It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News belittles Canadian Military

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
It's a dumb show. Don't get your panties in a knot.

I am Canadian. I regularly trash the US in these forums on a variety of issues (pat them on the back too), but I can't take this program or these people seriously.

Canada is the mouse in bed with the elephant and will always have all manner of policies that reflect that fact. No matter how light hearted and careless the US might get with us, we must and will always take them very seriously. And we should.

The Americans grounded in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia and elsewhere in Canada on 9/11 know the value of their neighbor to the north.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I'm getting tired of hearing people say "It's FOX, don't take it seriously."

The fact is, people do take FOX seriously. They consider it gospel, they consider Bill O'Reilly a journalist and Tom Brokow a propagandist. If told CNN and MSNBC are far-left media outlets, they'll believe it and speak it without so much as questioning it.

What something is meant to be means absolutely nothing when it is taken as something else entirely.

i do believe CNN and msnbc are left media outlets, i used to watch them!!! i got sick and tired of olbermann using orielly as "worst people int he world" on his list every night.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by For(Home)Country

lol.. well.. think about it. If ANY nation in the history of man kind lost 120ish troops over 6 years and then said they need a breather... well.. you would be laughed at by everyone else in the world.

Not saying the sacrifice wasn't there, especially since America killed some of those guys, but looking at it from historical context it's pretty sad.

I'm sorry, but a loss is a loss. Maybe you've never had a family, maybe you've never been in love, or maybe you've just never treasured your life or the ones most precious around you. Obviously that is the case because you make light of the sacrifice. If my girlfriend or wife was involved in the armed forces and died, that would be enough death for me to say "Stop sending lives over there now" regardless of whatever the hell history says. Sure, this isn't Russia's sacrifice of over one million soldiers during world war two, but to each individual, that life that has been lost effects so many.

I feel so sorry for you that you have not yet felt the warmth and joy relationships with other human beings can bring. Maybe once you get out and explore this new concept, it may shed some light on what each individual life means to you, and then maybe 118 deaths won't look like so much a statistic to you. We're not pulling out because we've lost too many, we are pulling out because we lack the resources to maintain our current offencive. Sure, that seems weak and pathetic, but its the current fact. You can laugh all you want, and when you compare it to your military it seems hilarious, but please put the dollars aside and don't put a capital cap on human life.

Fall in love or something.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

It sounds like you have a lot of anger pent up , for this is a

serious over-reaction on your part.

After reading your last post, it sounds like to me that you should

write the exact same thing in a letter to your Premier , or Prime

Minister , people on this site didn.t start the war , or want it

continued.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

Well, I'm not exactly angry, and maybe I do need to turn it down a notch, but there seems to be a lack for human regard from the majority of people for anyone beyond their own life. To be honest, I've come to accept that fact that the original clip was intended to be comical, and that is fine. It's just that I see from my own country-mates a lack of national pride. I want to instill nationalism where I can. It shouldn't involve bashing any other nation because then I am no different then what was shown in the clip. But I've noticed a disturbing trend growing, a trend that has become our downfall. Each person focuses on being independent and individual, and in some cases this attitude has hurt thousands for the sake of pleasuring a select few. I hate seeing this happen, and when we have people bashing other people about what they have done for the "greater good", it just pushes us farther away from collectivism and benevolence.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
reply to post by Seany

Well, I'm not exactly angry, and maybe I do need to turn it down a notch, but there seems to be a lack for human regard from the majority of people for anyone beyond their own life. To be honest, I've come to accept that fact that the original clip was intended to be comical, and that is fine. It's just that I see from my own country-mates a lack of national pride. I want to instill nationalism where I can. It shouldn't involve bashing any other nation because then I am no different then what was shown in the clip. But I've noticed a disturbing trend growing, a trend that has become our downfall. Each person focuses on being independent and individual, and in some cases this attitude has hurt thousands for the sake of pleasuring a select few. I hate seeing this happen, and when we have people bashing other people about what they have done for the "greater good", it just pushes us farther away from collectivism and benevolence.

nice. you should make peace with your own french canadians first before you start going on angry tirades again. im 20% french canadian and i even hate that part of myself.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

M8 , this is my personal stance , kinda involves this thread

Americans think they live in the greatest country in the world

Canadians know they live in the greatest country in the world

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
It's just that I see from my own country-mates a lack of national pride.

