It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My 18th Birthday- metal detector?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My birthday is Monday. Due to unemployment and the general ick of the economy, everyone is very financially limited. I don't/won't have a car, nor a sailboat, nor a sweet trip to somewhere exotic (which were my first choices). There is a limit of a "few" hundred dollars from my parents and I will probably get another couple hundred in cash from relatives. Not enough for a down payment, and with the suggestion that I spend it on something that I want. I can do the following:

-Ask for a metal detector- Garrett Ace 250 with two alternate coils. That is currently my first choice.

-Save the money and go to Prague by myself over the summer (I have relatives there and all I would need to pay for is the airfare and accessories like souvenirs and food that I go eat myself, etc)

-Buy the peace sign replacement for the car that I share with my dad and maybe some baking supplies and put the rest away in the bank, probably to be spent on college.

-Do something else based on suggestions that will hopefully pop up in this thread.

I'm thinking a metal detector would be really worthwhile... I love to hike and be outdoors and I feel like if I spent it on clothing or even a trip, it's kind of like throwing money away. I know for sure a ton of my area has never been searched and I know an Ace 250 is kind of a weak metal detector because my area has high mineral soil BUT I haven't heard anyone complain about one on my internet search, and it's at least 1/4 the price of a "better" model with comparable features. I read a lot of reviews of people with more than one metal detector, usually the 250 and more expensive models, and it seems like even they still prefer the Ace. It's a light model, and it seems user friendly.

It's a weird gift to ask for, but what do you think? Also on my list from while ago is a nice teapot, Wild Divine, Lego sets, Amy Brown blankets, the little tool to connect my iPod to my car speakers, some stupid clothes and jewelry, (I will be getting an ATS sweatshirt probably with the $50 from my other grandma), books, the usual.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
hey miss!

i think noone can tell you best what to do with your money!

however if it were me........

laughing......

I would go out to buy a telescope

not that the metal detector is a bad idea but i guess there no treasures i hope of finding around where i am!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WHATEVER YOU DECIDE!!!!!!:w:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

-Do something else based on suggestions that will hopefully pop up in this thread.

Look for a metal detector at a pawn shop. You might find what you are looking for at a much reduced cost! Who knows, if you can find one that way, you might be able to put some money towards some of the other things you mentioned.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
While the metal detector seems like a good idea, it wouldn't be long before the novelty of having it wore off, and it would be reduced to "Clutter" status in your closet...or worse, you have to sell it, to pay for something more important.
Use the money for a trip Raven...
Only things we can take with us when we leave this life are knowledge, experience, and love.
You are young...experience life, use that experience to gain knowledge, so that you will have a life that you love.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Happy Birthday tomorrow, Ravenshadow, I hope you have a great day !

I can only agree with AccessDenied. I'm wondering if you won't quickly tire of your metal detector ? That plus it must be either heavy or awkward to carry around with you.

Travelling is the greatest thing ever, when I was your age I loved to visit new places. And everywhere we went I either bought an inexpensive item to remind me of our location or collected a nicely shaped rock or stone. I've got a bookcase and garden full of foreign rocks & I love the memories they bring !

I've collected so much junk when travelling over the years !! Most of it free too.

A piece of the Berlin Wall, rocks from the Palace of Versailles, an Air France first class seat from a Boeing 747, some bricks from the moon rocket launch site at Cape Kennedy, a Maltese policeman's helmet (don't ask about that one), a pair of USMC combat trousers & a USN cap badge (you really don't want to know how I obtained those !!) and the obvious tourist tat collected over the years.

The most poignant is a little solid bronze statue of the World Trade Centre twin towers. We picked it up in a junk shop in NYC in 1978. It only cost a few dollars because the towers weren't really too well liked by the locals.

Obviously buy your metal detector if that's what you would like ... and enjoy !!

But I say travel the world, you can't put a price on your memories

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hmm... well first, thanks for all the warm wishes!!! My most important gift is being able to register to vote. ^_^

I think, perhaps, I will get the cheaper metal detector that is only about $200, and I can put towards it the $50 from my grandma and the $60 left over from the holidays. That way, any additional money that I get I can put towards a trip. My parents did seem happy with the idea of letting me go to Prague this summer to stay with the family there, and I would probably be terrified to go myself but it would be a good experience and would only cost the airfare, and by then I will have graduation money as well. I know my other grandparents and my aunt or some combination are paying for my SCUBA certification, too, which will help with my studies in college and open up doors for internships and jobs.

And this way, if I get the less expensive detector and decide I love it, then I can upgrade later. Instead of getting a really expensive one and deciding that I hate it. But I do think that the ebay turnover for metal detectors is really good.

Okay. Good plan, guys!!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

A perfect compromise. The best of both worlds.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Nice. I have done some metal detecting, and also some prospecting and found many intresting things.

Yes, you can find a lot of stuff, and even very valuable items, but there are laws regarding metal detecting all over the country which differ from state, to state.

It is a healthy passtime, and it is very fun. But, laws have become very restrictive. Some were placed to protect national treasures that haven't been found, but many of the laws are too restrictive in some states.

Some of the rules which are universal in all states, is that you can't use metal detectors in designated, and protected historical places.

