It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Leadership Ignores Obama Outreach, Says World Powers Cannot Block Nuclear Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Iran's Leadership Ignores Obama Outreach, Says World Powers Cannot Block Nuclear Program

www.foxnews.com

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's supreme leader said Friday that world powers had been persuaded they could not block Iran's nuclear progress — making no mention of a new-year's message sent by President Obama to his country, Reuters reported.

Neither Ayatollah Ali Khamenei nor Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad noted Obama's attempt to make a "new beginning" with their country in recorded messages they issued to mark the Iranian New Year.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well as far as I can tell the message may not have been taken to heart in Tehran. This may just be Fox news glorifying the facts and not really paying too much attention to what other Iranians stated.

I never realistically thought that this would do much but i do have to say that I thought it was a pretty good idea from the administration. It is a win win politically either Iran takes this well and we move on or they ignore it and that can be used as ammunition for whatever the administration plans to do.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me. They probably see this as a sign of weakness. The same could be true with Russia because a lot of these leaders didn't grow up in the halls of academia. So their outlook on the world is very different to those of us who did and some see force and strength as the only way to resolve problems, not polite debate.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If Obama is serious, he will have to do more than send DVD's. He's good at that! No wonder Iran has snubbed it. Obama should be having a face to face with Iran and offering something more substantial than lip service.

IRM

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Although I agree that sending a video to them is a little bit Myspaceish,(wonder if they are friends on there yet) I think that he is trying to appeal to the younger generation of Iranians just like he did here.

He will not sit across from a table with Iran yet as it would be politically dangerous, they could make him look very foolish if they wished, and what do they have to loose?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Iranian leaders have a very long memory. It will take more than words for them to believe him and unfortunately it seems that that's all that Obama has... words.

new topics

top topics

join