Oh no you didn't. I think this is a joke, nothing more but I won't have anyone question my patriotism. My grandfather served in WW2 before Canada joined. He transfered later. My father was in the Navy. I didn't get to serve because I pissed away my teens and 20's and they wouldn't take my at 30. Just because I don't get my ass in the air about a stupid satirical piece doesn't mean I think less of my country.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
nice. you should make peace with your own french canadians first before you start going on angry tirades again.

Or maybe you should do some research. You would find that seperatism is at an all time low.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

No, please don't take offence to what I said. I don't doubt that there are very many Canadians who are patriotic and would serve at the drop at a hat, not only in the military, but in several other forms to regarding national issues. I don't doubt that from you either. But see, I'm from a place where not only is immigration high (don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that) but during WWII, there were very many conscience objectors in my area, and that I think makes the area I'm from very un-patriotic and not so supporting of our Military. I myself am against conscience objections to being enlisted or even asked to join the military, especially in a time of need, and I am a Christian, but thats for another thread.

I believe that slowly, Canadians are beginning to feel pride sneak back into our hearts. I believe that separatism is a horrible idea, and I love French Canada and Quebec. I'm glad that we have two national languages. I believe the east and the west need to strive to get along. As the economic situation slowly brings down the richer provinces such as Alberta and Ontario, and benefits Manitoba and Saskatchewan, I believe that we all see ourselves as more equal and that we are a nation. You are not a French-Canadian, a Iraqi-Canadian, an African-Canadian or a Chinese-Canadian or whatever race you are, you are simply a Canadian.

I'm a nationalist, and I believe we need to take pride so that we view ourselves just as capable as any other major nation in the world.

[edit on 113131p://666 by For(Home)Country]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Just because I don't get my ass in the air about a stupid satirical piece doesn't mean I think less of my country.

jailhouse expressions are so tongue in cheek.

seriously, i believe there is a conscious propaganda campaign aimed at sowing ill will between the two countries, with coulter et al in the vanguard.
i think the two counties need to sit down and watch 'canadian bacon' over a couple brewskies.

american people are fine (super awesome when you're on THEIR turf, less so when they are not in the 'da graydist countra in da wurld'. all part of the program(ming the merciless).), it's american culture/programming that is dangerous and controlled by individuals with nefarious purpose that sows global angst.
who to blame when the teevee/paper lies and the people believe the lies? the people who watch, or the people who broadcast/publish?

[edit on 21-3-2009 by billybob]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I'm Canadian. Totally embarrassed by what I'm reading on this thread.

Good news, the laws have changed, You don't have to watch FOX NEWS or any American television if you are going to be traumatized by a comedy act.

Canadians mercilessly ridicule the US on their TV, in magazines, etc.
Americans aren't whining and moaning. and outrageously indignant.

Canadians have such low self esteem practically anything will upset them.

Grow up.

Mike F

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Canadians, of course your sacrifice and friendship is appreciated. Please be aware we have craptastic tv in the USA. Our tv offends everybody and anybody and probably even extra-terrestrials who got stuck with the assignment of monitoring it. There's really not much we can do about it, either. Every now and again somebody will organize a boycott of sponsors, but the net effect is pretty much zero.

I'll try my hand at the following Disclaimer:
Please be advised that the views expressed by the various talking heads on our various programs do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs or intelligence level of the people of the USA. Please also remember that the population of the USA is a diverse one, comprised of people from all over the world and is not a homogoneous entity holding one uniform world view, religion, political ideology or race.

Seriously, I'm sad to hear constantly how hated we Americans are, often for things that are beyond any one individual's control. Honestly we're a nice bunch and I don't personally know a single soul who hasn't volunteered loads of money and/or time to help out people from other parts of the world. Please don't hate us just because we have some twits on tv. We have lots of twits on tv. I think it's an FCC rule, we're required to maintain a steady proportion of twits in the public eye. I mean something has to explain Paris Hilton being plastered all over our media 24/7.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If this particular show on fox was supposed to be funny it failed and last i checked satire should involve some truth which again this show did not. Fact is there is little backing for this war in Canada ( and the rest of the civilized world ) and like the other so called 'allies' they are leaving mainly because the Canadian government can no longer maintain the charade ( in these economic times) of a war on terrorism while Canadians suffer for the absence of funds wasted to aid a lost American imperialist cause.

