It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battlestar Galactica: The Series Finale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
BEWARE! For those who have not seen it yet, SPOILERS AHEAD!

I have to say that this was one of the finest series finales I have ever seen. The writing was absolutely superb! Hera being 'Mitochondria Eve' was definitely genius and I certainly didn't see it coming. Using the score from the original series in the scene where Galactica and the rest of the fleet flew off into the sun brought tears to my eyes!

I'm still not sure whether 'Baltar' and 'Caprica' (the ones only Baltar and Caprica could see) were supposed to be 'angels' or 'demons', and what Starbuck was is also still a mystery, but unlike other series finales (most notably 'Quantum Leap', which had me throwing things at the TV), they did a great job of bringing the saga to a conclusion.

So, what was your favorite part, and what didn't you like?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Having watched the original series, I have to say that I did see this coming. That they would become the basis for myths is self evident from their names: Apollo, Hera, Athena, etc. I thought they were going to do something different when they found the first Earth destroyed. But, I guess not.

I didn't like it. Here are some reasons why.

Hera turned out to be Mitochondrial Eve. That was her importance? If not her wouldn't someone else have been the ME?

Those six missiles from that one Raptor was enough to blow up the whole Cylon colony? So, there are no more Cylons left except the ones that were emancipated at the end?

What was Starbuck? Same as the Baltar and Caprica 'angels'? Were they angels?

I don't get why Adama would go off by himself and leave his son forever.

I thought Baltar would have more importance for the tribespeople on Earth, but they never get around to saying anything about it. They kept saying there was a greater power at work but didn't really tie everything together very well.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
CAUTION: Spoilers in post.

I loved it. I had more or less figured out how the main story would conclude, but found each character's wrap up quite enthralling.

One of the things I didn't see coming was Tori's death. I guess I just assumed the final 5 would always be the final 5, perhaps with the exception of Anders.

Tyrol's decision to go off and live alone fit him quite well. You could really see how someone who's endured his existence for the past four years would arrive at that decision.

Where the frak did kara go? I suppose her vanishing kind of sums up her entire existence. I mean, when you think about it, vanishing into thin air is really the only way to end her particular story that jives with the rest of her story. A logical paradox if you will.

I also questioned Adama's decision to go off on his own at first. I can honestly understand the characters exhaustion however, and the need to simply fulfill his "cabin with Roslyn" fantasy though, and her being there in spirit and memory seems to be enough for a guy like Bill Adama.

There's really only one thing I was left wondering about. It seems to me that there should have been some sort of connection between Starbuck and the Six/Baltar angels. Starbuck, being the "harbinger of death", "leading her people to their end", was obviously charged with the destiny of making sure the cycle was started again. To qualify that, if the cylons were able to accomplish their goal of eradicating the human race, "all of this would not be able to happen again". Six and Baltar (the angle versions) were "messengers from god", making certain that their fleshen counterparts followed a particular path, etc... I would have thought there would have been some sort of sub-story. Maybe Kara could have seen them, or something along those lines.

I'm a little at a loss as to Hera's vital status throughout the story though, as mentioned above. According to the Doc, the primitive human's were genetically compatible with the fleet's humans, so a human/cylon hybrid's is more than just debatable, it's completely unexplained.

[edit on 3/23/2009 by Unit541]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Without going into too much detail, I loved it.

Sure somethings were left a little un finished ie Kara, Hera & Baltars Angel role. But I'm sure a re run through the series is required for me for some clarification.
s
That being said it was an awesome series and I thank the creators for it resurrection - no pun intended.

Does this mean cylon is part of mankind?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Can someone give a summary? I fell aslept in the first two minutes and missed the whole show. Did they actually find the correct Earth? I found many parts of the series to be slow and another reason for me to fall asleep on it. However last Friday I was just very sleepy.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I think they did a pretty good job wrapping things up. Considering how confusing the series was at times

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

go to megavideo and you can watch a stream of it.
no need to download.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Or you can go to Scifi.com and watch it there.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I liked what happened to Starbuck. It's actually kind of cool that not everything is neatly wrapped up. BUT the decision of everyone to split up and not stick together, to me, doesn't make a lot of sense - and there was that hideously clunky moment when Romo Lampkin (good to see him again!) actually says, "I couldn't believe it when people voted to split up like that..."

and neither could I.

Other things I didn't like... I don't mind the plot twist where Tyrol strangles Tory for killing Cally - but their acting in it just looked bad. They're both good actors, so it comes down to direction. Not good.

And I'm not at all sure about the Six in Baltar's head being an angel...

Actually, the way it turns out, "God" has just been WAY too manipulative in the series. Kind of a shame, really, because it's had some fantastic moments.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I didn't dig the near-end action of Cavil blowing himself away. I hoped Cylons and Humans could fully resolve. What was it that Cavil said again "O Frak"-gun to mouth. Starbucks disappearing suddenly; messed me up mentally. I'll recover by the time Caprica airs in 2010.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I thought the series finally was alright. I've watched the series since the beginning and I always liked that the writers always kept you guessing. When they found Earth and it was nuked, I thought wow how provocative. Overall, I would give it 4 and a half stars out of 5.

reply to post by WhatsThat

FWI, there going to have a DVD and download of the pilot (i'm guessing) for Caprica on April 21, of this year.

I will definitely be following that series as well, if the same writers will be doing it.

new topics

top topics

join