It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Gets 20 Weeks In Jail For Whistling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
www.clumsycrooks.com...

A Wingerworth, England, man has been sentenced to 20 weeks in prison after he repeatedly whistled the theme to "The Addams Family" TV show at his neighbors.

Leopold Wrobel, 51, was convicted of violating an antisocial behavior order directing him to cease whistling the tune at neighbors Michael and Kathleen Sharpe. Magistrates at a Chesterfield, England, court also found him guilty of two counts of harassment, The Daily Telegraph reported Friday.

No reason to have a right to whistle. Free speech or other too I guess.
20 weeks seems harsh, He must live next to Gomez and Morticia

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Are you kidding me?
Geeeez that is just incredibly stupid. I'm never going to get to visit the UK apparently

So if you whistle too much it's considered "anti-social", that's a laugh riot!!!! The world is going to hell in a handbasket.
I would totally get arrested for singing Journey if I lived in the UK. Just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely.....*SLAM* Into the gulag!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I wonder how often he did it? Could you imagine your neighbor day after day after day whistling at you every time you were in earshot of each other?

I mean it would get rather annoying right?

What can you do however? I mean he does have the right to free speech but at the same time his neighbors have the right to not be harrased.

Could have been worse, they could have cut his tongue out. I mean c'mon. If you had a neighbor who was that annoying wouldnt you want someone to shut him up?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Can you imagine living day after day next door to a family that resembled the Addams Family? While I personally would think it would be cool, I know that I would have to whistle or sing it to them at least once. Ok, maybe more than once. But keep in mind that it may have been a traumatic experience for the "Whistler" & maybe he was just venting.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

In reality, if the neighbors worked out their differences or just leaft each other alone, it wouldn't come to this.
With that said, I still believe it takes two and there should be no infringement on the whistler to whislte.

If it was amplified, and ordinances specified a DB level, that would be good as well.

Here, I.ve had that issue a few times, and most of the ordinances do not specify a volume, and even if there was, where is the reading peramiter? edge of property? from the sidewalk?
iidiosyncrasies clashing.

It's like naming a lake this:
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.

But this should be a civil matter more than him being incarcerated.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
When you think what my neighbours have done to me and they get away with it, and this guy gets 20 weeks in prison for whisteling.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I wonder how often he did it? Could you imagine your neighbor day after day after day whistling at you every time you were in earshot of each other?

I mean it would get rather annoying right?

What can you do however? I mean he does have the right to free speech but at the same time his neighbors have the right to not be harrased.

Could have been worse, they could have cut his tongue out. I mean c'mon. If you had a neighbor who was that annoying wouldnt you want someone to shut him up?

You make a good point. People do have the right to not be harassed, but is whistling really harassment? From my perspective it is like two small children who are trying to annoy each other. Like one child holds his fingers in the face of the other and says, "Im not touching you!" I mean really grow up! I am disappointed that any court wasted it's time and resources to even hear this case. I am disappointed that two grown adults can't simply leave each other alone or ignore each other. What disappoints me the most however is that someone in this world is such a wuss that he actually called the police and said, H"e keeps whistling at me! Do something!"

Seriously, if someone whistling at you is the worst thing that happens to you in the course of your lifetime... you do not have much to complain about.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

but what constitutes free speech and what constitutes harrasment?

If I say to a woman that she looks pretty once, that is free speech, if I follow her arround and tell her over and over again that she looks pretty thats harrasment.

What if this guy did it day in and day out for months? Wouldn't that get annoying?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

If I say to a woman that she looks pretty once, that is free speech, if I follow her arround and tell her over and over again that she looks pretty thats harrasment.

What if this guy did it day in and day out for months? Wouldn't that get annoying?

Of course it may... but as a grown up your going to tell me that you can not rise above it? Your going to tell me that as a adult male it is going to be so stressful for you that you would have to call the police to come handle it? The police should be dealing with murders, rapist, etc etc. Not some out of control WHISTLER.

Seriously... this one is very simple. It is so idiotic it should NOT be taking up the time of a court that should be doing other things. Your gonna tell me that Law and Government has nothing better to do that worry about some immature moron who is whistling the Adam's Family?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Yeah, I think this is probably the case. I mean, how many times would one have to politely ask you not to whistle before they felt the need to seek legal recourse? I think he must have been doing it as a sort of insult, or at least to the point where it was perceived as purposeful harassment.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The guy was obviously being abusive and a *$&%£ at the same time.
I mean, come on..we all know what he's getting at in a totally underhand cowardly way...that he thought they were freaks/weirdos/whatever.

People like this bug me no end.
If someone has something to say I would rather they were direct and up front..and face the consequences like an adult.

I've had neighbors like that..insult you behind your back,but they would be the first to run to the cops if you knocked them out for their troubles.

He got the sentence for breaching his anti-social behavior order..So knew what was going on.

Whistle now you moron.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think it's ridiculous personally.
As someone stated earlier, perhaps breach the subject and ask the guy to stop it.

Or do what I would do, take it a little further and start humming big-top music at him while dancing around and making funny faces!!!!
Anything you can do, I can do better.....and far more annoyingly!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Maybe he was sent to prison because it was out of tune.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

couldnt agree more, ive had a neighbour like this guy in the past and he was obviously thinking he was clever by having his fun at their expense but hiding behind an "innocent" cheery whistle - Complete t*sser.
Deserves it - just glad the victims were believed because i lived on my own and i wasnt which just made it worse when i tried to do something about it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

Good point,probably a little more subtle than just breaking his jaw.

Tape him whistling it, loop it,and hook it up to my spare 8,000 watt P.A system,leave on play next to his bedroom wall and go out for the night.

EDIT for punctuation and to clarify.. Yeah I AM in a bad mood.. throat infection. yukkk. ptooooey!!

[edit on 20-3-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

and let him know how much it gets to you ? - just makes the bullying become more purposefull and will eventually snowball into a situation neither wants.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

LOL, now that is the spirit!
I had a neighbor at my last place in downtown Phoenix....the Mexican neighbors would start blaring their fiesta-style music, complete with bumpin' bass, EVERY day of the weekend. Well my neighbor got sick of not being able to jam his own tunes at a reasonable volume, so he hooked up 4 semi-truck airhorns. The first time they started bumping after that, he let rip one of the loudest sounds i've ever personally heard. Needless to say they chilled out

I personally am goofy as hell, so if my neighbor were whistling and trying to p*ss me off, I would just act like more of an ass then him and try to flip it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

Good point,probably a little more subtle than just breaking his jaw.

Tape him whistling it loop it,and hook it up to my spare 8,000 watt P.A system,leave on play next to his bedroom wall and go out for the night.

No way
- you have just said exactly what i did to get back at my neighbour, not whistling but rage against the machines "f--k you i wont do what you tell me" from 11pm til 6am on a 2k rig against his bedroom wall
- only prob was that he turned it on me to make me look the nuscance neighbour.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

It depends on your approach to the goofy rebuttal!
I would dance around and make hooting noises while making the most ridiculous faces imaginable....but all with a smile! This method is sure to get under almost anyone's skin

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Or wander around his property while he was having a garden party..

In a kilt with no undies and start talking about how ..

"it looks like the wind is getting up," and

"When is your Grandmother arriving?"

Hehehe!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join