It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Apologizes to Special Olympics for Bowling Joke

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Politically incorrect no doubt. Then again I can only vaguely imagine the level of stress this man is going through on a daily basis. A mistake and something he will regret saying, but nonetheless he is human and is prone to making mistakes. Hopefully people won't look into this too much...

(PS: Regardless of whether you like or hate George Bush, google a "Before and After" photo - you will know what I mean by "stress".)

[edit on 21/3/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

How dare you point out what he said?
Are you some type of racist?
Whats the big deal anyway?

These are the things the Obamabots will be saying as the savior can do no wrong when in reality he has done nothing right.

I just wonder what they will be saying when dinner is a can of corn or baked beans?

I hate to say it because I never liked the man but I miss GWB already.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
in all honesty this politically correct crap is garbage

freedom of speech is completely gone, cant talk about muslims cant talk about special olympics cant talk about crap without the people who are lawyers for crap stepping in and suing you for talking crap about crap

we need to lighten up

yeah if anyone else said it, there would be a firestorm and hell to pay

WHY?!!?! who cares? who gives a damn? it was clearly a joke, everyone got the joke

obama sucks at bowling, he couldve put it another way, but he didnt he was on late night, was trying to use humor

MANY comedians have said things A LOT WORSE

yea they arent the leader of the free world, so what

people laugh at their jokes and people "get it"

we all know damn well obama and everyone else out there dont really hold negative feelings towards those who are disabled, its a simple joke using a stereotype id say 90 percent of the world uses

those who do hold negative feelings for the disabled are mentally disabled themselves

i still believe in freedom of speech

so to put it in similar terms to obamas statement

things like this are more retarded then the football helmut wearer walking down the street

theres SERIOUSLY much more important problems and things that need to be addressed and focused on

we're in one of the worst economic times ever and we have the news wasting valuable time talking about this

we're in a war similar to vietnam, shouldnt be there, never shouldve been there, many people are dying and our way of life has been changed drastically

we could go on for a long time about all the problems facing the world today that are bigger then obama making a "distasteful" joke about the handicapped

i mean even the handicapped themselves get it, and now it will go on to be even funnier then it was in the beginning because now im sure that special olympics bowler is going to bowl against obama and make obama look like a fool bowling

the handicapped guy isnt sitting there crying talking about how bad obama insulted him
hes saying HAH obama that fool i could beat him any day in a game of bowling and id love to get the chance to

makes you wonder whos more mentally disabled, the people with true mental disabilities that qualify for the special olympics or the people screaming and crying about the president making a joke about himself on a comedy show on late night television

this IS AMERICA, more specifically the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

where we are free

in our original constitution we have freedom of speech

i applaud obama for using that freedom as "distasteful" as it may have been

people need to grow up and quit wasting time dealing with bs and more time focusing on the real problems

right now we got ceos out of work delivering pizzas, so what the hell are the pizza delivery guys going to do for jobs now? collect bottles and cans?

worlds going seriously downhill and we're worrying about obama cracking jokes

what about all the crap bush said? he still lasted out his 2 terms

obama makes one bad joke and everyone wants him tar and feathered

maybe we should re-address our definition of retarded to include the people complaining

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I do not understand what the big deal is. I think most Special Olympians realize that they will not be bowling a 300 game. PC is one thing. Truth is another.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fuggle

Wow. Compared to Obama's score, my bowling average is REALLY like something out of the Special Olympics.

I'm amazed at how touchy Americans can be...how uptight. You'd think his nipple was exposed at a football game or something, judging by some of the anger and hatred here.

LOL no kidding. But in our defense, it was really the FCC who made a big deal about, not the Americans.

In fact, after the wardrobe malfunction. TIVO reported the highest spike in rewinds in history.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

A voice of reason. Thank you. I really can't stand Obama but to focus on something as stupid and pointless as this when he says things like I'm the president and I will take responsibility for the bailout bonuses. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing! Taking responsibility would mean he was going to pay for it. I won't go into any more of his bull**** because those who have a brain know and those who don't won't listen. And as far as a liberal media, that is absolutely ludicrous. We have a CORPORATE MEDIA! They tell us what they are told to tell us. Until you people figure out that there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats except dogma and campaign rhetoric there is no hope for any of us. If you cannot take the time to look at where all their money comes from, which will make it clear who paid them all to vote for the bailout then perhaps you should not fool yourself into believing you have an informed opinion. Obama is a corporate puppet just like Bush and every president we have had for the last 50 years.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Just a question, but could you have been fired from your job for saying what he said? I could. Just saying, that's all.

