It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shotgun setup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
What would be the best setup for a H/D, sport shooting shotgun?
Pistol grip, foregrip, (on the pump action) heat shield,
Has no stock, no rail, and no sling. should I get a telescoping stock? folding stock, a rail for a flashlight,
I have been looking at slings and see so many diffrent kinds that I don't even know where to begin on that.
Any suggestions? And a reason I might need it.
It's a 12gauge mossberg 500A

[edit on 03 /13/200 by realboogyman]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The simpler the better is how I tend to look at things. I'm partial to the normal fixed stock with a pistol grip so you get the comfort of a more modern hand position while having a solid stock to dig in to your shoulder prior to firing. Heat shields and vertical fore grips are mostly just style choices and serve little purpose especially in home defense situations. One accessory I can't suggest highly enough is a light attached to the gun so that you can discern what it is you are aiming at and also to give you a degree of advantage by placing you in an area of shadow behind the light source.

As for slings a simple one will probably work best as I doubt you are going to be needing a 3-point tactical sling for a scattergun as potent as the 12ga 500A, just something to throw it up over your shoulder if you need both hands free for whatever reason.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I was given the oppertunity to customize my shotty I had in the service...I used a standard remington parkerized,I cut down the shoulder stock 1 1/2 inches,and reinstalled and trimmed the butt plate..I also countoured the top of the but plate a little rounder so I could raise it to my shoulder without worry of fetching up on loose clothing or parts of my ghille..

I whacked the barrel down to 18'' and added a tube extender..Other than that it was a standard looking shotty..I felt no need for pistol grips,sight rails whatever..I would have gone for a light mount like small sure fire though..

This was a back up,close in defensive weapon..It was mainly carried on a rucksack, or in a drag bag..

Look on Mossberbs websight and look for there upgrade to the tactical shotty..It wasnt a bad price,and included there breeching barrel..That initself would convince me of buying it..Its bad ass..

To put it in simple terms..KISS..keep it simple stupid..Less parts to break or fail the better for HD or survival..Pluss in the case of running it dry and you still need something pronto..Swinging a full stock shotty hurts like hell to the head..

mossberglawenforcement.com...

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Love Mossbergs! I have a 590A. I agree with the things that have been stated here - keep it simple! I replaced my stock with a Knoxx SpecOps and my forend with a Hogue rubber forend grip. I am glad I did both as the stock telescopes so I can adjust it for various shooting situations; i.e. fully collapsed for home defense or fully extended when at the range - not to mention that it almost totally eliminates recoil. The forend replacement was because I found the standard Mossy forend to be slippery - and who in the heck needs that problem!?

Regarding a tactical light... preference really. I have one but it is not mounted. There are pros and cons to having one and I'm not going to bother outlining them here. Do some research and decide for yourself. Same with a sling... doubtful you will ever have a need or use for a 3-point tactical sling - but then again, what do I know? Maybe you will. I have a very simple 2 point sling that is not even attached to the gun. I have it in case I ever need to take to the road or field with my shotty. Otherwise it's jst in the way.

Finally, my gun came with a heat shield and for that I am glad. The times I have taken it to the range and have practiced rapid fire techniques, the barrell has heated up pretty significantly. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I am engaged in rapid fire and go to reload, grab the barrell, and melt my hand to it! They don't weigh much and are a good addition to assault-style shottys - in my opinion.

Anyway, congrats on the Mossy 500! Very nice piece of hardware! Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
My Converted Remington 870 Wing Master has all of the trick stuff except for a light. If I were to do it over, I would opt out for an 8 round tube instead of 7 with the barrel cut even with the tube end. forget about the vertical fore end grip and use one more like what it came with. and a folding or telescoping stock with pistol grip.... Shooting rapid fire with 2 3/4" 00Buck Remington Magnum shells always end up messing up one or other of my wrist. The combat sling is a little silly and hard to utilise for carrying, but is useful for re targeting if using only a pistol grip. As it is now it works quite well with #4 Buck of standard velocity. A light is going to expose your position while you acquire your target but the muzzle flash is going to blind you and everyone else. I would prefer to set trip flares or some sort of remote lighting to not make a target of myself.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I have an old 500 Mariner setup with tactical folder, and no plug in the tube. I carried a 590 milspec in Mogi, finally bought my own about a year ago, and I totally agree with the other poster that owns one... Heat shield is a MUST for a rapid fire situation. I can do without the bayonet lug, but I digress.

I also recommend keeping that barrel as short as legal in your state. 18" is usually a good bet. If this is for close encounters, you'll thank me... keeps weight and bulk down, and you don't really need too much in the way of accuracy anyway at the intended range. I alternate duplex rounds with pumpkin balls for home defense applications. The two sizes of shot offer a great spread pattern, and nobody's hiding behind my drywall from a slug! They make such pretty holes.

I'd stay away from any flashlights, laser sights, etc. You're just showing your enemy exactly where you are in the dark. In a dark situation in CQ, I would go with a sidearm, hold the light with the other hand away from your "kill zone". Believe me... The FIRST place an armed enemy will fire in the dark is straight for that light.

Congrats on the 500... You'll love it for it's rugged durability, as well as longevity.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I was thinking just a simple sling, and a telescoping stock.
The reason I have the pistol foregrips is because of the barrel flip without a stock. First time I shot it, the recoil got me off target a good bit. Now with the pistol foregrip stops the barrel flip a good bit. It is something I would take out shooting at the range. Love the gun. Thanks for the replys

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
If your good with a dremel,You could try to magna port the barrel..It will keep the front end down on ya..

a word of caution..any modifications to a oem or aftermarket barrel of a firearm not done by a qualified gunsmith may result in a barrel of a gun that bugs bunny stuck his finger in to provoke Elmer Fudd

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I set it up
Sideways folding stock 6 postion adjustable stock,
new foregrip with 3 picattny/weaver rails,
door breacher barrel, (just cause it looks bad) but could be used as a weapon itself. I don't know how to post a pic or I would.
Thanks for all the help.

top topics

join