It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A.I.G. Sues U.S. for Return of $306 Million in Taxes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I wonder if AIG was one of the companies that actually owed back taxes before they received their bailout money. There was a thread about it that received no attention here

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Many of you might not like what Ron Paul has to say but he's right... again

The bad part is people are going to say Ron Paul blames america.
But is he wrong?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Please don't forget that it is the investors & clients who will benefit if AIG succeeds. What difference does it make if AIg gets the money from the IRS or from some other government agency in the form of another bailout?.....It all belongs to the taxpayers anyway...So I say give it to them, save the taxpayers the money that will be spent on lawyers & court costs and then deduct it from the next bailout...they are sure to receive.

I still think this is all smoke & mirrors. Behind it all is an agenda for the Democrat party to gain more control over the global economy. Slowly but surely the AIG execs will be replaced with handpicked loyal Democrat operatives that will use their position to influence AIG policy. AIG will then be in lock-step with the democrat agenda.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Sparky63]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
You do realize this don't you? Or would you rather your taxes go to pay bonuses to a deadbeat?
[edit on 20-3-2009 by HunkaHunka]

Your outrage does not outweigh the Constitution, nor should it ever be allowed to do so.

Ex Post Facto Laws (Laws passed "After the Fact") are unconstitutional. If you give $500 to a guy pretending to be a bum, and you see him later filling up a Lamborghini Diablo at the corner Gas Station, you do not have a right to punish that person or ask for that money back.

As Christ would say, "Do not give up that which you are unwilling to lose". Yes, AIG is a bunch of scumbags. Yes, it would make many people feel a lot better if they were to be punished for some of the sheer idiocy and damage they have caused...

But our entire Legal system is based upon Precident. The Government (RIGHT NOW) is creating a Precident that they can individually target people and punish them for doing things that outrage the public.

That is mob rule. That is NOT the Democratic Republic which the U.S.A. was founded to be.

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

The Government does not, should not, and should never be allowed to wield its power as a cludge against the people. You are ADVOCATING for it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63

I still think this is all smoke & mirrors. Behind it all is an agenda for the Democrat party to gain more control over the global economy. Slowly but surely the AIG execs will be replaced with handpicked loyal Democrat operatives that will use their position to influence AIG policy. AIG will then be in lock-step with the democrat agenda.

If the American economy fails the world economy fails. Yes, the Democrats (and the Republicans who have any sense) are trying to keep the American economy afloat. If in the process they improve the global economy, then bravo for them.

On the road to that recovery, they want to put some regulations in place (or I should say back in place; these are regulations America once had but were removed by the last few administrations) to keep us from tanking again.

That is the Democratic agenda.

It was deregulation that allowed the banks and conglomerates to get away with the **** they have. I say tax all of them and let them help pay for the mess they've put us in.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
See, I knew the bail-out was going to work out great. Just like the rose parade they had for us in Iraq.

Snarkiness off: it's all a quagmire.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheColdDragon

I am sorry but I MUST disagree with you. There are families out there suffering, there are students who cant continue higher education, there are THOUSANDS of people (especially as of recently) without jobs and even more loosing there homes, while OUR hard earned money is just flippantly paid out to people with no business getting any such bonuses....a couple hundered, even a couple thousand sure but millions? No thats just too much. Fat cats need to learn that you cant screw the people. If the people knew about the numbers they intended to dish out way back when the results would be the same. SOME in washington knew but the masses did not. Lets just remember that it is the MASSES who allowed the federal government to exist and it is our right and responsibility to stand up for change when that government is no longer effective or efficient.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

Originally posted by Sparky63

If the American economy fails the world economy fails. Yes, the Democrats (and the Republicans who have any sense) are trying to keep the American economy afloat. If in the process they improve the global economy, then bravo for them.

On the road to that recovery, they want to put some regulations in place (or I should say back in place; these are regulations America once had but were removed by the last few administrations) to keep us from tanking again.

That is the Democratic agenda.

It was deregulation that allowed the banks and conglomerates to get away with the **** they have. I say tax all of them and let them help pay for the mess they've put us in.

Agreed! I think its time they stop riding on the backs of the common man and pull their own weight.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by jd140

I don't understand your point.

The money was not taken without cause... they spent tax payers bailout money on bonuses, which was meant to cover the bad policies.

Then they took it and spent a HUGE chunk on bonuses to people who screwed the pooch to begin with!

You do realize this don't you? Or would you rather your taxes go to pay bonuses to a deadbeat?

[edit on 20-3-2009 by HunkaHunka]

I'm not trying to defend AIG but for some reason you seem hell-bent on giving the federal government a free pass in all of this.

You do realize that nowhere in the stimulus package was there anything about what this money could or could not be used for? It was a no-strings attached loan, which many Americans were rightly hopping mad over in the first place.

The federal government knew those bonuses were going to happen. They claim they didn't know how much was going to be paid out, but does that really matter? The fact is, they approved a huge loan for them with NO STRINGS! If there had been strings attached to the loan like there should have, AIG probably would not have taken the money or would have taken much less than they did.

Once a contract is signed, do you know how wrong it is to go back and change the terms of the deal after the payout has been made? How would you like it if the mortgage holder on your home said they were changing your mortgage terms and that your fixed interest rate of 5.5% was now being adjusted to a fixed rate of 15%? The government is changing the laws to cover their a$$es in this - I'm AMAZED that you seem to direct your anger in only ONE direction - where Obama/Gibbs tell you to direct it!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Averysmallfoxx
reply to post by TheColdDragon

I am sorry but I MUST disagree with you. There are families out there suffering, there are students who cant continue higher education, there are THOUSANDS of people (especially as of recently) without jobs and even more loosing there homes, while OUR hard earned money is just flippantly paid out to people with no business getting any such bonuses....a couple hundered, even a couple thousand sure but millions? No thats just too much. Fat cats need to learn that you cant screw the people. If the people knew about the numbers they intended to dish out way back when the results would be the same. SOME in washington knew but the masses did not. Lets just remember that it is the MASSES who allowed the federal government to exist and it is our right and responsibility to stand up for change when that government is no longer effective or efficient.

And who gave them that money? The people who blatantly ignored our pleas and protests to the contrary. Congressman who, like the idiot sheep they are, felt that they had to do SOMETHING to show that they were doing something (And for no other reason than that). Throw money at the problem.

You seem to have missed the fact that I think the bonus silliness is ridiculous as well, but you CANNOT allow Congress to begin down this road, or you are making all of us unsafe. If contracts as a whole are rendered meaningless, then there is no rule of law and everything falls apart. Nobody has to pay anybody, people who are holding the contracts lose everything and the foundation of the entire country begins to crumble (Not that it isn't doing so already).

The people who should be punished are the people who so foolishly decided to dump all that money on people who had already demonstrated they were selfish, greedy and could not succeed... and you are shocked and angry that they did what they would do? Get over yourself.

Why don't we deal with the people enabling the destruction of this nation, rather than getting our panties in a wad over such a miniscule amount as 180 million dollars (When we are talking about almost 3 TRILLION that has been thrown at the problem, and a subsequent 10 Trillion that it may cost us all in the end)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join