It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Apologizes to Special Olympics for Bowling Joke

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
How many of you remember this story from 2004?

Which resulted in a statement from the Special Olympics Commitee.

Special Olympics Statement

We at Special Olympics are astounded and appalled by a political flyer being distributed in Tennessee, showing the head of President Bush superimposed on the body of a Special Olympics athlete, saying, "Even if you win, you're still retarded."

We cringe at the thought that any one of these capable and courageous athletes would ever have to endure the agony, embarrassment, pain and suffering that this flyer would certainly cause.

Sadly, this type of ignorance and bigotry is not uncommon. Comedians in the United States regularly mock people with intellectual disabilities; a common playground taunt even today is “retard”; people with intellectual disability remain the last to be respected or included in our schools, health care institutions, and society at large.

Can we expect a similar type statement as a result of this insensetive Obama gaffe?
Probably not because his people are probably trying to bury this story and make it go away.

Well not so fast, because now a Special Olympics bowler wants to meet Obama in the alley.

Special Olympics bowler: I can beat Obama

This would make for a great Pay Per View event.

Will Obama accept the challenge?
Hail Nah!

Probably because he is too busy meeting with people that would much rather kill us.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Imus makes a joke with a racist overtone and gets fired.

Obama makes a joke at the expense of disabled people and gets to go bowling with them.

What a fair and equitable society we live in.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
If I even hear Limbaugh or a Limbaugh fan complain about this, I swear to God my head will explode.

This is what Limbaugh had to say about the issue:

"We live in a world in which we are told that the American left are the compassionate ones, that they're the ones who care about the downtrodden and the little guy -- when in fact they make fun of them and use them for their own advantage."

"So Obama makes a joke making fun of disabled people, apologizes for it, and everybody accepts it: 'Ah, teachable moment, because we all know he really didn't mean it.' Sorry. He did mean it. You can tell what's in people's hearts when they're not on the teleprompter."

As usual Rush nails it!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Just glad he didn't get upset about it. He can make up his little liberal fantasy lies all he wants, where it is all a big conspiracy against him or whatever. I expect that. He's crazy, and many of his fans are. I know this.

I just didn't want to hear them act like it hurt their feelings. Glad to hear that didn't happen.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Just shows how he really feels, like the bible and guns comment he made

Interesting observation.
Obama must have something against intellectually challenged people.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Obama: sorry joe gave me the joke

Joe Biden:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I'm stepping on eggshells trying to cater to a certain group, pretending to actually care, so that they will like me more. Especially next time I plan on running for office.

It is no wonder our elected officials are so fake. They can lie through their teeth and have the intent of Hannibal Lector, so long as they put it in a polite way and keep a plastic face on while they do it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

I actually giggled a little bit when I read this. Obama FTW! Just don't let him get on your bowling team. I bet if this had never never been reported to the media or said on TV then this would effect absolutely zero people. Everyday Americans would go on with their life and it would be as if it never happened. But wait! ZOMGWTFBBQ! THIS IS A BIG DEAL HURRRRRR!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtard
reply to post by Swatman

I actually giggled a little bit when I read this. Obama FTW! Just don't let him get on your bowling team. I bet if this had never never been reported to the media or said on TV then this would effect absolutely zero people. Everyday Americans would go on with their life and it would be as if it never happened. But wait! ZOMGWTFBBQ! THIS IS A BIG DEAL HURRRRRR!

it is a big deal because as i said, if a republican said it, fire would shoot out of keith olbermann's mouth

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

Well maybe if we make enough angry posts online complaining about "well if (x) said (x) then" the mainstream media will pick it up and run with it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

Aw, the big bad media being bias? Should I grab you a tissue to wipe the tears from your eyes? If you are going to cry about it, you should at least have a goal to achieve by doing it.

Think some Obama supporter is going to stumble across this thread, your post, and suddenly go "My god, he is right! This whole time the media has just duped me into believing that republicans are bad and democrats are good. My whole political thought process up to now has been one big lie! I'm voting republican next election!"

Yeah, not going to happen. So certain people in the media are being bias. What section of the legal code is that breaking? Where was the big bad bias media when Bush was calling for war back in 02? Oh, that's right, those big bad liberals were too busy waving flags from every limb they had, oozing nationalism from every orifice, and pushing the words "Patriot" and "Freedom" through every crack between their teeth.

The media has an agenda, don't go crying about it every time it isn't in line with YOUR agenda.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It was a thoughtless, insensitive statement for which the man apologized before the show even aired.

It's was an unfortunate statement, but the future of the free world doesn't hang in the balance as a result of the incident.

The real issues are the economy, the war, and international relations.

These are the issues we should be concerned with, not a stupid, off-the-cuff remark on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think people need to calm down on this issue. it's not a big deal at all. Im not an obama supporter but he was just making a joke. we all make worse jokes about certain people everyday of our lives. Because hes our president and on tv its a big deal to whine about it for the next week? no thats just retarded. Are we so bored nowadays that all we can do is whine and cry about what is going on in the news?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Please let it be the current crisis we are in for the over sensitivity that's taken over our country. People are taking this way to seriously and we are in trouble for it. The truth is comparing his bowling to the Special Olympics is an understatement, hes much more horrible. How many of you watched the movie "The Ringer"? Yeah the one about the guy who acts challenged to qualify for the Special Olympics. It was a comedy and everybody laughed and went on living their normal lives. The President made a joke its over let it go. People can't even compare this joke to anything Bush ever said. George Bush had calenders made dedicated to "Bushisms". With 365 days in a calender year that's a lot retard if you ask me. We should concentrate and use our energy on things more meaningful like the year 2012. Or I don't know, the economy!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
everyone is scared as being labeled as racist for saying anything negitive about Obama, I cant count how many times when discussing issues with Obama suporters Beofre the election they claimed I was only agianst him because I'm a bigot, like there where not other reasons like his SH@t dont stink one bit!

Any Tv personality that says somthing Negitive about Obama will have the NAACP, Rev, jackson and Al sharpton all over there rears and they know it and so does everyone else!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Funny, I was watching this when it aired and the second I heard him go there, I cringed and knew there would be something further about that statement. To easy to spot.

He kept going inside, but I know inside he was thinking damage control.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Verd_Vhett

That's ridiculous. Maybe by the extreme left, but why would you care what they think anyway? That's like me giving a damn what Limbaugh and his fans think of me.

Not worth it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join