It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Apologizes to Special Olympics for Bowling Joke

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If a person that was white made a black joke, he would be called racist. You people would say that was his mindset. Get it you people supporting obama, the joke projects out what his bias is and his mindset.

He clearly is an elitest, you blind people, can stay asleep if you want. How can obama ever live down laughing at poor spastic people. Sickooos.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
reply to post by amazed

Retarded is defined as disabled. Therefore, they ARE retarded. Live with it. Sorry but PC land is temporarily disabled, if you catch my drift.

Wiki, not the best but has up to date info in regards to this issue.

The term "mental retardation" is a diagnostic term designed to capture and standardize a group of disconnected categories of mental functioning such as "idiot", "imbecile", and "moron" derived from early IQ tests, which acquired pejorative connotations in popular discourse over time. The term "mental retardation" has itself now acquired some pejorative and shameful connotations over the last few decades due to the use of "retarded" as an insult. This may in turn have contributed to its replacement with expressions such as "mentally challenged" or "intellectual disability".

In North America mental retardation is subsumed into the broader term developmental disability, which also includes epilepsy, autism, cerebral palsy and other disorders that develop during the developmental period (birth to age 18.)

Yes, some people still use the term, but as someone who has worked in the field with developmentally disabled persons (a private care home, and as a foster parent to developmentally disabled), I NEVER heard anyone use the term retarded, and the term "developmental disabled" is used instead.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
He clearly is an elitest, you blind people, can stay asleep if you want. How can obama ever live down laughing at poor spastic people. Sickooos.

Ummmm, He's a politician buddy. It goes with the job.

That is to say I've never met a politician that wasn't elitist.

He admitted his mistake and apologized without anyone requesting him to. Which is more than I can say for most presidents.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I don't watch television so was curious what the fuss was about in the News.

So the President of the US is guest on some lame comedian's talk show with and makes a scripted quip.

It's big news and now people are at home are furiously typing away their righteous indignant opinions on the appropriateness, what kind of guy he really is, etc.

No wonder the US is a mess. Real issues and blame being thrown out at everybody. But maybe it's actually the populace at large who are responsible for the problems. Forget about reality until it hits you in the face. Dumbed down and programmed so much, a less than perfectly intoned throwaway one liner by the Pres becomes an event.

The crooks who run the country have been handed control on a platter. The citizens are busy frittering their time away on packaged distractions gossiping and squabbling about trivia.

Mike F

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Wow dude , you need to relax

you dont like the topic , dont post

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael
I don't watch television so was curious what the fuss was about in the News.

So the President of the US is guest on some lame comedian's talk show with and makes a scripted quip.

It's big news and now people are at home are furiously typing away their righteous indignant opinions on the appropriateness, what kind of guy he really is, etc.

No wonder the US is a mess.

Great post.

And you're completely right.

While wars were being waged over the past decade without justification, and rights/freedoms were being signed away, the constitution being disgraced, what were the citizens of the US doing?

They weren't demanding justification or action... no, they were all talking about how the president choked on a pretzel, can't ride a bike, can't speak properly, and Britney Spears.

As you said, no wonder the US is a mess.

Thank the odds I'm not there.
I get politically motivated, if I was in the US, I'd have more than just 2 ulcers.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

i think you are wrong, myself and others i associate with expect alot of slip-ups from zero, what i dont expect is for him to openly insult those that cant help their condition. but be my guest and keep on defending the dude.

i honestly believe that you saw breifly into who he REALLY is, a shallow, heartless, spineless excuse for a man, one who cant even compete straight up, with no tricks or technicalities to use in place of an honest effort in competition.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by Irish M1ck

He can have a sense of humor, but not at the expense of others.....especially handicapped people. It was just in bad taste.

JMO....

It was a stab at HIMSELF. He was making fun of HIS own bowling abilities. He didnt say that he hated people with disabilites. He was saying that he is worse at bowling than most people.

Poor choice if words? Mabye. Stab at disabled people or the special olympics? No. Stab at himself and his being a bad bowler? Yes.