Fox doesn't have comedy shows as much as it has attempts to package propaganda that can get some laughs from the allready mostly misinformed and or brainwashed.

I don't want to hear that this utter nonsense is comparable to TDS as that would require that it's based on 'real world' (TM) events.

Stellar

[edit on 22-3-2009 by StellarX]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Its not a news program and doesn't even pretend to be. Its a comedy-based political commentary show. As others have said, there's a reason that its on at the time of the morning that it is. The show is rather obviously intended to be provocative. Everyone who does watch it knows that its pretty far from politically correct and it doesn't even pretend to be, so quit being so hypersensitive. If you don't like it and can't handle at least a few of your beliefs being insulted (they get around to pretty much everyone), then don't watch it.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
What Canadian Military?

They have a 50,000 man army maybe. And a few ships and lots 'o beer.

And live in Florida half the year.

Oh dear!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Two words: Chicken Hawks

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It sounds to me like these are a bunch of third-rate comedians trying desperately to be funny. It's not working. Not exactly a news show. And that's ok. Canadians have a great sense of humour and can take a joke.

To be fair, Canada's fighting men are as good as any country on the planet. What we don't have is the latest equipment, and the numbers of troops. Nothing that money can't fix.

Also, I think it's funny how they talk about invading Canada like it would be a walk in the park. Have they learned nothing from Iraq and Afghanistan? Iraq doesn't have an army. Afghanistan doesn't have an army. And yet the mighty American war machine has been fought to a standstill.

What makes them think Canada would be any different? I've said it before and I'll say it again: without using nukes, America could not, would not, invade Canada.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by TheComte]

[edit on 22-3-2009 by TheComte]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
Its not a news program and doesn't even pretend to be.

But it does perpetuate the same old mythologies the republican party ( or rather the US national security state ) depends on for at least some semblance of political support.

Its a comedy-based political commentary show.

Comedy? Shouldn't it be funny if it were in fact a comedy show? What 'politics' is discussed in any political way?

As others have said, there's a reason that its on at the time of the morning that it is.

It's on at 2am because Fox has better propaganda/misinformation programs to fill the rest of the day with.

The show is rather obviously intended to be provocative.

What is provactive about lying beside the fact that it shouldn't be done on a national broadcaster? Why should the Canadian military be able to cope with these deployments when the much larger and far better funded US armed forces is bursting at the seams and generally destroying itself in the same way as in the Vietnam era?

Everyone who does watch it knows that its pretty far from politically correct and it doesn't even pretend to be,

If only everyone were in fact as well informed as you suggest no one would consider this a comedy show or watch it. The fact that it happens is sadly evidence that fox succeeds at creating alternative , racist militaristic ,alternative realities.

so quit being so hypersensitive. If you don't like it and can't handle at least a few of your beliefs being insulted (they get around to pretty much everyone), then don't watch it.

And this is what i absolutely HAD to respond to. This sort of show does NOT get around to everyone and in fact makes predictable partisan attacks as ordered by their corporate paymasters on anyone who dares object to the capitalistic imperialistic new world order as sponsored and enforced by the US national security state.

Stellar

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This thread is why I finally joined ATS.

I am an American and I love my country. Our out of control government has and is still doing everything it can do destroy us as a nation.

I am ex-military. US Navy to be exact. I have visited Canada many times and have only the best experience with our friends and neighbors to the north. Canadians are hospitable and warm people and I respect them greatly and thank them for their contribution to every effort every made to protect and defend the North American continent.

I had the pleasure of serving side by side with the Canadian navy and found them to be honorable and well trained and very dedicated to their mission. I have the utmost respect for the Canadian military.

I do not share the same views as this idiot on this lame Fox news show that has disrespected our closest ally.

TBone

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join