It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hotter than the Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Scientists might have finally found out the reason the Sun's Corona is hotter than the Sun's surface. Which sounds kind of ridiculous, but is true. Or as we are told so. I don't know about most of you, but I've always wondered why its like that.

They said that Magnetic Alfven waves are likely the cause of this increase of heat. I believe that the surface of the sun is 5,800 Kelvin, and the Corona is around 1-2 million Kelvin. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The article is below, Enjoy.

www.sciencenews.org...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Sounds like they are verifying the electric sun theory.
I can't wait for the irrefutable evidence that destroys the standard cosmological model. Then we can dispense with red shift theory and consider how the universe really works.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

We will probably never be sure if were right about how the universe works. I mean whos there to check us? Anyway, I always felt like something is missing, when I am learning something new about space. Like what I am hearing is not the whole truth. There is so many things that need to be discovered about the physics of the universe.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Wikipedia

The optical surface of the Sun (the photosphere) is known to have a temperature of approximately 6,000 K. Above it lies the solar corona at a temperature of 1,000,000 K. The high temperature of the corona shows that it is heated by something other than direct heat conduction from the photosphere.

It is thought that the energy necessary to heat the corona is provided by turbulent motion in the convection zone below the photosphere, and two main mechanisms have been proposed to explain coronal heating. The first is wave heating, in which sound, gravitational and magnetohydrodynamic waves are produced by turbulence in the convection zone. These waves travel upward and dissipate in the corona, depositing their energy in the ambient gas in the form of heat. The other is magnetic heating, in which magnetic energy is continuously built up by photospheric motion and released through magnetic reconnection in the form of large solar flares and myriad similar but smaller events.[63]

Currently, it is unclear whether waves are an efficient heating mechanism. All waves except Alfvén waves have been found to dissipate or refract before reaching the corona.[64] In addition, Alfvén waves do not easily dissipate in the corona. Current research focus has therefore shifted towards flare heating mechanisms. One possible candidate to explain coronal heating is continuous flaring at small scales,[65] but this remains an open topic of investigation.

Alfvén waves

Definition

An Alfvén wave in a plasma is a low-frequency traveling oscillation of the ions and the magnetic field (by low frequency we mean that the wave frequency is well below the ion cyclotron frequency). The ion mass density provides the inertia and the magnetic field line tension provides the restoring force.

The wave propagates in the direction of the magnetic field, although waves exist at oblique incidence and smoothly change into the magnetosonic wave when the propagation is perpendicular to the magnetic field.

The motion of the ions and the perturbation of the magnetic field are in the same direction and transverse to the direction of propagation. The wave is dispersionless.

... and thats all folks.

Trams thks for the news.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by theSeeker84

Thats what I'm here for.

Thanks for the read by the way.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Wow bra,
[SNIP]. Did you know that There are scientists in erope working on plasma fushon? And when they are done they will reach heats over the heat of the son. at least that is what they say. who knows what will happen, maybe we'll all die in a tradic chain reaction. check it out on www.nationalgeographic.com

Mod Edit: Civility and Decorum are Required

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trams
reply to post by SevenThunders

We will probably never be sure if were right about how the universe works. I mean whos there to check us? Anyway, I always felt like something is missing, when I am learning something new about space. Like what I am hearing is not the whole truth. There is so many things that need to be discovered about the physics of the universe.

I've quoted you because therein lies the root of the problem we've had the last 60 or so years. I remember a quote in another recent post of Stephen Hawking, saying(more or less) - 'There seems to be little else left that needs figuring out, now all we have to do is refine/work on what we've got". Ok, my rememberance of the quote isn't great, but basically, ideas such as these (Alfven Waves), in particular any of the Electromagnetic/Electrodynamic proposals have been absolutely ignored and suppressed, going back all the way to the great Kristian Birkeland in the 1920's.

“Rather than learning how to think scientifically, students are generally being told about science and asked to remember facts.” “Their science teachers failed to make it clear that science fundamentally depends on evidence that can be logically and independently verified; instead, they taught science as if it were a form of revealed truth from scientists.” This attitude carries over into the way scientists report their findings and the supine attitude of the media.
www.thunderbolts.info...

