It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Apologizes to Special Olympics for Bowling Joke

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

We weren't taking it out of context. We know exactly what he was talking about. He shouldn't have said it. Even with freedom of speech you cannot say somethings in public.

I can't drive down the road and yell racial slurs at people, I can be arrested for that.

You can't go on national television, use the handicap to describe how bad your bowling game is and expect to get away with it. Unless your Carlos Mencina, that guy can make anyone laugh while making fun of them.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by whatukno

We weren't taking it out of context. We know exactly what he was talking about. He shouldn't have said it. Even with freedom of speech you cannot say somethings in public.

I can't drive down the road and yell racial slurs at people, I can be arrested for that.

You can't go on national television, use the handicap to describe how bad your bowling game is and expect to get away with it. Unless your Carlos Mencina, that guy can make anyone laugh while making fun of them.

But we can go on the internet and spew pretty much anything that enters our minds.

Carlos Mencia? ha... Carlos Jokestealia. If getting louder and louder makes you funny I suppose.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can continue to comment on this anymore. You are pretended to be offended, while simulataneously saying that a handicapped person calling Obama a n***** is funny.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

I'm not saying that *I* see a difference in the way he's being treated here (in this case I do not), but that some people legitimately believe there is one. I also think he's taking a pretty good beating from the media right now on a number of fronts.

I've often accused them of treating Obama much differently than a conservative politician in the past, but as of late, it seems that the media sharks smell blood in the water and they're going after this administration now.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Attention Please!

I'm going to step in here and ask for members to cool down and remember that Civility And Decorum Are Required.

Please discuss the topic and not each other.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Jokes are jokes, and yes you are taking it out of context. You are saying there is something more to this than there is.

The people that should be offended are the professional bowlers of this country. How dare we have a president that is not a good bowler. His lack of bowling skill is more offensive to pro bowlers of this country than it would be to the people of the Special Olympics.

Like I said, it's a joke. More important things to talk about than stupid jokes.

like they say
em if they can't take a joke.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

So, you're not offended then. You just think he shouldn't have done it on TV. Join the club. He'll catch hell from the appropriate people, and you can move on with your life.

reply to post by vor78

Because they want to see one. Obama is catching as much fire if not more than Bush (considering this is Obama's first few months in his first term - not his last 3 years).

I'm glad you've noticed that, also. I mean, Jon Stewart and the Daily Show even haven't let up on Obama. When they are seeing hypocritical moves on Obama's part, they air it up just like it was Bush.

Maybe this will be on there tonight... I'll have to check it out.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Ah the POSS is working overtime as usual.

The difference between Barak and Bush is that Barak apologized.

And if it was Bush bowling, he would of needed bumpers anyways.
j/k. He could of been a pretty good bowler for all I know.

You really want us to open up all the republican gaffs? Or all the gaffs in general?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I would say something in reply to your post, but it will just get deleted by the mod for some reason.

So, I will say this.

What he says in the privacy of his own home is one thing, I can give to cents about that.

What he says for the Nation and the World to see should concern everyone. I don't care if it was a poor attempt at humor or him just being mean just to be mean.

As President he should be held to higher standards then you or me. When he falls from those standards, like he did last night, we all look bad.

That is why I am upset about this. Bush made us look bad for a long time, it needs to stop and he hasn't slowed down yet.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

It's amusing that people still feel the need to vilify Pres. Bush in order to divert attention away from Pres. Obama. I suppose I could counter with something about Bill Clinton and cigars, but why stop there when we could side-step to John F. Kennedy, the Bay of Pigs, and Cuban cigars. Or better yet, how would Lincoln's or even George Washington's bowling compare?

Is Obama a stand alone President or does he have to be propped up alongside someone you believe to be the worse president in order for him to look presidential?

Let it go....let it go.....

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
reply to post by Swatman

Not that this is even comparable to a Bush gaff,

That right there is what we're talking about. Why is this not comparable with a Bush gaffe? This was a mean-spirited jab at the Special Olympics. Yet you somehow separate this insult from gaffes that Bush made?

Tell us, enlightened one, why is this gaffe DIFFERENT from a Bush gaffe???

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

When I am at home with my wife we talk however we want. I drop the f bomb all the time. In my years in the Army I have come up with some pretty original ways of expressing my frustrations.

When I go visit my family or in laws I leave that language at home with the cat. There is a time and place to use it and in front of family is not one of them.

It is the same thing. At home you can talk however you want, I really don't care. When you go out in public then there are certain things that are not alright to say.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Has anyone noticed that the audience is laughing?

Of course, they are not the POTUS. Seems anything Un-PC is funny. I agree that the joke was in bad taste.

I've recently watched Obama Deception and was surprised by clips of Bush making fun at not finding WMDs in Iraq. I don't think these are even in the same league, and the latter was not even considered a gaffe.

[edit on 20/3/09 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Ah the POSS is working overtime as usual.

j/k. He could of been a pretty good bowler for all I know.

You really want us to open up all the republican gaffs? Or all the gaffs in general?

Let's get real on something - Obama apologized because the public eye was on him, not because of any sense of decency.

And no, let's not open this up to other Republican gaffes - let's stay on topic, shall we?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The only people who should be upset about this are the extreme liberals. They are the ones who usually get upset about these kinds of comments. If you find yourself overly agitated by this, then you are probably being more partisan than you think.

Isn't this the same group of people that get bent out of shape because the liberals have made everything too pc?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
All I can say is "C'mon people. You must be joking." The man was poking fun at HIMSELF. I am the parent of a special needs child who will never be self sufficient, nor will he be able to be the next super sports hero. I say this for a reason. I will die for my son in less than a heartbeat if it will help him. I am quite sensitive to any remarks made regarding those who are 'special'. Do I take offense at President Obama's remark. NO. Not even a little bit.
There is much to be ticked off at. This remark is something that is not even news worthy in my opinion.
I give him Kudos for even being open to appearing on the show.
This man has class, brains, and cajones. Next subject.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join