It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Acronyms ( Again)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'm reposting this cos lots of new folks have joined our family lately and theres a bit of confusion over what means what

Survivalist Acronyms
ABC = Atomic, Bacteriological, Chemical (USA)

Bug Out = Basically it means if you as a person or family have to flee your home, town or place of work because the place has become to dangerous to stay in.

BOB = Bug Out Bag. A Rucksack, travel bag or container containing survival tools, clothing, food and kit, should last 72 hours plus,or even a few weeks if topped up from a cache.

BOV (1) = Bug Out Vest. A travel vest fitted out like a BOB

BOV (2) = Bug Out Vehicle. A vehicle modified to help you bug out and sustain you during your journey, In the US its often a 4x4 like a Jeep, and in Europe its often a camper van. BOVs really should be capable of being lived in for at least a week, so they should have sleeping space, cookers, water, toilet, storage etc. But in the US the trend is for big powerful go anywhere 4x4s. Single folks tend towards the 4x4s, family guys the campers. Some folks have B O Boats, other cycles, other horses and a few light aircraft / microlights.

Cache = A remotely located store of food, fuel, and extra kit for survivalists to draw on, usually sited somewhere along the chosen Bug Out Route

EDC = Every Day Carry. Its a list of items that the seriously prepared will never venture out of the house without. Knife, Flashlight, Compass, Cell Phone, Wallet, Mulitool etc

FAK = First Aid Kit

FYI = For Your Information

GHB = Get Home Bag, same as BOB

GOOD = Get Out Of Dodge bag (another name for a BOB

INCH Bag = I’m Not Coming Home Bag (another name for a BOB but designed for very long term use)

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

KFS = Knife, Fork, Spoon

MRE = Meals Ready to Eat

NBC = Nuclear, Bacteriological & Chemical (UK)

NESW = Never Eat Shredded Wheat (method of remembering points of compass in clockwise motion)

No Duff = This is the real thing, not a practise

PSK = Personal Survival Kit = normally a small tin or pouch containing a mini survival kit, popular with soldiers venture explorers etc

PAW = Post Apocalyptic World

PDW = Personal defence Weapon

POCKSIE = Planning, ordering, controlling, supporting, informing, evaluating ( stages in planning a bug out event)

RETREAT = Place of safety to live in during disaster, can be your home if modified or a camper van/ mobile home or purpose built facility.

SAK = Swiss Army Knife

SERE = Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion

SITX = Situation X (Unknown future catastrophe)

SITREP = Situation Report (Feedback from someone involved in an event)

TEOTWAWKI = Common acronym used by survivalists to describe a complete social collapse IE The End Of The World As WE Know It.

WTSHTF = When The # Hits The Fan

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Just an FYI nondy in the US I have ever heard uses

ABC = Atomic, Bacteriological, Chemical

We use NBC as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Just an FYI nondy in the US I have ever heard uses

ABC = Atomic, Bacteriological, Chemical

We use NBC as well.

Not suprised it was the US designation used by old people like me back gawd knows when, ABC was the acro used back in the 50s and 60s , back in the atom bomb days, it slowly changed to NBC when the hydrogen bombs moved over to U 235 to fuel them et al

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Don't forget HSWRS- holy sh*t we're royally screwed

Oop almost forgot. Second line

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
FUBAR

F-word Up Beyond All Recognition

Third line just in case!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Dont forget....

1-CNRHK======One Chuck Norris Round House Kick!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx
Dont forget....

1-CNRHK======One Chuck Norris Round House Kick!

I would rather get kicked with one of Chuck Norris' roundhouses than mine. He never studied Muay Tai

It's so much more brutal of an art.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
another to add to the list..

FILTTAH: F...! I Left The Tinopener At Home

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
P.P.P.P.P.P.

=

Proper Preparation Prevents P**s-Poor Performance.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
SSSSSS.

Sound,Shape, Shine, Shadow,Smell, Silhouette,

The Considerations needed for tactical movement, IE Bugging out without being seen.

