It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Global Warming "Tipping Points"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I just read this article on National Geographic and I thought that some of you on ATS would enjoy reading this. It obviously talks about five disasters that can occur, that can really affect the Earth's Biosphere. In my opinion this is a subject that we should pay attention to, what king of world will our great grand children inherit? Will they look back to our time and think why didn't we act on it? I've read somewhere that Earth can turn into a Venus Type planet due to the increase of the Greenhouse Effect. Anyway the links are below. Enjoy.

MAIN LINK!
news.nationalgeographic.com...

1. Amazon Shrinks 50 Percent

2. Atlantic "Conveyor Belt" Disrupted

3. Greenland Largely Ice Free

4. El NiƱo Becomes Permanent

5. West Antarctica Islands Revealed

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Agreed with this.

1.The amazon is losing many fottball field's size of rainforest every minute.

2.The atalantic drift current, which is crucial in deciding the weather for europe will slow down or worse shut down, triggering a massive cooling of earth.(please note, global warming not necessarily means heating of earth alone. It is just a term)

3.We have witnessed this last summer itself.

4.Yup, the weather is turning wild, you can see what happened in america last winter.

5.Antarctica is experiencing the same effects as that of the arctic, but at a relatively slower rate.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Well, If you actually believe CO2 is a problem... then get a solution because our leaders are not. They are promoting the "carbon credit" scam that will not take a single ton of CO2 out of the atmosphere but will enrich the "paper traders" at your expense.

The carbon credit scam will cost each household about $1,100.00 a year if it passes with Obama's budget... YOU pay more for electricity, natural gas, and oil and the money goes to the "Financial Industry Traders" buying and selling paper.... All of us pay more to to make traders rich and give the Government a stealth tax.... yeah!

Here is a solution but we will never do it because the Money Lords don't get paid.... the greenies need to wake up and if they actually believe all the CO2 crap then they should demand a real solution and not "wealth redistribution" from the people to the elite.

www.newscientist.com...

From newscientist.com with James Lovelock the man whos work on atmospheric chlorofluorocarbons led eventually to a global CFC ban that saved us from ozone-layer depletion. He is an ultimate greenie and knows carbon credits / cap & trade is a scam and will do nothing to CO2 levels... He has a solution that doesn't require subsidies, scams, etc but he doesn't expect it to happen because the money for the corrupt can't be made with his solution.

2009 promises to be an exciting time for James Lovelock. But the originator of the Gaia theory, which describes Earth as a self-regulating planet, has a stark view of the future of humanity. He tells Gaia Vince we have one last chance to save ourselves - and it has nothing to do with nuclear power

Your work on atmospheric chlorofluorocarbons led eventually to a global CFC ban that saved us from ozone-layer depletion. Do we have time to do a similar thing with carbon emissions to save ourselves from climate change?

Not a hope in hell. Most of the "green" stuff is verging on a gigantic scam. Carbon trading, with its huge government subsidies, is just what finance and industry wanted. It's not going to do a damn thing about climate change, but it'll make a lot of money for a lot of people and postpone the moment of reckoning. I am not against renewable energy, but to spoil all the decent countryside in the UK with wind farms is driving me mad. It's absolutely unnecessary, and it takes 2500 square kilometres to produce a gigawatt - that's an awful lot of countryside.
What about work to sequester carbon dioxide?

That is a waste of time. It's a crazy idea - and dangerous. It would take so long and use so much energy that it will not be done.

So are we doomed?

There is one way we could save ourselves and that is through the massive burial of charcoal. It would mean farmers turning all their agricultural waste - which contains carbon that the plants have spent the summer sequestering - into non-biodegradable charcoal, and burying it in the soil. Then you can start shifting really hefty quantities of carbon out of the system and pull the CO2 down quite fast.

Would it make enough of a difference?

Yes. The biosphere pumps out 550 gigatonnes of carbon yearly; we put in only 30 gigatonnes. Ninety-nine per cent of the carbon that is fixed by plants is released back into the atmosphere within a year or so by consumers like bacteria, nematodes and worms. What we can do is cheat those consumers by getting farmers to burn their crop waste at very low oxygen levels to turn it into charcoal, which the farmer then ploughs into the field. A little CO2 is released but the bulk of it gets converted to carbon. You get a few per cent of biofuel as a by-product of the combustion process, which the farmer can sell. This scheme would need no subsidy: the farmer would make a profit. This is the one thing we can do that will make a difference, but I bet they won't do it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
Well, If you actually believe CO2 is a problem... then get a solution because our leaders are not. They are promoting the "carbon credit" scam that will not take a single ton of CO2 out of the atmosphere but will enrich the "paper traders" at your expense.

The carbon credit scam will cost each household about $1,100.00 a year if it passes with Obama's budget... YOU pay more for electricity, natural gas, and oil and the money goes to the "Financial Industry Traders" buying and selling paper.... All of us pay more to to make traders rich and give the Government a stealth tax.... yeah!

Your post was an excellent point.

I have always been pro Green energies and less pollutants but since "Global Warming" became such a large industry.. its becoming harder and harder to look beyond the scam to the pollution problem.

Also.. you are going to love this

Click

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
peacejet,

Thanks, for pointing out some points. I didn't know that Global Warming could also mean cooling of the Earth in some areas. I've always thought about it cooling in some places though. This is a great point you made, Global Warming doesn't necessarily mean warming up. Thanks.

infolurker,

Thanks for the link. I'll be reading and studying it sometime tonight. I guess we can't believe everything they say. I've always had a hint that somehow CO2 is the problem. I've read part of the link, where it says
that the Biosphere pumps out 550 gigatonnes of carbon yearly, and we only give out 30! Also about the massive burial of charcoal, all interesting.

Thanks for all your posts so far! Great views!

new topics

top topics

join