It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions take to the Street in France - Sarkozy Under Pressure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Three Million took to the street in France - putting pressure on Sarkozy - with millions unemployed now in France - they are letting the govt. know - they are not happy. Three quarters of the people in France support the protests. They had signs "telling Sarkozy to go".

I see and hear about protest around the world - we have had our "tea parties" - but there has not been a large mass protest - as there has been elsewhere.

link to story: www.independent.co.uk...

As many as three million people took to the streets across France today to protest against President Nicolas Sarkozy's handling of the economic crisis and demand more help for struggling workers.

The protests, which polls show are backed by three quarters of the French public, reflect growing disillusion with Sarkozy's pledges of reform as the crisis has thrown tens of thousands out of work and left millions more worried about their jobs.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0eb149c8858.jpg[/atsimg]

Bright spring sunshine helped the turnout and the total reported by union organisers surpassed the 2.5 million seen on an earlier day of protest on Jan. 29.

Streets in central Paris were packed with protesters waving anti-Sarkozy placards and chanting slogans, with badges reading "Get lost you little jerk!", the now infamous comment made by Sarkozy to a protestor at an agriculture show, much in evidence.

"There are more and more workers who feel they are not responsible for this crisis but that they are the main victims of it," said Bernard Thibault, head of the CGT, one of the eight trade unions organising the strikes.

More than 2 million people are out of work in France and despite an easing in inflation, even many with a job struggle with the high cost of living.

Sarkozy was elected in 2007 - with a promise of fixing France's economy - instead he has given Billions to banks............................ Jeez - that sounds familar.................. hhhmmmm - where have I heard and seen something like that elsewhere? Promises? Billions to Banks? Guess I will have to think about that one for awhile.....................................

Sarkozy, elected in 2007 on a pledge to shake up the French economy, has seen his approval ratings plunge as he has poured billions into bailing out banks and carmakers but rejected union demands for higher pay and tax hikes for the rich.

"People are in the streets and they are suffering, there are more and more people out of work and something has to be done," said Sylvie Daenenck, marching in Paris. "We shouldn't just be giving money to the bosses."

So, at some point, when people get their hand out of the sand here in the U.S. - when it become absolutely OBVIOUS - what is happening in the U.S. - will THEN people take to the streets in mass as they are in France?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
There are lots of parallels to America in this article.

Unions asking for higher wages, even though companies aren't making any money, people asking for higher taxes on the rich, bailouts to banks and car makers, etc.

It just seems to me that people don't understand the basics of economics. Companies can't pay more if they aren't making any money.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
"So, at some point, when people get their hand out of the sand here in the U.S. - when it become absolutely OBVIOUS - what is happening in the U.S. - will THEN people take to the streets in mass as they are in France?
"
Tell you the truth, I dont think that many people are willing to give up their Obama Pins that are attatched to their Obama T-Shirts in order to get a GETOU OUT OF HERE JERK T-Shirt just yet. I think that manypeople here in the U.S dont want to upset their God as of yet. So many people put their lives in the saviors hands, so if he fails them, I think that not only will there be protests, but there will be total chaos in the streets. I dont see that happening for a while though. People just arent ready to lose that 'Change' that they were promised.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
People need to understand the French work mind. Sarkozy came in with a promise to fix the economy, to make it more business friendly. That means that 34 hour work weeks and 2 hour lunches were in danger. It meant that the French were going to be feeling the same pressures as Americans have, worried about big business who didn't give a crap about workers.

Traditionally the French have always been very worker friendly, Sarkozy's reforms want to change that to "help the economy".

Work should about feeding yourself, it should not be a priority in life, in my opinion. We work work work to buy buy buy to fix the economy..blah on that.

Family life is important in France, to the exclusion of "career"

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
He IS Jewish so I can see him helping out the banks.
He also wants to bring in more 3rd world immigrants. It's as if they want to destroy western nations.

new topics

top topics

join