It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel is IMPOSSIBLE...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Time travel is happening at every moment. Timelines of the past and future affect the now moment. However that is much more difficult for me to explain so I will explain another point to demonstrate how time travel is possible.

The people of the planet see their world through the space/time nexus. That is to say that we exist in three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. When you die and leave your physical body, you arrive at yourself in time/space.

The time/space nexus is that of three dimensions of time and one dimension of space. So a given entity in time/space can look through a past incarnation at any point. But since it is a place of only one dimension of space, there is no interaction with what the entity is seeing. This is why you incarnate. When you decide that you have seen and learned enough from the prior incarnation, you "jump" into space/time to put your understandings into action in three dimensions of space.

While you are in time/space, you are able to move through the three dimensions of time. So there really is no way time travel is impossible.

If you're looking for a link to substantiate what I'm saying, the only one I can give you is lawofone.info. There is a search engine within the site and if you type in "time/space" to it, it will provide material for you. I have really come to this understanding through meditation though and haven't felt the need to go incredibly deep with my research on this since I feel I've already found the truth.

Good luck in your quest for knowledge. It's good to know that people are pondering things of such nature.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
My own sense is that time-travel is indeed possible and that it is indeed happening.

Here a couple citations from the brainiacs about the matter -

Why Time Travel Is Possible

Physicists have found the law of nature which prevents time travel paradoxes, and thereby permits time travel. It turns out to be the same law that makes sure light travels in straight lines, and which underpins the most straightforward version of quantum theory, developed half a century ago by Richard Feynman.

Relativists have been trying to come to terms with time travel for the past seven years, since Kip Thorne and his colleagues at Caltech discovered -- much to their surprise -- that there is nothing in the laws of physics (specifically, the general theory of relativity) to forbid it. Among several different ways in which the laws allow a time machine to exist, the one that has been most intensively studied mathematically is the "wormhole". This is like a tunnel through space and time, connecting different regions of the Universe -- different spaces and different times. The two "mouths" of the wormhole could be next to each other in space, but separated in time, so that it could literally be used as a time tunnel.

Source : Sky Books

Light's Most Exotic Trick Yet: So Fast it Goes ... Backwards?

In the past few years, scientists have found ways to make light go both faster and slower than its usual speed limit, but now researchers at the University of Rochester have published a paper today in Science on how they've gone one step further: pushing light into reverse. As if to defy common sense, the backward-moving pulse of light travels faster than light.

Confused? You're not alone.

"I've had some of the world's experts scratching their heads over this one," says Robert Boyd, the M. Parker Givens Professor of Optics at the University of Rochester. "Theory predicted that we could send light backwards, but nobody knew if the theory would hold up or even if it could be observed in laboratory conditions."

Boyd recently showed how he can slow down a pulse of light to slower than an airplane, or speed it up faster than its breakneck pace, using exotic techniques and materials. But he's now taken what was once just a mathematical oddity—negative speed—and shown it working in the real world.

"It's weird stuff," says Boyd. "We sent a pulse through an optical fiber, and before its peak even entered the fiber, it was exiting the other end. Through experiments we were able to see that the pulse inside the fiber was actually moving backward, linking the input and output pulses."

Source : ScienceBlog

So, why don't we ever 'meet' any time-travelers ?

Good question. The answer may be as simple as, it's not in the protocol. Although, I rather suspect the matter goes deeper than that, certainly it does seem to be kept quite secret from us 'regular folks.'

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I have to disagree with anyone who says that just about anything is impossible. I mean the first thing you learn in physics is that anything is possible it is just often highly improbable. Any way the idea that it is impossible to travel through time due to the fact that the earth would not be in the same location does not make sense to me. First of all we already have ships that travel through the void of space so why wouldn't they be able to make the jump in a space ship. I know this has already been discussed but I would like to point out that the odds of ending up on the smae location of another object in the vast void of space is low. Furthermore even if the jumpin time had a 50 or even 75 percent fatality rate we all know there would still be plent of scientists who would be willing to make the jump due to the staggering advancements and understanding of the past and future it would give us. Also I don't think we fully understand the time-space continuum and therefore don't know if things like inertia come into play, like jumping in the air on a school bus. As for us not seeing or hearing about the time-travelers, they would probably be discredited and put in an insane assylum. I mean were not exactly the most accepting society.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

One-directional time time travel is not only possible but it is essential for the time to tick correctly into the future, and the time machine is called MEMORY. If you won't be able to recall events from the past that directs you toward future chaos would ensue. In other words, if you forget all about your scheduled job interview, someone else who knows how to drive the time machine gets the $200,000 job.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
We're already traveling through time and our feet are still firmly planted on the ground. The trick is figuring out how we're doing it since it's something that apparently happens naturally. Experience has already shown that as we travel through time, we do it in our current frame of reference (which is the earth), so I don't see a danger with flying off into space if we were to manipulate our perception of time.

