It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vancouver police shoot, kill man - Then DELETE witness video

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Vancouver police shoot, kill man

www.theglobeandmail.com

VANCOUVER — A common vehicle break-in turned deadly in downtown Vancouver Friday morning after police shot and killed a man wielding a box cutter.

Vancouver Police Department spokeswoman Jana McGuinness said the incident occurred after a 911 call reporting that someone was breaking into a car on Granville Street. Police were given descriptions of two suspects. Officers requested backup because they said one suspect had a knife.

“Next thing we know, the man was shot and killed,” said Constable McGuinness. She would not say whether the officers were carrying tasers.

Police said the two officers are female, and both have five years on the force. Police said they do not know the man's identity except that he was in his 50s. Witnesses said he appeared to be homeless.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-3-2009 by king9072]

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 3/21/2009 by semperfortis]

[edit: fixed long link]

[edit on 22-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Ok, today as I am driving home they are talking about this on the local news radio station. Whats alarming that is NOT mentioned in this article was what a witness to the scene says happened.

He recorded the whole thing on video, and says that the man never directly threatened the life of the officer as in, he didnt charge at them. Also, there was ample time for a multitude of non-lethal alternatives could have been tried such as pepper spray or taser.

The gun-happy young female officer then proceeds to shoot to kill, not shoot to disable, unloading 4 rounds killing the man. As senior officers arrive, the witness shows them the video, they confiscate his phone DELETE the video and return his phone.

The VPD claims they are currently investigating this, and that they take "destruction evidence very seriously".

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090320.wbcshooting0320/BNStory/National/home?cid=al_gam_mostview]www.theglobeandmail.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/21/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Uh... the url thing is broken I tried to edit and fix those links but apparently thats added by ATS and its broken.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Having a go at fixing the link in the OP..

OP Article - Globe - Police Shoot Man

Link above is for the article quoted in the OP.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
Having a go at fixing the link in the OP..

OP Article - Globe - Police Shoot Man

Link above is for the article quoted in the OP.

Its weird, when I edit the link code looks fine as in no space "u rl" but then when its posted it doesn't appear properly. A mod/admin will have to fix it.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Shouldn't the Feds be able to retrieve that footage from the phone? Even if they deleted it surely they can retrieve deleted media from the phones memory, the other question is will they?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

I don't think they can, if said video ever existed. Who would be stupid enough to give the video over to the police in the first place. Can you imagine if the Rodney King tape was "Deleted". No one would believe what happened that night.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtard
reply to post by Pockets

I don't think they can, if said video ever existed. Who would be stupid enough to give the video over to the police in the first place. Can you imagine if the Rodney King tape was "Deleted". No one would believe what happened that night.

The guy was obviously trying to be a good Samaritan. Of course the police would want to see a video of the incident, im sure they were probably actively asking people if they had seen anything, this guy chimes up and then when they see that the video does not support the actions of the officer, they delete it.

For those who aren't familiar with Vancouver, it was where Robert Diezanski was tasers to death, and the video of that was extremely damning to the officers. The inquiry into that incident is ongoing and that video is the main center piece. Just as I am sure this video could have become.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
And like all those cases, the police officer will be found not guilty or not even charged, because his criminal gang will protect him.

The police have a big problem, and it's called GANG MENTALITY.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
At least you are legally allowed to film the police unlike here in the UK!

IF the deletion of evidence is true then I hope these gits are punished even more severely.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
You can still retrieve the video. Police had absolutely no right to delete, or to even view the video. They need warrant to see the video and in any case court to decide it's faith. It's always a bad idea to show police your pictures/video

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets
Shouldn't the Feds be able to retrieve that footage from the phone?

I don't believe, we have Feds up here in Canada.

But, I do think someone should be able to retrieve the video... and even if they can't, that man should be called in to testify. AND the fact that his video (which could have been offered as evidence) was deleted, someone could argue that the action of deleting said video was "Tampering with Evidence".

Just what I would do if I were him, and I felt that the video could have offered something substantial to the case.

I would argue that they had no right to suppress evidence by deleting the video, and by doing so they were interfering.

Was it Van. City Police? Or RCMP? City, I would assume...

- Carrot

ETA: Granville Street is a busy street in Vancouver (lots of good shopping), so I would be thoroughly surprised, if there weren't more witnesses to what happened.

[edit on 3/21/2009 by CA_Orot]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
They should certainly be able to retrieve the video from the phone... if they choose to.

I doubt they'll pursue it that far though. They'll claim no evidence of claim. Turns into a he said she said thing...
Problem is, you need more he saids than she saids when the cops are involved.

The videographer needs to take the phone to someone who can retrieve the data and then go after them. Although I'm sure the threats have already been laid out.

Unfortunate.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This is very unfortunate. The officers involved in the shooting disgust me. According to witnesses on the scene, not only did they shoot the guy, they handcuffed him afterwards!? And they didn't remove the handcuffs until he started convulsing!

I would love to see that video. It doesn't surprise me that the police erased it after seeing it. If only one of the female officers fired then one can assume the man did not try to attack them with the knife, as they both would have fired to protect themselves.

The police are the biggest gang in the world. It'll be interesting to see if the other PD's investigating this incident will actually do a thorough, unbiased investigation.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Its called tampering with evidence, and there should be a charge brought up specifically for Tampering with Evidence. A lawsuit might prevail when they ask them why they tampered with evidence. Obviously they had something to hide, or they wouldn't have done it.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I love this line:

“Police-involved shooting is a decision to use deadly force … this decision is never made lightly. Our officers are trained to use deadly force only when necessary.”

Yeah, that's what the LAPD said when the Rampart scandal came to light said, the NYPD said when the shootings of Amadou Diallo, Ousmane Zongo, and Anthony Baez were investigated.

So spare us.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
A lawsuit might prevail when they ask them why they tampered with evidence. Obviously they had something to hide, or they wouldn't have done it.

Exactly. I really hope that this guy gets to testify about the deletion of said Video, and what he witnessed.

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Perfect thread...proves the outright stupidity of many ATS members.

FACTS: Some douchbag decides to break into someone elses car
Some douchbag decides to use a knife in the process
Some douchbag thought it was ok to destory other peoples lives and property
Some douchbag actually thought it would be ok to hold onto a knife infront of LEO's trying to arrest him for BREAKING THE LAW!

Now all of a sudden there is a RUMOR that cops deleted video. If there was actual video, this man WILL BE notifed to make a formal statement and be called in for the hearing on this case. Lets see if thats happens. If the cops DID take his phone and delete a full video of what happened then they are screwed...and rightfully so.

Also to you members who apparently really arent to bright...NOONE shoots to wound...NOONE. Only a retard shoots to wound and actually believes that you can...especially those who watch WAY to much TV and think its real. Many of the responses in this thread are a joke and make you appear borderline stupid. PLEASE stop watching movies and TV. PLEASE stop thinking your such a marksman that if it was you out there under stress, trying to make a decision, that you could of done the old JOHN WAYNE shot him in the hand, watched the knife fly away and stood there all calm and cool. THAT IS NOT REALITY!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line...there is only ONE person to blame for ALL OF THIS!! The douchbag criminal who armed himself and decided to steal and threaten others....oh well..tough ----!

How you guys can NOT hold the scumbag responsible for HIS DOINGS and now hate on officers is BEYOND me. Do you have a complaint IF there is truth to the deletion of video..yes and even I will agree with you that if its found to be true it was wrong and they should be held accountable. But to bash these 2 female cops for dealing with an armed retard...pathetic. And people wonder why crime rates soar.....just make sure you feel the same way when your the victim.

[edit on 3/22/2009 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join