It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA Appeals Ruling Blocking Guns In National Parks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

NRA Appeals Ruling Blocking Guns In National Parks

www.google.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Rifle Association on Friday appealed a federal court ruling that blocked a Bush administration policy allowing people to carry concealed, loaded guns in national parks.

Sen. Max Baucus, a Montana Democrat who pushed for the Bush rule change, said Friday he was not giving up.

"I'm an avid supporter of the Second Amendment, and I will continue to fight on behalf of gun owners," Baucus said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
news.yahoo.com
obama.wsj.com
www.latimes.com

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Why is it that in the areas where we need Protective Firearms the MOST, such as Wilderness Locations, and Inner-Cities, we are banned from ever carrying them?

However, on one good note for a change, I am profoundly proud of a Pro-gun Democrat making their case known. Witnessing the 2nd Amendment transcend Political Parties is an Amazing wonderment of Strict Constitutional Interpretation.

BTW, as a note of Interest, President Obama stated back in February of this year that he actually SUPPORTS the change which President Bush brought about in this matter.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Yeah if there's one place in your neighbourhood where people get jumped, assaulted, raped, killed and otherwise molested, it's definitely at your local park.

I mean mine is just covered with chalk outlines every time I walk past it.

Your inner-city slums and gentrified, low-income suburbs on the other hand are safe enough to stroll through with your grandmother at 1am.

I love this line:

"The department presented no evidence during its rule making that a change was needed."

Because it's so plainly obvious why people need access to firearms at their local parks....

All those damn seagulls pinching our bread and cheese!

[edit on 21/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I have been wondering that myself. Why take them away in the places you would most likely NEED them? Hiking through a national forest, with a mountain lion stalking you.
Strutting downtown with a few gangbangers stalking you.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Yeah if there's one place in your neighbourhood where people get jumped, assaulted, raped, killed and otherwise molested, it's definitely at your local park.

I mean mine is just covered with chalk outlines every time I walk past it.

Your inner-city slums and gentrified, low-income suburbs on the other hand are safe enough to stroll through with your grandmother at 1am.

I love this line:

"The department presented no evidence during its rule making that a change was needed."

Because it's so plainly obvious why people need access to firearms at their local parks....

All those damn seagulls pinching our bread and cheese!

[edit on 21/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

Are you serious

NATIONAL PARKS...like YELLOWSTONE!

Yea, I really want to go camping in the woods with ZERO protection. That makes TOTAL sense. Not to mention how many psychos like to go to the woods a pick up hikers as their next victim.

Seriously

[edit on 21-3-2009 by ACEMANN]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ACEMANN

I don't know what kind of National Parks you reside near, the ones where I live are generally inhabited by nothing more than flocks of birds, ducks and the occasional lost sheep or feral cat.

That's your own mainstream-media fed paranoia talking, not proven fact.
The last time someone died at Yellow stone was in 1988, during the bushfires.

Camping Areas are just that, camping areas. As long as you stick to the rules and don't venture off into the wilderness like a douchebag thinking your Robinson Crusoe, you'll live through a camping trip no problems.

If you want to go outside the guidelines you do so at your own risk, and most people with an ounce of gray matter usually don't.

But hey, suit yourself.
Feel free to trollop through Grizzly bear habitats friend.

Not to mention how many psychos like to go to the woods a pick up hikers as their next victim.

Care to name an example? Oh wise one.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
As a wilderness camper I can understand both arguments. For one thing if you go in the wilderness with only a gun and no knowledge of how to survive and not provoke wild animal attacks to you you are probably doomed anyway. The National Parks are different than the National Forests in the USA. When you camp you are supposed to hang your food from a tree if you are in bear country to keep them from associating people camping with food.
The National Parks, in my opinion, have enough problems without having to worry even more about people toting guns around. People do weird things when they are on vacation. Often times suppressed marital and family issues come out. The National Parks are often crowded and what looks like an empty shooting range could be hiding a hiking trail or rustling leaves could be someone using the bathroom.
I used to work for the National Parks so just sharing some of my experience. From my own standpoint it would probably be a good idea to get a carry in the parks permit much like people have to get permits to camp or hike through certain areas.

There is a difference between a person that understands how to deal with wilderness situations and a city slicker that may be spooked and scared to death by a raccoon outside their tent. It is not hard to imagine a tragedy occurring within the public campgrounds. How many people have gun safes in their motorhomes or cars. If you bring a gun into the park you would have to carry it with you at all times less some curious child sneak into your tent and play with the gun.

If you have been to Yellowstone and seen the people going right up to the buffalo for a picture you can understand my concerns.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

Don't remember his first name, but his last was stayner. He killed a few people in yellowstone back in the day. They made a movie about his brother's abduction a few years before he was killing people. It was after 1988.

Near where i used to live in North Carolina they had a rash of rapes at the local park. People jogging in the afternoon by themselves were being raped by some guy. Don't remember if they ever caught him.

There is two examples for you.

new topics

top topics

join