It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News belittles Canadian Military

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

You really think Red Eye is a news show?

Or is your problem with this topic FOX in general?

I would guess the second.

If so, you can stop beating the horse, it has stopped breathing.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Gutfeld is a Satirist. Red Eye is not a news program.

From Merriam-Webster -

1 : a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn 2 : trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

He was making fun of people who make fun of Canadians.

Satire does tend to upset people who do not understand its intent or purpose. But then, that is where the humor comes in. People with short fuses are easily upset by it while those who get it are amused by it.

Laugh at yourself now and then. You will be far healthier both physically and mentally.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well for one who actually reads some military history ( unlike the presenters on that show i reckon) i have said in the pat and will repeat now that i find plenty of cowardly behaviour by Germans, Americans, Russians and the like in wars past but can't seem to remember having ever read similar stuff about Canadian men in arms. Why that is i can but speculate but to say that the Canadian military has been underated by it's allies ( not by enemies; check German writings on Canadian units) is certainly accurate.

But i suppose the joke is on people who actually watch this type of show and believe anything they hear.

Stellar

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by paddlefish jr.
reply to post by MurrayTORONTO

MurrayTORONTO:
I guess we all have our own perspectives. If you are a proud Canadian I can understand that. If your agenda is to slam Fox, nice try.

Did you miss the compliment? As a US vet, my comment about Canadian soldiers was high praise.

Correct me if I am wrong, I have never seen one of your posts defending the America Bashing on this site.

Having spent much time with my Relatives in Newcastle, I'm sure they'd second the notion you are over-reacting.

Relax. Life is indeed short.

My post was in no way intended to be on the offense, I was merely stating my view as a Canadian. Maybe the way I wrote it made me come off as mad, I assure you I wasn't.
I don't go out of my way to defend Americans, then again I also don't go out of my way to start fights-- but when somone says stuff like that which hits so close to home .. it hurts.

Anyways, I respect your posts, mine wasn't intended to initiate an argument with you just to just voice my opinion... thats all.

With love from Canada

[edit on 21-3-2009 by MurrayTORONTO]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I strongly think there are some things you do not make fun of and I think that this is one of them.

Satire or what ever you call it this was plain was out of order.

These are the people we are talking about watch it..

Still think its satire.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

lol.. well.. think about it. If ANY nation in the history of man kind lost 120ish troops over 6 years and then said they need a breather... well.. you would be laughed at by everyone else in the world.

Not saying the sacrifice wasn't there, especially since America killed some of those guys, but looking at it from historical context it's pretty sad.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Not saying the sacrifice wasn't there, especially since America killed some of those guys, but looking at it from historical context it's pretty sad.

You lost me, what is sad?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
If it was satire or not, it was still done in poor taste.

They should know better.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
You know I promised myself I wouldn't comment on a news networks' stupidity anymore...But I have to.

They are welcome to say what they'd like. I have been a host of several large and popular Open Mics all over Nevada. People sometimes get on stage and say some very offensive things. But I let them, because what happens in the parking lot after hours is none of my concern. They pay the consequences.

However this just plainly disparages a very close ally that has for a very long time bled with us on common battlefields with as much courage and ferocity as anyone in the US Armed Forces.

Screw Fox News.

Canada's Armed Forces

[edit on 21-3-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
As a Canadian who's father served in the military for 30yrs I can get mad at the "facts" that were given on the show.

But... in the context of humor, I believe nothing is safe.

because where do you draw the line?

We all laugh at jokes, sometimes off-color,

But when it hits home close to you, you become offended.

Racists jokes...haha
sexual jokes....haha
political jokes...haha
chauvinistic jokes...haha

hey! I'm Canadian, someone close to me fought in Afghanistan.....shame on you!!!!!!!

Let it go! Get a thicker skin.

Once again I'm Canadian.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by wrathchild]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

That's the thing, if things like these were isolated incidents of carelessness or off-color humor I wouldn't be offended. But Fox news has a track record of repeated, undue disparaging of ones' character, lying about historical facts, manipulating information, and just plain fabricating the stuff.

They were reporting on WMDs in Iraq WELL after it was widely accepted that there were none there. They falsely extended a finished debate to distract people from what was really going on. They accused Obama of being a stealth muslim terrorist, they accused Ron Paul of being a racist, they called anyone with a differing opinion from the status quo a traitor. The list goes on.

It's their track record that worries me, and I don't see this as a joke.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I agree if this was a news show....

But it's a comedy show.

They get comedians and radio shock jocks as "pundants"

Hardly the news...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

Well hell I can't tell the difference. I watch Comedy Central for satire. I thought Fox was supposed to be at least trying to hide being a fake news network.

Fair and Balanced:
We Report, You Decide.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

fox news= 23.5hrs of complete b.s.

.5 hrs of almost not bad fake news. I hope most people are able to tell the difference.

The host of the show was a former editor of Maxin magazine. Guests include such comics as Jimmy Norton and Anthony Cumia. If I saw Karl Rowe cracking jokes about WMD'S then I might have a issue.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Yea your country just throws shoes and protests our president every time they come to your country to make a speech.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'm getting tired of hearing people say "It's FOX, don't take it seriously."

The fact is, people do take FOX seriously. They consider it gospel, they consider Bill O'Reilly a journalist and Tom Brokow a propagandist. If told CNN and MSNBC are far-left media outlets, they'll believe it and speak it without so much as questioning it.

What something is meant to be means absolutely nothing when it is taken as something else entirely.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelinside451
Yea your country just throws shoes and protests our president every time they come to your country to make a speech.

I wouldn't mind a link or 2 to back that up.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

Don Imus was on MSNBC.... A serious "news" channel. His radio show was considered a comedy show(for 30=yrs). During 4hrs of non-scripted radio he made an off color remark. The entire country went "mad". 50 yrs of broadcasting ...down the drain.

It was done in the context of humour.

I don't know about you.... but Fox has been pretty decent with humour in the past...eg

Simpsons
Family Guy
Married with Children

So they take a half hour to make a comedy show on their crappy news channel, and all of the sudden there is some right wing agenda????

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by intelinside451

My friend ,Your thinking of Bush's visit to Iraq , where the man showed some

nimbleness ducking the shoes

Obama visited Canada as his first foreign visit, and too put

it mildly , if they added some swarmy music it would have been

a NC17 rated affair. The mutual backslapping was kinda

over the top

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelinside451

I suppose such lefties like Jon Stewart
didn't take that footage and run with it.

If someone threw their Nikes at Obama that would also make a week's worth of jokes too.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join