It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The movie Sunshine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
So at the behest of a friend I watched the movie Sunshine and quite enjoyed most of it. The plot was rather predictable but it was nice watching a film that is pretty much a first.

After the movie ended one thought clouded my mind. I pretty much yelled at my TV saying

"WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU NAME IT ICARUS!?!?!"

See the spacecraft they were piloting to the Sun was named Icarus...

What the hell. Naming your craft after a mythological figure that dies trying to reach the Sun? They were asking for it!!

I highly recommend the movie though, go see it.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Here is an imdb link to the movie:

www.imdb.com...

It made over $32 million worldwide, and I remember hearing about it when it was released. I will have to check it out when I get the chance.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Re-ignite the Sun? C'mon. This is just way too much. i don't think that even in 1,000 years we would have the knowledge to do such a thing.

IMO this is just another Hollywood movie made by people who think they have the power over the Universe.

It sounds like another cheesy Hollywood movie. In the sci-fi channel they have dozens of these sort of movies.

Don't tell me, they used nukes and confused jargon calling it science to re-ignite the Sun.

Hollywood these days solves everything with nukes, or something else.

The moon breaks in two and it's about to crash into the Earth if it is not put together? Worry not, Hollywood thinks that using a nuke you can magnetize the pieces, and put the moon together, and they "save the Earth".

The Earth's core has slowed down, and is causing disasters all over the world? Worry not, Hollywood solves it by sending people into the core, who at the last minute find there is an error in their plan, and find exactly where to position several nukes to restart the core.

The Earh is going through massive earthquakes, and California is about to sink into the ocean? Worry not, Hollywood thinks that using nukes in the Earth's core will solve the problem.

This is the same mentality that the people who believe in Global Warming have. They have no proof wahtsoever for their beliefs yet claim that everyone must sacrifice for their failed religion.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Muaddib72]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Muaddib72

They actually didnt use nukes, they didnt really explain what they used to reignite the sun.

It sure was flashy though.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I've got this one in my collection and I too quite liked it. I think some people might find it a bit of a slow pace and if I'm remembring correctly wasn't there a lot of esoteric/spiritual conversations/symbolism?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Yes there was. A ton of stuff about how the light of the Sun envelops you and you become the light verses how you and darkness are separate from each other.

It was like the people who were going to die by the Sun light wanted too.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib72
Re-ignite the Sun? C'mon. This is just way too much. i don't think that even in 1,000 years we would have the knowledge to do such a thing.

IMO this is just another Hollywood movie made by people who think they have the power over the Universe.

It sounds like another cheesy Hollywood movie. In the sci-fi channel they have dozens of these sort of movies.

Well sooooooooooorrry

Not every movie made has to be a masterpiece....sometimes its great to relax with a movie that requires very little thinking

Sunshine was pretty good

new topics

top topics

join