It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News belittles Canadian Military

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
The content I think deeply reflects american sentiment and values and THAT speaks volumes.

brill

Sorry but I disagree. Check out their ratings:

Information about Red Eye's Nielsen Ratings is sparse, but it appears to have at least fairly consistently been the number-one cable news show in its time slot. In March 2007, when the show was still airing at 2 a.m., Red Eye averaged 309,000 viewers in its time slot, down about nine percent from March 2006 but still beating MSNBC's true-crime programs and CNN's reruns of Anderson Cooper 360. In the age 25-54 demographic, however, the show was up 15 percent from the prior year. In March 2006, the 2-3 a.m. time slot averaged 134,000 demo viewers; in March 2007, it was 154,000. In the 18-34 demo, the time slot was up 27 percent, from 33,000 to 42,000.[9]

After the show moved to its current 3 a.m. time slot in October 2007, Red Eye's ratings decreased. As of the show's one-year anniversary, average viewership dipped 15 percent, to 285,000. The 25-54 demo was down 24 percent, to 123,000.[10] The show's second anniversary episode on February 5, 2009, however, appeared to show significant improvement: Red Eye averaged 390,000 viewers, with 166,000 in the 25-54 demo; CNN's Larry King Live re-run averaged 301,000 viewers with 108,000 in the demo; and MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews re-run averaged 214,000 viewers with 126,000 in the demo.

en.wikipedia.org...

A viewership of approx 300,000? That's 0.1% of the population.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Well, you may not think we need to take comments like this seriously but apparently, our Government doesn't agree with you.

www.google.com...

"Red Eye" host Greg Gutfeld says his comments "may have been misunderstood" and in no way were meant to disrespect "the brave men, women and families of the Canadian military."

Fox News issued the Gutfeld statement just after the Canadian government demanded an apology for what it called the "despicable" and "disgusting" comments.

And rightly so.

Just hours after these infotainment peddlers made these comments, four more of our soldiers died.

Maybe they should be made to air a segment on our Highway Of Hero's.

And for anyone who says it's only satire, whatever. That's my friends and family over there fighting. I have every RIGHT to pissed off at these fools.
I wonder if any of them have had the balls to sign up and defend their own country.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
Whether you find it funny or not is a matter of your own opinion.

Entirely so but since i am not hopelessly misinformed/ignorant there obviously wasn'y anything funny to be seen.

As for the content, well, do you watch every night? Somehow, I doubt it. I'm not going to say that the show doesn't have a conservative bias, it does, but they're not averse to taking pot shots at everyone...themselves included.

Conservative bias? Did you perhaps have a minor in the art of understatement? ( yes, mostly kidding)

Understand something: I am not defending what was said. All I'm saying is that given the nature of the show, it is NOT a news broadcast and the show *intentionally* pushes the boundaries and can be offensive if you get your political sensibilities bruised easily.

It isn't a news channel so you do not have to tell me that there isn't any news to be found on it. The point i have apparently failed to make is the that this sort of nonsense is considered 'satire' ( politically commentary if you like) based on what goes for news on Fox and in that regard it undermines progressive thought as much as it is helped by TDS and a few others that actually understands how to best undermine the lies we see propagated as 'news'.

I can understand that you do not see the danger in this but then at least you seem to understand that Fox isn't a news channel which isn't something that can be said for many millions of American viewers.

Stellar

[edit on 23-3-2009 by StellarX]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
So I guess the guy made a feeble apology for his ignorant remarks.

news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca...

"My apologies to the Canadian military, they probably could at least beat the Belgians," Gutfeld mused in his Twitter account on Sunday.

Hey, friend, we did pretty well against the Germans in WW1 and WW2, don't forget.

The real outrage here, is the guy's continuing ignorance of history, which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt the courage and ability of the Canadian soldier. And despite the Americans' failure in Iraq he still believes they the standard against all others be judged.

On June 2, 1940, as his armies were conquering France, Hitler personally toured the Vimy Memorial and its preserved trenches. Hitler had been twice decorated for bravery as an infantryman during the Great War and saw combat in the general vicinity of Vimy, often against Commonwealth soldiers in similar trenches. While the German leader had no qualms about destroying culturally significant locations in France including many French war monuments which were torn down by the Nazis, the Vimy memorial carried no messages of Allied triumph over Germany. So it was protected by Hitler, who assigned special units of the Waffen SS to guard the monument from defacement by regular German Wehrmacht soldiers.[10] University of Ottawa historian Serge Durflinger[1] notes that "Hitler admires it immensely, he says so at the time. As a result, the Germans respect[ed] the memorial all through the war."

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I still don't get it. Americans and their military every day are called murderers, minions of Satan and much worse, and they somehow manage to deal with it.

We all know what the Israeli forces are accused of everywhere. Doesn't phase them.

Canadians are like the Muslims. Just can't take a joke.

Rioting in Ottawa, burning down the US consulate are next.

Macho Canucks.

Mike

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Ignorance is bliss as the saying goes...

Somethings are best left untouched. These people represent a cross-section of the American view towards an ally that has always been there when you've asked, except for Iraq because we the people said no because there was no link to 9/11 and our Gov't listened(for once)

Our media take pot shots at each other's countries all the time but ours respect somethings. Ignorant comments as those displayed by the people on that show make your country look worse and compounds the problem your countries reputation and image is facing worldwide.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael
Canadians are like the Muslims. Just can't take a joke.
Rioting in Ottawa, burning down the US consulate are next.
Macho Canucks.

See, one of the biggest fears is that we'll pull out of your stoopid war and leave you to the same fate as the Russians...or, I donno...you guys in Iraq, for instance.

Cuz day-by-day we're asking ourselve what we're doing there. We went in post-911 to help our friends. Looks like we're through.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Front page on YouTube's page today, this went viral.

Canadian government defense minster reacts.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Jesus. Mackay said it in the first minute(paraphrased), "The vast majority of Americans appreciate what Canada has done...." And we are still beating this drum. When did we become a nation of whiners? :shk:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

You actually take comedians seriously. I suggest you guys get your air force to crank up those ultra lights, and drop flour on the guy. That'll show him!

/yeah, yeah, I know. The only country that's managed to burn the U.S. capitol to the ground.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Callous comments get our blood boiling:

Prior to Greg Gutfeld jamming his foot down his throat with an asinine TV piece slamming the Canadian military, the Fox News commentator thought we were a nation of pushovers. Over the past week, he received one hell of a wake-up call, and deservedly so.

We’re too damned cerebral. If the previous U. S. administration had bothered to use its brains before flexing its muscles, it would have never stumbled into Iraq, chasing WMD ghosts its so-called intelligence experts fabricated. Bad Canada for not following blindly in the U. S.’s wake on that one.

link-
www.ospreyblogs.com...

Sometimes Canada ain't so damn polite.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join