It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat shaming by way of bus stops

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Located in the Netherlands, Fitness First took it upon themselves to use a different approach to marketing their clubs - public shaming. When someone sits on a bench to rest while waiting for the bus, the ad literally shows the person's weight in red numbers for the world to see.

www.feministing.com...

Don’t we already have enough young girls starving themselves, and purging to try and match the photoshopped images in popular magazine without reaffirming their fears of unacceptability by publicly announcing to the world that they don’t measure up? The diet and exercise industry could care less about the emotional trauma that they create because their end goal is always profit. In these industries we can see the prefect connection of patriarchy and capitalism and the ways in which they collude to not only keep women poor but enforce a constant need to conform to the male gaze.

www.womanist-musings.com...

This is absolutely terrible. While I believe obesity is an epidemic (worldwide!), this is psychologically harmful.

I've been through anorexia my whole life, and were I to sit down and see my weight displayed, I would immediately begin sobbing. There are so many women who are as emotional about their weight as me, and some much more so.

This isn't helpful, it doesn't spur one to be healthy- it spurs one to think the world is out to get you, that the world won't accept you for your weight- no matter what that weight may be.

This is also harmful to men, don't get me wrong. Men also have immense pressure to be a certain way, to be muscular and "manly". It's an absolute travesty for everyone, thin or fat, man or woman.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What stops a man sitting on the bench and being shamed with his weight? Or, somehow, doesn't that matter? I'm not sure why this is an issue about women.

Whilst I certainly agree that there is pressure placed on women to conform, to look a certain way and so on, it's not a gender thing - or at least not as clear cut as some women would like to imagine. It's not as if women are forced to conform to a template envisioned by heterosexual males. Women are their own biggest critics, or rather other women are their biggest critics and it's hardly a secret that so much of women's fashion is designed by either women or gay men.

What's seen as attractive or acceptable to men, regarding a woman's shape, is far wider a definition than many women understand or accept. Very, very few men really want a 'Size Zero' body frame. For many men, that's too skinny or not attractive if it means constant diets and the neurosis and obsession that goes with constant dieting to maintain a body shape that's unnatural to that person. Generally, most men prefer a body type that's perhaps a little heavier than many women realise.

Also, it's not as if there's not pressure on men to conform either regarding body image. Short men, fat men, men without prominent musculature, bald men &c. all fall short of what society sees as acceptable or desirable in men by their peers, and by women and society in general.

Also, over the years I've seen a certain amount of reappraisal for heavier and curvier women. This is given certain weight with the use of particular phrases such as 'more womanly'. Think of this when applied to men. Would a heavier or chubbier man be described as more manly? No, of course not. Think of terms like 'Rubinesque'; the curves of a woman equated with fine art. Is there an equivalent for men? No, of course not. I really can't think of a term used to describe heavier, chunkier or fatter men in a positive light.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

You're right, and it was extremely foolish of me to see this from only a woman's perspective. It's what happens, since I've only ever been a woman.

This is a travesty for everyone, men and women. It's harmful to everyone.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
this is just a way to upset people in the hope that they will splurge on gym membership that the gym hope they will never actually use. the idea that the transport athoroty would allow this is sickening.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

I like this idea.

Everyone should be at a healthy weight. Do whats best for yourself and those around you or just die already.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

You're pretty much a terrible person.

For a lot of people, hating yourself makes you eat more. So this? This helps NOTHING.

Better health education and a wider availability of cheaper, healthy, delicious foods will help slim people, not shaming them into oblivion.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
If you hate yourself then you are ignorant.

What should be done about that ignorance? Would anyone here like to be educated as to why you should not hate yourself?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Take away the Spoons, Ice cream and Donuts maybe we won't have the obecesity epidemic.
The same as taking away guns will stop crime

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

what's a healthy weight?
weight is no indication of health, weight is an indication of.......eh....weight.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is the truth.

Its like crying over somone saying the earth isnt the center of the universe.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I like this idea and think they should make these all over the place. Weight is just that, weight. People need to get over this being such a big secret factor they should be ashamed of. If you are ashamed of it then its not the number its how you look and are probably pretty unhealthy as it is. I'm tired of paying more and more money for health insurance because a bunch of overweight people can't take care of themselves and have no self control so they end up having more health issues.

I think it was in the UK that they just had a story of a family of 4 complaining they needed more money from the state because they were too fat to work and the money they got because of it barely covered shelter, clothing and food on the table. The mom and dad were each over 300 lbs and the 19 and 21 year old daughters were like 250 each. In previous times if they were too fat to do anything they would not be getting money for it and would end up losing weight because they couldn't afford not to. Maybe they should not spend as much money on food.

Sure you can call me a jerk for being insensitive but people need to stop being fat lazy slobs. Society also needs to get over this issues around how much somebody weighs and start to worry about how healthy and active they are instead.

Yes I know some people can't help it and have medical issues, I have a friend that has always been very active but has always been overweight.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman
a wider availability of cheaper, healthy, delicious foods will help slim people, not shaming them into oblivion.

Obesity is a major problem in the USA, where cheap, healthy, delicious food is in utter abundance. I'm not sure how this relates at all!

Seriously, yesterday I bought four HUGE oranges for $1, that's four healthy snacks for the price of a cup of coffee.

My freezer is stuffed FULL of bags of frozen vegetables of every kind, all for $1 or less each. Stir fry with a healthy oil and rice, I would call that cheap, healthy, and delicious.

It's more about people being over indulgent babies who can't control themselves than anything else. Self empowerment and change require strength, and some people just do not have enough.

Until this pathetic crutch of "It's too expensive to eat healthy!" is fully exposed as the foul, backwards lie that it is, people will keep regurgitating this nonsense and expect people to believe it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Food is only part of the health equation. Exercising is a major part. Just because you eat your "rice-cakes" or "soy-cakes" isn't going to make you healthier.
I say kudos to the advertising scheme. May not be the best way to get someone into the gym, but hey its a start. Laziness is no excuse for obesity. And that is all it is. Pure laziness to not go out and "take a hike" or go to the park and "fly a kite" Instead it is better to moan and complain that society is at fault for me feeling bad about myself....please.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by maus80

A bag of chips is cheaper than a healthy meal, and there's way more fast food crap than health food stores. You have no clue how so very wrong you are.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Nobody is forcing the people to sit on the humilation bench, are they? If I didn't want my weight displayed I'd simply stand. Or I'd sit there with my middle finger pointed toward the heavens in the event that anyone wondered if I cared about what they thought of the numbers above my head.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Seeker Mom

What about those who don't realize until they see people snickering and pointing at the sign?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The thing I don't like about the bus-bench-poundage bit, is not the fat-shaming aspect, but the lack of everybody-minding-their-own business aspect.
They the bus-bench-busybodies take it upon themselves to let me know that I'm fat or may be fat (did I ask them if I was fat? nope, nope)...It kinda makes me want to take it upon myself to subject such types to a little unrequested helpful criticism in return...something like "People who have to bug others "for their own good" in order to somehow advance themselves are a no-class drag"...know what I mean?-"Get a life" and "Who the hell asked you?"

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Who friggin cares how much I weigh? You don't want people to know how much you weigh, don't sit on the damn bench!
And to anyone who thinks I should weigh so many pounds, get stuffed because you have your own crappulence to deal with.
The act of injecting your opinions into my life only affects me if I allow it.
Now, lemme eat me damn McDonalds in peace! You go nuts with your tofu!

(Rant not aimed at anyone in this thread, just in general.)

Cuhail

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join