It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My BOB

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

no problem NR....as for us lot being nut cases will have to disagree with u on that 1 ha ha! I think people that run around doing the same thing day after day week after week are the nut cases! it took me a divorce and living on a small island in the canarys for 2 years to realise that but now i am making my life more simple and not worrying about trival things like debt and the latest fads as us 30 sumthings do! its all i worry about now is a roof over my head,a few beers in the fridge and Wales losing the Rugby ha ha! well done to the irish lads!

Anyway has anybody thought about things like there heritage etc if the TSHTF? I mean will British people still be able to call there selves English,Welsh or Scottish etc? Even our fellow Americans! Will they still be able to call there selves that? im sure theres enough patriots out there to make sure Americans will always be called Americans.......god bless u all

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Hey cheers Anuubis....tip logged in my head somewhere and hopefully i wont need to use it ha ha! think i better stock up on plenty of lighters and some waterproof matches! As for anybody thinking of buying a 4x4 for a Bug out vehilcle....i would suggest a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5TD.....have had Land Rovers and Toyota Hilux etc but the Pajero takes some beating! i recommend the 92 model and make sure its a jap import because UK version(Shogun) are rubbish! have had a pajero for 6 months now and it has taken such a beating on road and off road it should be dead! they are realy cheap to pick 1 up now so i would recommend them all day!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoulOrb
In the case of a pole shift or something major, I am worried about these domestic animals. I look around, and there are a hell of alot of big dogs around where I live.

Just after SitX those dogs will be hungry but not completely wild. They could make a nice meal or two.
It's not a bad idea to take out future competition early and not having to use your precious supplies until you have no other foodsource.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
I have three magnesium blocks and a small magnifying glass. Plus i know a little trick to start fires with ice in the winter. As long as you have a decent amount of sunlight.

I love the magnifying glass, I did not think of that. Is the ice in winter difficult? I heard mention of that before I think, on a show somewhere.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I have three magnesium blocks and a small magnifying glass. Plus i know a little trick to start fires with ice in the winter. As long as you have a decent amount of sunlight.

Anuubis, can you comment. Here in Canada we just do not have alot of survival stores, and the stuff we get is kind of limited. What do you think of this pack.

Two Pack Magnesium Block

And I see these:
Option Number 2

And for the magnifying glass, I will look for one at the local flea market, but I was also thinking the if I see an old magnifying set, that lens in there might be adequate and lighter. Anything else that people throw away can you think of that has a small lens in it?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

you have the general shape rub it with your hands to heat it up and polish the surface. Once it's polished and smooth and you have the same shape as a magnifying glass it will focus sunlight just like the magnifying glass.

I need to read these posts in sequence. Very neet, I think I will try this some day.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by taffyapple

The lighters and such are a good idea, but the only problem is in the wintertime your fuel sources will be wet. You'll have a hell of a time getting them to light. With the ice lens or magnifying glass you will have no problem. The intense heat of the focused beam will dry out your fuel really quickly. And if you have a breeze blowing you'll never keep your lighters lit. With the lens or glass a breeze will help dry it out and light it. You won't have to blow on it like you do if you get it smoldering with a lighter.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

The lighters and such are a good idea, but the only problem is in the wintertime your fuel sources will be wet. You'll have a hell of a time getting them to light. With the ice lens or magnifying glass you will have no problem. The intense heat of the focused beam will dry out your fuel really quickly. And if you have a breeze blowing you'll never keep your lighters lit. With the lens or glass a breeze will help dry it out and light it. You won't have to blow on it like you do if you get it smoldering with a lighter. well it will be a while before we get any ice around here now....spring is on its way!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulOrb

No the ice in the winter is not difficult as long as you get the shape right and do it quickly so your hands don't get to cold.

Of both choices you linked, i have the first ones. The blast match style are good but don't burn as hot as the magnesium. They only burn about 1500 degree's where as the magnesium burns at about 3800 degree's farenheit. If you have wet fuel it will make a big difference in trying to get a fire started.

