It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two US Navy ships collide off Iran

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Just heard from a friend that is still in the Navy that two US Navy ships have collided off Iran with quite a few injuries. Has anyone heard anything about this yet?

It is nowhere in the News.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Just saw a news alert on Fox News, seems to be a Amphibious ship and a submarine. They also noted that one of the ships has a ruptured fuel tank, which must be the Amphib as the subs on station are nuclear.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Wow, you're good! Just came up on CNN confirmed by 5th Fleet.

Insert your own second line here ===>

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by s4dreamlnd93

The big question is, WTF are they doing there in the first place?

IRM

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
From what I have been told they are in the waters off of Iran which could also be construed as Kuwaiti waters, or in that general vicinity. Of course the sub could be just sitting there like we do all of the time with counties of interest. The amphib may not have been aware that it was there due to operational matters, and accidentally swiped it as it was steaming to wherever it was going (most likely Kuwait or Iraq).

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world so I don't think it's odd that the U.S has Naval ships there at all.
Sure it's near Iran but it's also near the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, etc..

I think CNN's headline of;

"U.S. Navy vessels collide near Iran" will attract more readers than "U.S Navy Vessels collide in the Straits of Hormuz"

It sounds like injuries were minor and all injured sailors are back on duty.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
It was USS Hartford LOS ANGELES class of fast attack submarine and the USS New Orleans that collided.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by s4dreamlnd93]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
USS New Orleans LPD-18 is a San Antonio class landing dock. She was commissioned in 2007. The San Antonio's carry a crew of 28 officers, 333 enlisted, with a landing force of 66 officers and 633 enlisted. She can carry up to four CH-46s, two V-22s with room to spot 4 V-22s on the deck and one in the hangar. She can float two LCACs, or one LCU, or up to 14 EFVs.

She's deployed with the USS Boxer amphibious group. These types of ships routinely sail with amphibious groups like this. USS New Orleans has a bad history already. She was completed two years and 90% over budget. She arrived in San Diego May 2007, requiring 400,000 more hours of work to be operational. August of last year she failed her INSURV inspection, with 2600 issues. These ranged from steering problems, to engine problems, to corrosion on the flight deck, and inoperable elevators.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

New Orleans is certainly a pretty ship though, well maybe not so pretty right now leaking F76 into the sea.

There was a lot of promise about the next gen mast that it had, supposedly better than the one on DDG's.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
the sun spot has been #ing with all the nav systems from submarines to satelites to everything including whales beaching themselves...

its getting worse now.....

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

The San Antonio's are pretty. But they were planning on 12 ships to replace 4 different classes, and now they're going with 10 to replace them. They may eventually increase that back to 12, but they're still looking at 20+ ships being replaced by 10-12.

The AEM/S is a pretty impressive design. It encloses the AN/SPS-48E (which is impressive because it's a 3D search radar), the AN/SPQ-9B horizon search radar, AN/SPS-73, TACAN, and communication systems. The neat part is that it is frequency selective composites. It will allow the ships sensors to pass through while blocking other frequencies.

www.fas.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by XIZTENZ

In my experience it is much more likely that the ST on the sub passed out on watch and the ST on the amphib was busy watching Youtube videos or maybe scanning the beach with the cameras in Combat.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
They say that the uss new orleans is state of the art in command and control - yeah right!

Its warfighting capabilities include a state-of-the-art command and control suite, substantially increased vehicle lift capacity, a large flight deck, and advanced ship survivability features that enhance its ability to operate in the unforgiving littoral environment.

[edit on 20/3/09 by cropmuncher]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Hahaha n00bs

Does that mean America will have no choice but to go to war with itself, as this was an act of hostility towards its own people.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

You seem to have had an easier time getting you SWO pin than I did
granted I did mine on a FFG.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Yeah, one of those squid drivers fell asleep at the wheel... Really bad juju.

I'm thinking this is part of one of the amphib groups out of Pendleton? I'm going to call a buddy out there tonight and find out if any of our MEU troopers are on this cruise.

Too bad MARINE stands for My A55 Rides In Navy Equipment... We need to get our own drivers....haha.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by XIZTENZ
the sun spot has been #ing with all the nav systems from submarines to satelites to everything including whales beaching themselves...

its getting worse now.....

It aint sunspots my friend, if it were nobody would be able to use their satnav.
No this is just downright incompetance..... which for some reason makes me laugh

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
i hear the sound of someone getting demoted

second line

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by cbianchi513
Too bad MARINE stands for My A55 Rides In Navy Equipment... We need to get our own drivers....haha.

That would produce pile ups not just collisions, can you imagine you Jarheads driving.

Remember what our job is?

Navy Rules for Warfare

Go to Sea
Send the Marines
Drink Coffee

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Nice... some things never change!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>