BTW, did he apologize or did he send out his zombies to say it for him?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
the reason for this topic was not to be politically correct. i hate political correctness, however i am simply bringing this topic up because the MSM gives him a pass when if anyone else said it, they would be dowsed in gasoline and burned.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

Yup, he certainly got a pass. Only got a 10-page thread over the non-statement here, top news stories on all major media websites, and attention on talk radio (of course).

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have to agree with others who say that there are many reasons to be mad at President Obama. The bowling joke is minor compared with the blatant lies that Obama has told recently like, "There are no earmarks in the stimulus bill.", or "I didn't know about the AIG bonuses", or the BS about posting new bills on the internet 48 hours before a vote.

Take you pick, there is plenty to be steamed about. My personal favorite is the recent attempt to appease the Iranians.

I am waiting for the Obama apology to bowlers. That should be good.

Also, there is no need to put a Special Olympian on the White House staff. He already has one running the Treasury Department.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
good and now im happy

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey
we all know damn well obama and everyone else out there dont really hold negative feelings towards those who are disabled, its a simple joke using a stereotype id say 90 percent of the world uses

So racist slurs are made by people who aren't really racist then? Thats absolute nonsense.
I honestly don't know that you don't hold negative feelings towards the disabled.. and no 90% of people do not use the stereotype.. just like 90% of people don't find racist, sexist or homophobic jokes/insults funny. It is common but I don't think that many people are biggots.

Obama apologised but the damage is done. He is so worshipped that I think people will be more inclined to make jokes at the expense of the disabled just to support him. It's like the disabled community are suddenly fair game and if anyone finds it offensive they are told "you just don't have a sense of humour".. or worse "You're against free speech". Hate speech does not need or deserve to be used so freely.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by riley]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
You are forgoting what this statement means, it is projecting his mindset. If a white person made a simple joke about blacks he would be labeled all his life as racist.

It is not about pc, it is about his judegment and his mindset and it clearly projects him as a elitest.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Apparently you've never seen any stand up comedy, or any joke telling of any sort to believe that.

Originally posted by riley
He is so worshipped that I think people will be more inclined to make jokes at the expense of the disabled just to support him.

No offense, but that comment makes no sense. It's like the special olympics of arguing going on around here.

[edit on 3/21/2009 by Irish M1ck]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
No offense, but that is the dumbest comment yet on this subject. It's like the special olympics of arguing going on around here.

See? You say I'm wrong yet you make exactly the same joke your president did.. thanks for proving my point.
It's like you all got that same special olympics flyer in your spam box (you know the one.. ) but now the president has used that joke it's acceptable to laugh at it publically. America has come so far.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Clearly I was being ironic... but whatever. My sense of humor has not changed a bit. Either you laugh at none of it, or you laugh at it all.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I bet 9 people out of 10 who were watching that didn't think it was an insult of any kind or inappropriate (just as everyone in the crowd who laughed obviously didn't think so). It's the 1 out of 10 people that bring it to light and make it such a big deal.

And yes, maybe the President should be above that sort of remark - but just look back at our last few Presidents... Think about it. Have any of them been above these sort of gaffs?
Yes the ideal President would make no mistakes, but there is no ideal President, only humans who pretend to be more than they are - and humans make mistakes.
Just imagine if every little thing you said was put under a microscope...

I'd rather focus on the poor job Obama is doing as President rather than one comment which may or may not prove his 'evil' tendencies...

As far as I'm concerned, this right here is a portrait of everything that is wrong with politics. We'd like to focus more on the gaffs than the trillions of dollars that are being spent. The public at large wants to either see good or evil, and while they are looking for that they completely ignore all the 'details'.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
A lot of anger here, some people take things way too seriously.

Let's step back a minute and put all that political correctness rubbish away.

Steady Eddie 1995:

Life's too short to be so trivial.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Chadwickus]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
reply to post by riley

Clearly I was being ironic... but whatever. My sense of humor has not changed a bit. Either you laugh at none of it, or you laugh at it all.

It wasn't clear as you already said that my comment was the dumbest thing you heared on the subject. nice attempt at backtracking there.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Well, I didn't feel like getting censored for personal attacks, so I removed it. Clearly people's sense of humor are not going to change just to appease the president.

That was a fairly silly statement, you must admit.

[edit on 3/21/2009 by Irish M1ck]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join