You can't even have a metal detector with you if you are in a in a National Park, because it will be confiscted, and you will get a fine.

Get acquanted with the laws in your state regarding metal detectors.

You can metal detect in parks in some states, but you better contact the Park director and ask if you can metal detect. Ask for the permission to be in written form. You do have to learn how to make plugs for when digging in parks, so you don't destroy the grass, and then you can simply fold the plug to retrieve whatever you find, and then you can fold the plug back.

Here is a video showing you the plug technique.
www.youtube.com...

BTW, you don't need to spend too much money on tools for metal detecting. There are some small handheld shovels, which can be folded and are sold in Walmart for $5 which are great, and work better than some of the tools other treasure hunters use.

Make sure to tell the director of the parks in your area that you will be using the plug method, and you will clean the area, and leave it not only as it was before, but better.

Metal detecting in parks means that you will find a lot of trash, and you have to clean the areas where you are searching to be able to find something worth it, and believe me, you will find good things, and even valuable things.

However, if you find rings with a name in it, you have to try to contact the owner, or take it to the police so that they can try to find the owner. The police will have it for a time, and if they can't fid the owner, then they might give it back to you, depending of where you live. I am sure not all police stations work the same way. This is not only the right thing to do, but if you do find something valuable which has the name of the owner, and you try to sell it to a pawn broker, pawn brokers are required by law to notify the police, and that is a situation you don't want to get into.

Here are some good sites to help you if you decide to metal detect.

www.fmdac.org...

www.treasurefish.com...

However, you can always metal detect in private properties if you get permission from the owner. I prefer to make sure to get the permission in writting with the signature of the owner, i just write before going to an area i researched, and belongs to a private owner, and just have it signed if they agree. i do this if the owner/owners are just an acquaintance, or a stranger. Of course, if you find something valuable the owner will sometimes want a percentage of whatever you can get from it, so in the permission write a percentage that you will give to the owner if you find something valuable. Most people agree with a 50-50 %.

Hope this info helps you, and don't get discouraged. There are thousands of people who do metal detecting, or and prospecting, and most of these people do have a regular job, and don't get in trouble.

Also, most states, and cities have clubs for metal detecting, so do a search online and see if there is one for your area, so you can get in contact with other people who like to do this.

You will find people of all ages, and all backgrounds who enjoy this hobby.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Muaddib72]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
BTW, if you do decide to metal detect, and you need to ask for permission from a private owner, don't appear with your metal detector in hand when you ask for permission.

Also, there are many online clubs, and forums dedicated to metal detecting. i am a member of www.treasurenet.com and you can find many good people that will help you, and will respond to your questions regarding this hobby. You can also find a lot of information in that site, and dozens of other similar sites.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Oh, and Happy birthday!!!

-Not to make it a one liner-

And i hope you do decide to stick to metal detecting, even with all the restrictions you have, it is very fun.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
After looking at the first video i gave for how to use the plug technique for manicured lawns, i think it does not show you everything, so here is another which is muh better.

The TH (treasure hunter) is also using a Bullseye, which is a small handheld metal detector which can pinpoint where your target, made of metal, is. The bullseye is a very useful tool, and you can probably find one on ebay, or amazon not very expensive, if you do want to buy one down the line.

The Bullseye cannot be used for overall metal detecting, since it only finds things within an inch or two under the dirt. This tool is used to find your target after you dig the hole, but there are people that don't need it, although it is a very useful tool and savs you a lot of time .

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Lass
I can only agree with AccessDenied. I'm wondering if you won't quickly tire of your metal detector ? That plus it must be either heavy or awkward to carry around with you.

Metal detectors are not heavy, and they are made in a manner that rests on your arm, not only in your hand.

People of all ages, even there are kids that do MT.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Happy birthday!!

I hope you spend your birthday wonga on whatever you desire. And if you get a metal detector, it is my wish that you find something of real value.

namaste

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Happy Birthday!!!

I hope you have a great day.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Happy Birthday ravenshadow13. I hope that your birthday goes well and you have fun. Good luck on the treasure hunting!

Something that you might want to keep in mind is the possibility of finding coins. Some of them can be pretty valuable and especially look to see if they are double struck for example. You know, stamped twice when they were made. If you do find some coins that look pretty old or unusual, DON'T have them cleaned other than maybe brushing them off. You can seriously reduce the value of any old coins that you find that way.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I used to kid one of my friends about looking like an old geezer out with his metal detector until he showed me the 25k Rolex he found while killing time on Padre Island, Texas. He now is a full time treasure hunter with a boat and crew.

I now own a metal dector but alas, little time to use it. I'm much to busy collecting trivial information here on ATS.

Happy Birthday!

[edit on 23-3-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Such great advice! I was thinking of getting an Ace 250 with a pinpointer and with a sniper coil... that's my plan!

Thank you!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
A belated Happy 18!! That truly is one of Life's milestones.

Over the years, my husband and I have toyed with the idea of buying a metal detector. Then just last month, we met someone who uses one in our area, and he encouraged us to buy one and go exploring.
So I think it's neat that you want one, and I enjoyed reading the advice (especially Muaddib72's) as I think a metal detector is in my future, too.

May your year of being 18 be a memorable one, filled with the good things Life has to offer!

new topics

top topics

join