It was on a comedy show and he was trying to be humorous. He failed because of the over sensitivness that our whole world seems to suffer from. get over it people. It was a poorly worded stab at himself.

It is no worse than me saying, I am bad at math, I must be stupid.

Stupid is defined as the inability to learn. Many people with mental disabilities do have an inability to learn. Am I a bad person because I called myself stupid now? I dont think so.

For those of you who claim this has not been getting coverage. It HAS. it has been all over the news.

www.cnn.com...
www.foxnews.com...
nbcsports.msnbc.com...
news.yahoo.com...
abcnews.go.com...
media.nationalreview.com...
news.aol.com...
www.telegraph.co.uk... .html
gawker.com...
www.americanthinker.com...
newsbusters.org...

These are JUST A FEW of the news articles about it. Still think it isnt getting any attention? Also watch the news tonight. I garuntee it will be talked about on every news program atleast once.

Obama was indicating that he was, in a sense, unintelligent or stupid for being unable to bowl. He was insulting himself, and no one else.

Poorly worded? Mabye? Stab at anyone but himself? No.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Keeps us distracted. I'm sure we can count on an endless supply of petty controversies.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

I think this whole thing is... what's the word... stupid!

O snap, did I just insult stupid people?
Of course not! I insulted how stupid politics has become and the fact that people will look for anything to criticize another with.

Obama wasn't insulting handicapped people (though it's clear some people thought so), he was insulting his own bowling abilities (which by the way is the oldest trick in the book to get people to trust you - insult yourself).

Don't get me wrong, he shouldn't have made that comment, but it's NOT because it's offensive - it's because so many people would take it as offensive in our politically correct world.

Obama isn't the evil in this story, it's the people who really don't give a damn about special people but are just using this as a weapon against Obama - people who look for others to make a slip of the tongue and then use it against them and never forget it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The only thing I've got to add is this:

How many times have you been around teenagers and heard them say, "That's retarded!" or "You're retarded." or "Stop being retarded."

I swear they say it so off handedly! They aren't meaning to hurt anyone's feelings when they say it, its just something that comes out.

Now, that being said, we are talking about The President of the United States here and maybe, just maybe, he ought to be more aware of who his is when speaking.

Everything about him will be analyzed to the nth degree. He, of course, knows this. Dang! What a retard!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
At least we can add another president that transimits american cr=p around the world. We have american president laughing at spastic people, and you think thats ok, but heck at least most people around the world will just see another sicko in power, showing his personal bias and love of eing an elite.

Look obama someone has no legs, go and laugh at him, with all the other stupid americans. It is amazing that if a white person says a black joke, they are labeled a racist for life and killed maye, but heck a president can laugh at poor spastic people and now he is great and all.

Sicko america strikes again.....

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Obama is the first sitting POTUS to make an appearance on a National comedy show. All eyes were on him and he comes up with this BS out of his mouth.

Here is the problem... He had no teleprompter. What a jackass. This statement goes hand in hand with the box set of DVD's he gave to PM Brown and the people of the UK. The man simply has no class. He would rather be cool than classy and dignified.

edit to add.

In the spirit of Obama's statement I would like to see him travel back to DC in a "shortbus" version of Air Force One.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by jibeho]

And did you know that the DVDs he so "thoughtfully" gave to Brown aren't even the right format? They won't even work in England!

Slowly but surely Americans are shaking off the hangover from the Obama Kool-Aid and will soon come to the sad realization that as bad as Bush was made out to be, Obama is 100X worse.

It's Ok, liberals. You can stop pretending that Obama has a clue about how to be President. Your emperor has no clothes, which we tried to tell you before you even pulled that lever.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This whole thing is very silly and trivial.

It's more interesting that humans invest so much energy and anger into this at all.

Goodness, where are our priorities?

We know obama is a very dishonest man, not only this should this not be surprising, but it shouldn't even matter.

I am shocked at how many different ways they find to divide people..and that it even works.

EDIT: I need to make it very clear that I am not endorsing his statement, I am simply pointing out the needless focus and attention that goes into these things.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Asmus]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthParadox
reply to post by Swatman

I think this whole thing is... what's the word... stupid!