We know about time dilation, which if harnessed could give us ways of traveling further into the future. Still no clue as to how one might get to the past though. We seem to be hard-wired to travel through time in one direction.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

You're right. The way I like to visualize it is...

If you take a cross section of our body, like an CAT scan, that's what we would look like in the 2nd dimension. In the 3rd Dimension, we look just as we perceive ourselves now. Now, in the 4th dimension, we're long worm-like creatures. Very thin at one end of the worm (when we're babies) and grow larger into our midlife, and then taper back down as we age. We're really just 3-dimensional projections of our 4th dimensional selves. I wonder what we look like from the 5th dimension...?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avarus
We're really just 3-dimensional projections of our 4th dimensional selves. I wonder what we look like from the 5th dimension...?

The descriptive equations are not finalized yet, so there are options to our 5th dimensional image. Here are a few:

1) Pensive
www.irtc.org...

2) Relaxed
www.art.net...

3) Apprehensive
www.studioworx.com...

4) Impatient
www.designer-lights.com...

5) On the way back to 3D
www.isy.liu.se...

[edit on 3/22/2009 by stander]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

The descriptive equations are not finalized yet ...

Well, actually they are -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c830ad5f2978.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure TIME TRAVEL is possible, and that sooner or later people will be able to travel in time; past and future.

It seems to me that time is like a WAVE on an oscilligraph, it can be stretched out or it can be scrunched up. If the time wave can be scrunched up, then we could step back into the past.

If the time wave can be stretched out, then we could step out into the future. Simply by being able to move the TIME WAVE forward or backward TIME TRAVEL would be possible.

Nikola Tesla did some work in this field, and a navy ship and some of its occupants moved in time and space supposedly.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
What good would it do, people now have no idea of the major events
that went down 100 years ago that have shaped our time and future.

Going back will not change anything.
Unless all the conspiracy theory people are time travelers and
that's how they know what happened to people like Tesla.

But that hasn't changed anything either.
The great scientific discoveries of Tesla remain in the hands of the
corporate state.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I AGREE with gojo65, who said he disagrees with someone who says things are impossible. I personally believe that nothing is impossible, in this universe. I found this link, which displays just about all the really dumb predictions made by otherwise smart people. Here is an example. Supposedly, Albert Einstein said, "There is not the slightest indication that [nuclear energy] will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." - 1932.
This link is a list of, the "It can't be done" and the "Thats impossible" type of declarations.
www.null-hypothesis.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Impossible or not, space and time travel, SiFi and the like, is
big business in movies, books, news and internet.

The theoretical ideas are vast and so is the money.
Its the golden goose that can't be attained yet
entertains and can't lay anything technical worth while
to sneeze at.

So soon we shall see pay dirt on earth with our theories.
Still the insurance business has always been very good as
the AIG debacle has just reminded me.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Time Travel

The root of all time stems from a locked position to the next, what happens when time is not locked and the only position that can be honed in on is the direct moment.

When traveling outside of Earth would you have the same feeling of time, or would you experience something else?

If time is a thing then it can definatley be manipulated and if time is a thoughtform then it definately can be downloaded into the stem of consciousness.

So the question to those would be what types of things can you perform outside of time?

What things are needed to stabilize time in a given area or is time only the distance between the persons state of being/density in a given field of energy.

Energy seems to be the key component to stabilize life. Perhaps if life is a field of imagination, then the outer world reflects the inside creator morphing the world around us.

So maybe on one planet where one can't do things that are considered to be normal on another planet they could do unimaginable things, things that dreams are made of.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by menguard]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
reply to post by stander

The descriptive equations are not finalized yet ...

Well, actually they are -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c830ad5f2978.jpg[/atsimg]

That's not an equation that deal with 5D, as you can see from the product symbol tucked between the integration symbols. It has lower limit 1 and upper limit 11. The tensor multiple integral equation is proposing the existence of the 11th dimension -- it's a theory with no chance for some physical evidence to support it, unless the physicists travel back in time to the Big Bang times by recreating some components of it.
blog.wired.com...

U2U the equation to Obsidience, coz the last integrand is partly composed of 2pi*r, which computes the circumference of a circle. Obsidience can speculate on the nature of pi in such a way that it would make Stephen Hawking feel inadequate enough to call it quits.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I post this video every time time travel comes up. It is still relevant and i am very surprised no one has commented on it yet... Ever.... I figured this would spark a discussion.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

That individual explained the concept of his experiment in very vague terms to send him a financial contribution to build his "time machine." Maybe he is competent enough to discover some useful or intriguing byproduct while experimenting . . .

Take this into the realm of science fiction: Some fifty years from now, there is a very sophisticated laser experiment, first of its kind, going on in some university lab -- an experiment that got nothing to do with time travel. By some coincidence, one of the researchers goes to the archives to find some article dealing with a related subject and comes across a report dated fifty years back saying that a person on the university campus was burned on his legs by a beam of light that came out of nowhere. The description of the beam fit the characteristic of the beams generated during the experiment.