Magnifying lenses can be found all over the place. Old telescopes, binoculars,Camera zoom lenses, and spotting scopes are a good place to start. I have two lenses, one is 4" in diameter, the other is 2". Small ones work but don't focus as much light so it takes a little longer. The 2" one came out of an old pair of Bushnell binoculars, the other one i got from my brother about 25 years ago and don't know where he got it from.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by taffyapple

The lighters and such are a good idea, but the only problem is in the wintertime your fuel sources will be wet. You'll have a hell of a time getting them to light. With the ice lens or magnifying glass you will have no problem. The intense heat of the focused beam will dry out your fuel really quickly. And if you have a breeze blowing you'll never keep your lighters lit. With the lens or glass a breeze will help dry it out and light it. You won't have to blow on it like you do if you get it smoldering with a lighter.

well it will be a while before we get any ice around here now....spring is on its way!

And that is why a good magnifying glass is handy.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Ive used the ice glass to start a fire, it works, but alot of things need to be in your favor. Where I am at, in the winter we dont get alot of sun, therefore isnt all that usefull. Pick up a blastmatch, learn to use a flint and steel, or a fire piston. Will prove much better in the long run.

OP. You didnt like my katadyne idea. Yes, they are not cheap. However. A point I would like to make. A proper BOB or INCH is something in which your very life and well being is dependant upon. There is no room to cut corners or go for 2nd rate. If it comes to you and a sack, better be certain everything in said sack as the best their is.

Yes. Many of the things your sack items can do, you can learn to do from the world around you. But most people dont have the time to learn properly. Therefore, top notch items (blastmatch, wetfuel, kelly kettle, katadyne) make sense. Even if some things are expensive, they will simply save your life until you can learn to do without.

This thread was about finding cheap things to load up with. Its a mistake. Learn what you can to improvise from your environment, and in the meantime, but the very best you can, even if is one piece a month until you have a complete kit.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
This thread was about finding cheap things to load up with. Its a mistake. Learn what you can to improvise from your environment, and in the meantime, but the very best you can, even if is one piece a month until you have a complete kit.

No, I am still looking at your suggestions and good points. I guess by cheap, I am not really saying not spending money, but getting the best for the money.

I like those kelly kettles. I assume the one for this case would be the, one here, only 1.5 lbs, and does 2 cups of water, and has a small frying pan with it which should be good to cook up some rice or something, some dry stuff.
Small Kelly Kettle® - Complete Kit

On the water filter, they are terrific and the one that is not carbon based, just the ceramic one is amazing, 30,000 gallons. Is there a favorite there that you have? Do you think the carbon filter is necessary? As for the water filter I was on a hike last weekend I could have used one of those.

And these are things that you can use as well when camping I guess.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Anuubis

Hey cheers Anuubis....tip logged in my head somewhere and hopefully i wont need to use it ha ha! think i better stock up on plenty of lighters and some waterproof matches! As for anybody thinking of buying a 4x4 for a Bug out vehilcle....i would suggest a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5TD.....have had Land Rovers and Toyota Hilux etc but the Pajero takes some beating! i recommend the 92 model and make sure its a jap import because UK version(Shogun) are rubbish! have had a pajero for 6 months now and it has taken such a beating on road and off road it should be dead! they are realy cheap to pick 1 up now so i would recommend them all day!

I've considered the Pajero but thought of it being a bit too heavy and cumbersome.

My next BOV will likely be the Suzuki Vitara. A pocket 4 x 4 and not a true off-roader, but capable, cheap, light and good on fuel.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

reply to post by Anuubis

I've considered the Pajero but thought of it being a bit too heavy and cumbersome.

My next BOV will likely be the Suzuki Vitara. A pocket 4 x 4 and not a true off-roader, but capable, cheap, light and good on fuel.

The Jimny gang appear to have more goodies to do up their vehicles with than the Vitaras, They do all sorts of off road goods where as most of the asccessories for the Vitara are mainly street custom bits.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by WatchRider

reply to post by Anuubis

The Jimny gang appear to have more goodies to do up their vehicles with than the Vitaras, They do all sorts of off road goods where as most of the asccessories for the Vitara are mainly street custom bits.

I'll stick with my 02 Chevy S-10 ZR2. The ZR2 package is a really sweet off road package. Has about the same ground clearance as a standard full size and will go more places because it's lighter.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Anuubis]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join