Dont make unneccessary SOUND or noise
Break up your SHAPE with cammoflage
Dont let you kits SHINE in the sun
Stay in SHADOWS and try not to cast a SHADOW
Dont use perfumed soaps, or smelly camp fires because the SMELL will give you away
Stay off the hilltops and ridgelines so you dont stand out as a SILLOUTTE

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
BBBB Breathing, Bleeding, Breaks and Burns, order of diagnosis and treatment for casualties

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Since we're dusting off the St. John's manuals:

ABC - Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal

Since we're dusting off the St. John's manuals:

ABC - Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

ABCD, Airways, Breating, Circulation, Disabilities

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
I'm reposting this cos lots of new folks have joined our family lately and theres a bit of confusion over what means what

Latest Version

Survivalist Acronyms
ABC = Atomic, Bacteriological, Chemical (USA)

BBBB Breathing, Bleeding, Breaks and Burns, order of diagnosis and treatment for casualties

BIVVY = Bivouac ( type of shelter)

Bug Out = Basically it means if you as a person or family have to flee your home, town or place of work because the place has become to dangerous to stay in.

BOB = Bug Out Bag. A Rucksack, travel bag or container containing survival tools, clothing, food and kit, should last 72 hours plus or even a few weeks if topped up from a cache.

BOV (1) = Bug Out Vest. A travel vest fitted out like a BOB

BOV (2) = Bug Out Vehicle. A vehicle modified to help you bug out and sustain you during your journey, In the US its often a 4x4 like a Jeep, and in Europe its often a camper van. BOVs really should be capable of being lived in for at least a week, so they should have sleeping space, cookers, water, toilet, storage etc. But in the US the trend is for big powerful go anywhere 4x4s. Single folks tend towards the 4x4s, family guys the campers. Some folks have B O Boats, other cycles, other horses and a few light aircraft / microlights.

Cache = A remotely located store of food, fuel, and extra kit for survivalists to draw on, usually sited somewhere along the chosen Bug Out Route

CASEVAC = Casualty Evacuation

EDC = Every Day Carry. Its a list of items that the seriously prepared will never venture out of the house without. Knife, Flashlight, Compass, Cell Phone, Wallet, Mulitool etc

FAK = First Aid Kit

FYI = For Your Information

GHB = Get Home Bag, same as BOB

GOOD = Get Out Of Dodge bag (another name for a BOB

INCH Bag = I’m Not Coming Home Bag (another name for a BOB but designed for very long term use)

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

KFS = Knife, Fork, Spoon

LED = Light Emitting Diode ( new type of flashlight / bulb system)

MRE = Meals Ready to Eat

NBC = Nuclear, Bacteriological & Chemical (UK)

NESW = Never Eat Shredded Wheat (method of remembering points of compass in clockwise motion)

No Duff = This is the real thing, not a practise

PSK = Personal Survival Kit = normally a small tin or pouch containing a mini survival kit, popular with soldiers venture explorers etc

PSP = Personal Survival Plan

PAW = Post Apocalyptic World

PDW = Personal defence Weapon

PEK = Personal Escape Kit

PREP = Preparations

POCKSIE = Planning, ordering, controlling, supporting, informing, evaluating (stages in planning a bug out event)

RETREAT = Place of safety to live in during disaster, can be your home if modified or a camper van/ mobile home or purpose built facility.

RECCE = Reconnaissance

SAK = Swiss Army Knife

SERE = Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion

SITX = Situation X (Unknown future catastrophe)

SITREP = Situation Report (Feedback from someone involved in an event)

SSSSSS. Sound, Shape, Shine, Shadow, Smell, Silhouette,

The Considerations needed for tactical movement, IE Bugging out without being seen.

Dont make unnecessary SOUND or noise
Break up your SHAPE with camouflage
Dont let you kits SHINE in the sun
Stay in SHADOWS and try not to cast a SHADOW
Dont use perfumed soaps, or smelly camp fires because the SMELL will give you away
Stay off the hilltops and ridgelines so you dont stand out as a SILLOUTTE

TEOTWAWKI = Common acronym used by survivalists to describe a complete social collapse IE The End Of The World As WE Know It.

TV = Travel Vest ( used as Bug out vest)

WTSHTF = When The # Hits The Fan

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
And you can't forget a really important one.

SNAFU= situation normal, all f***ed up.

top topics

join