of all quoted material listed below:
www.ces.ncsu.edu...

exerpt:
"What is ILT?
Infectious Laryngotracheitis virus is a herpes virus that causes respiratory disease in
chickens."

"Where does ILT come from?
Though ILT can be found in chickens throughout the world, it does not survive for
extended periods outside the bird in the environment. ILT is susceptible to sunlight and
most commonly-used disinfectants. Once infected, chickens become life-long carriers of
ILT and can shed the virus during times of stress. Chickens are considered to be the
source of infection for other chickens. Virus can be transmitted over short periods of
time on equipment, boots and coveralls."

"How long does ILT last?
The course of the disease varies with the severity of the lesions, but most birds recover
in 10-14 days.
Will my birds die from ILT?
Again, the severity of the lesions is related to the mortality seen in flocks with ILT. Mild
forms of the disease result in very low morality (0.1-2%). Severe forms of the disease
result in variable mortality (5-70%) with average being 10-20%."

"What happens if my flock has ILT?
If you live in North Carolina, where ILT is a reportable disease, your farm will be
quarantined by the NCDA&CS. A quarantine means that you must have a permit to
move birds onto or off your farm until the quarantine is lifted. Your birds will be sent to
market as quickly as possible with travel to market via routes determined by the
Department of Agriculture. Lifting of the quarantine is accomplished when your farm
tests negative for ILT two times in a row with the tests being performed thirty days apart.
Before the first of these tests, your farm must be cleaned and disinfected."

The published paper answers two questions:

"Can people get ILT?
No, human health is not affected by ILT.

Is it safe to eat meat and eggs from birds with ILT?
Yes, because humans are not affected by ILT, and because the virus is destroyed by cooking, it is safe to eat poultry products from infected birds."

Even with those encouraging words, does anyone else find it disturbing that poultry with a high probability of being "infected" by a virus can still be used as a food source?

Ezzi

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I am disturbed because of the handling of the chicken before it is cooked.

The information above says it can be spread from being on the farmer's boots, so it would seem it would get on counter tops and such.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

Originally posted by spinkyboo

That is just what I was thinking, when my granddaughter went to the doctor last week with her respiratory problems and was given Clariton there was another little girl in there with the eye thing, her mother said to stay away from her because she had the "eye" gunk.

You were thinking it - because you're smart.
Anyone who cannot see a connection ... well... is in denial.

No one completely gets rid of the eye stuff anymore... it just goes away for a little while - and returns - it is "in" the sinus system - so to speak.
It's in the ears and eyes and nose.
It affects the digestion and the lungs - and causes headaches.
Think of us like human Petri dishes.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Yeah....let's keep our fingers crossed that this particular virus marches to a different drummer and resists the urge to mutate further....

(OP....S & F for ya!)

Ezzi

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Honestly, it is because of things like this - that made me go Vegetarian.

I always have such a freak-out when I hear about contaminated food. It has honestly made me so paranoid about the food that I eat.

Mad Cow Disease
Lysteria Break Out last summer
Pig Farm near Vancouver

Gah. It all creeps me right out.

Question: Were these Private Farms?

If so, there would go my theory on Population Control....

- Carrot

[edit on 3/21/2009 by CA_Orot]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I am not saying the following story is linked to what I have posted, but I do find it very interesting:

Russia will suspend imports from three US poultry plants beginning March 27, one of which is owned by Tyson Foods Inc (TSN.N), the largest US chicken producer, USDA said this week. No reason was given in USDA report for for the suspensions and Tyson said on Friday it was looking into the action against its Cumming, Georgia, chicken plant.

Source: Reuters

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

I've been a mostly vegan for a very long time now - (I have the occasional half and half in my coffee) - but frankly that little bit of half and half is also on its way out.

I remember years ago when a friend told me they had no desire to go vegetarian -
She said she kind of wished she could - but she just couldn't.
I told her to relax -
that one day she would just be vegetarian -
it would likely be an evolutionary move on the part of the species -
and the choice would be made for her...
Perhaps this time is now.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsrk30
I am not saying the following story is linked to what I have posted, but I do find it very interesting:

Russia will suspend imports from three US poultry plants beginning March 27, one of which is owned by Tyson Foods Inc (TSN.N), the largest US chicken producer, USDA said this week. No reason was given in USDA report for for the suspensions and Tyson said on Friday it was looking into the action against its Cumming, Georgia, chicken plant.

Source: Reuters

Well that IS interesting.
Sounds like someone knows something... that we aren't privy to.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join