The researcher realizes that he can travel into the future by looking for similar reports from the past. If there were further occurrences of mystery light beams reported, that means he and his colleagues will be experimenting further under the same condition. But he couldn't find any other report of mysterious beams of light reported. It meant that his lab won't be able to repeat the experiment for some reason and it turned out to be true: a freak accident damaged a part of the laser assembly worth of eight hundred million dollars and the university didn't intend to buy a new one for lack of funds.

Are the lights attributed to the UFO activity actually laser beams from our own tech-advanced future sent to the past?

Our progeny would have to think how to avoid their activity being mistaken for an alien activity. This is what I would do: Sending message from the future to the past looks like this:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I always wondered where we would be if tenants from 100,000 yrs. in the future went back in time to mate with, and pass technology to, tenants in the far past. In theory, they could dodge several hundred thousand years of evolution with each jump. Also technology should run rampant.

Assuming the techology left behind is improved upon, every jump back (from a fixed point in the far future) should make future toys that much more funner and cheaper.

Of course, it does open that old "pandora's box" of me becoming my own ancestor from somewhere.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
but lets say for the sake of argument we were sophisticated enough to achieve time travel from a physics standpoint, i would have to say we would be prepared for this type of thing. The time travel vessel would double as a transport.

The movements of the celestial bodies is well. . . irrelevant.

Also the device would still be in the correct coordinates when you arrived back in time the earth of the moment you traveled to would carry the time travel device with it so you would "materialize" in the time travel device on earth in the exact same place it was at the time you designated to travel to

im going to go with ron mallet frank tippler and many other physicists and say that at some point in human civ man will be able to time travel

[edit on 27-3-2009 by constantwonder]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I like talking about time travel, it's a fun discussion.

Perhaps you are correct to say that if we moved back in time even 1 second, the earth, galaxy, and universe travel at tremendous speeds and we would pop up in the vacuum of space and die.

But think for a moment that for whatever reason when we travel in time, we travel with the earth.

I always thought it was interesting to think about what would happen in certain situations.

For example, say you traveled back in time, does your instance of travel get saved, or is it simply 1 instance? Like, if you traveled back several years and arrived at 12:00 noon, and stayed until 12:10, then traveled forward in time several years, then traveled back to the same year, at 11:59 to the same place. Would you see yourself appear in 1 minute, then disappear 10 minutes later...and would this continue for infinity? Or do you think that all of your movements are not recorded in time., since you are moving around...it's just one instance of you, not several?

If you traveled back in time with the intention to change something. Would you be able to do it, or would the universe somehow figure out away to thwart your efforts to end up with the same outcome that has already occurred? For some reason, I don't think that you are able to change what has already occurred. I think if you are able to travel in time, you would simply be an observer, unable to change the outcome of events. Of course people would be able to see you and interact, etc but you are not able to affect what has already happened.

I'm not sure if I think time travel is possible. But there must be a way to travel vast distances in a relatively short time. As I believe that aliens exist, and they have been to our planet. How did they get here? I don't know how their bodies work, or how long they live. But if it takes us 8 months just to fly to Mars, imagine how long it would take for them to arrive here, and how do they even know we exist?

Think about this, the majority of light we see in the sky from stars, is light that has been traveling 10's of millions, maybe even billions of light years to arrive here. Those stars may not even exist by the time that light gets here. How crazy is that?

I believe there must be a way to bend time as we know it. Manipulate it in some way to travel vast distances. If this is not the case, there is really no way we are going to be able to travel anywhere significant in this universe, or make any kind of notable discovery.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Lol! Of course going back in time is impossible. It's an exercise in meaninglessness! Who says time is something that you "can travel" anyways? Time is simple: it is change; nothing more and nothing less. You can have more change (like time "speeds" up), less change (like time "slows" down), or no change (like time stays "still"), but you can't have negative change. I hope that clears things up. Also, even if the "super string" theory of "alternate universes" is correct (which I HIGHLY doubt) you would still NOT be traveling to the past through time; instead, you would be traveling to alternate universes. Also, c is the universal speed limit...it is the speed of time! Once you reach c you will have used up all of your available time in the universe!

BTW (referring to jasonjnelson's 1st post), your entire premise is logically incorrect. You say that if one traveled back in time 1 year that one would arrive in the vacuum of space because the earth moves, the solar system moves, etc, etc. However, what you have effectively done is not actually traveled back in time but instead have traveled a distance to the place that the earth was a year ago. No time traveling was done because if you had time traveled, then you would be on earth because the earth WAS there at that point in time. Anyways, it's all nonsense cause it's not possible.

Cheers!

[edit on 3-4-2009 by tBoonePickens]

[edit on 3-4-2009 by tBoonePickens]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join