O snap, did I just insult stupid people?
Of course not! I insulted how stupid politics has become and the fact that people will look for anything to criticize another with.

Obama wasn't insulting handicapped people (though it's clear some people thought so), he was insulting his own bowling abilities (which by the way is the oldest trick in the book to get people to trust you - insult yourself).

Don't get me wrong, he shouldn't have made that comment, but it's NOT because it's offensive - it's because so many people would take it as offensive in our politically correct world.

Obama isn't the evil in this story, it's the people who really don't give a damn about special people but are just using this as a weapon against Obama - people who look for others to make a slip of the tongue and then use it against them and never forget it.

Huh? Of course, Obama was insulting handicapped people. Please, put the KoolAid down and slowly back away. Yes, he was insulting his own bowling by comparing it to "Special Olympics" bowling. In other words, he was saying that his bowling really, really stinks - just like Special Olympics bowling. Can you take off your Obama blinders long enough to come to grips with that?

What this clown evidently doesn't know is that plenty of Special Olympics bowlers could blow him out of the alley.

But, it's "OK" for Obama to make fun of himself at the expense of handicapped people because he's a liberal and we "know" that liberals "care" more than conservatives, so all insults, slights, flubs, and just plain ignorance will be forgiven.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

I didn't get upset about it. Mainly because i might have made the same kinda comment - not that I'm dissing the disabled, but that I relate - visually - to the statement, and its funny.

I hate all the apologizing myself. Someone's always gonna get pissed about something.

But as to Special Olympics - it won't be long with science advancement, robotics and prosthetics, that they will be more interesting to watch than the regular ones.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
This man has class, brains, and cajones. Next subject.

By this very joke he shows none of those atributes.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Wow. Compared to Obama's score, my bowling average is REALLY like something out of the Special Olympics.

I'm amazed at how touchy Americans can be...how uptight. You'd think his nipple was exposed at a football game or something, judging by some of the anger and hatred here.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GLDNGUN
Of course, Obama was insulting handicapped people.

Yes, he was insulting his own bowling by comparing it to "Special Olympics" bowling. In other words, he was saying that his bowling really, really stinks - just like Special Olympics bowling.

Yes, this is right on. His mouth ran faster than his mind realized. It was right for him to apologize and wrong for him to ever think it in the first place.

What this clown evidently doesn't know is that plenty of Special Olympics bowlers could blow him out of the alley.

He was trying to be a clown and fell short by a mile. He needs to stick to his job in the same way our bosses make us stick to ours.

But, it's "OK" for Obama to make fun of himself at the expense of handicapped people because he's a liberal and we "know" that liberals "care" more than conservatives, so all insults, slights, flubs, and just plain ignorance will be forgiven.

By his party I think this'll be true. The question is, does he lose people in the party who see it for what it is?

[edit on 20-3-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Huh? Of course, Obama was insulting handicapped people.

And of course you're a Republican looking for anything to use against Obama.

Just sayin'...

Please, put the KoolAid down and slowly back away.

Ahh... Shawn Hannity, much?

You know, that 'KoolAid' thing is really pretty insulting.
Not to me (the person you were trying to insult), but to the family member of real people who died.

See what I did there?

Yes, he was insulting his own bowling by comparing it to "Special Olympics" bowling. In other words, he was saying that his bowling really, really stinks - just like Special Olympics bowling. Can you take off your Obama blinders long enough to come to grips with that?

First of all, I'm not an Obama supporter.
And second of all - yes, "Special Olympics" is called "Special Olympics" for a reason. It's because they can't compete against those in the regular Olympics. This is no insult to their efforts, just a fact of their abilities.
You would have us ignore those facts - of course, that's what it means to be politically correct.

Probably, it was a joke - it does not need to be supported by statistics.

Why?
Why oh why is this a liberal/conservative thing?
You just proved my point and you have no clue that you did.
You're using this not because you give a rats ass about 'special' people, but because you want to see this guy, Obama, burn.
And you know what? If I was handicapped, I'd find that far more offensive than what Obama said - the fact that people would highlight it for the sole purpose of bringing one man down.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join