We have spent the last 60 years idolizing and forming a very dogmatic approach to our knowledge of the cosmos. We follow and strictly adhere to ideas that were made anywhere from 50 to 200 years ago! We no longer seek to learn and know what those before us failed to understand. The technology we have to do is remarkable, simply incredible! Yet, we refuse to consider ANY ideas that threaten the "validity" of the Standard Theory. Think about it. The people who came up with a lot of these ideas, they were using telescope-type equipment that was made almost/over 100 years ago! The status quo remains most important, it seems.

I apologize for the mini-rant, for I am uber-excited at this news.
I knew, just KNEW, that eventually we would make telescopes that are so powerful that the Truth would be too clear and obvious for us to ignore any longer. This is only the beginning of the end for Standard Theory. Thank God! Maybe now we can learn something we didn't already know before WWII!

(I have my own, never mentioned theories regarding Dark Matter/Energy: They got these ideas and names/labels out there early enough, and convinced the masses that, despite ZERO evidence to prove them, they "were on it." When the day comes that electromagnetism is revealed as the true/dominant force in space, and that Plasma permeates/fills 99.9% of the space we see around us, they will simply correlate that "Oh, Dark Energy is actually this(EM)...we knew it all along." They will take all the credit for all these findings, despite the fact that they've been surpressing the same information from publishing for the last CENTURY. We produced an ATOMIC BOMB 60 FREAKIN' YEARS AGO! HOW, HOW CAN WE STILL NOT KNOW ANY MORE THAN WE DID THEN? WE'VE SPENT BILLIONS, IF NOT TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS, ON NASA AND ALL THE SPACE-OPTICS, YET THE BEST WE CAN COME UP WITH IS "ooh Dark Flow/Dark Energy/etc. ????? Gimme a break!)

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Birdman Jr.]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightpoundworld
Wow bra,
[SNIP]. Did you know that There are scientists in erope working on plasma fushon? And when they are done they will reach heats over the heat of the son. at least that is what they say. who knows what will happen, maybe we'll all die in a tradic chain reaction. check it out on www.nationalgeographic.com

Learn to spell please! Oh and while you are at it learn a thing or two about physics. Fusion is far less dangerous than fission....

Edit for self restraint reasons.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by DaMod]

Mod Edit: Removed quoted insult.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by eightpoundworld

I'm not wasting my time. If one is to know knowledge about a subject, he must know every little thing, in case he gets questioned, bra...

Birdman Jr.

Thats something that I've noticed as well. I read a couple of science books from the late 60's early 70's, and almost everything in those books is what is being taught in schools. We are indeed spending so much money on these space/science programs that haven't really brought up any light on the subject. Hopefully we are going to start to see the big picture of whats going on.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Birdman Jr.

Good luck with that, because first you have to get them to actually believe the evidence that is in front of their eyes. IMHO Halton Arp has falsified red shift theory.
www.electric-cosmos.org...

He has not produced a satisfactory replacement theory, but he has falsified the current one. Two colocated galaxies are producing vastly different redshifts. Why doesn't that ring the bells of the so called geniuses of science? Are their continuing grant prospects and peer reviewed journal opportunities that important?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by eightpoundworld

Uhm.. From Hawaii right? Aloha!

Anyways.. The experiment will be conducted in a magnetically sealed chamber. The plasma generated during that time will be confined. Much the same way as when the super collider experiment took place. Given the amount of heat calculated to be generated during such time, fail safes will be in place. Not to mention the size of this point of heat will be quite small and not self sustaining.
You don't need to be concerned about this experiment. A runaway experiment of this nature is not possible. To generate the sort of heat as stated, requires a special high pressure mixed gas environment. Open atmosphere won't due.
Your concerns are the same as those during the super collider experiment.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Man I know what you're saying about all that "Bra" thing and the lack of knowledge in certain aspects of science. Just remember that this person has an interest in the subject. That's a good thing, Right? You shouldn't knock people in such a manner. Who knows, you could be knocking one of the greatest scientific minds of our time. It all a matter of individual perspective.

top topics

join