It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning Invasion of Privacy - GoogleEarth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
So, now we have GoogleEarth switching from helpful roadmaps to pictures of your house for all to see in stunning detail. This is a step too far and certainly constitutes an invasion of privacy for many many people.

The pictures are well defined enough to be able to see the contents of rooms through windows, to be able to examine locks and security devices at leisure, even to see what the television was showing at the time of the snap.

We have enough problems with government intruding into our homes without GoogleEarth going one step further and inviting the whole world to be able to stand outside of your house.

OK, there may be a touch of humour about the poor girl caught changing her clothing, snapped in her Mickey Mouse underwear (or even less) for all the world to see. GoogleEarth indicates that they will amend photo's that show "distressing" images but thousands of people may see you relaxing at home before you are aware of the intrusion - if you are even on the internet!

"So what?" people may say. OK, imagine a crowd of people standing right outside your house looking into your front windows, scrutinising your house. Then make those people anonymous. A criminal minority checking the security of your house, a perverted minority checking for evidence of children scattered about the living room floor, your privacy used for titillation of the masses.

Don't know what all the fuss is about? It is just a harmless snapshot of houses in roads and streets that anybody could walk up and visit? Sure... To the point that if you noticed a person on the street staring into your home for a quarter of an hour you would probably take action, confronting them or even calling the police to report suspicious activity.

Now it is laid out on a plate. Privacy has literally gone out of the window.

If I'm wrong, just a knee-jerk reaction, please tell me. Please reassure me that this does not provide an opportunity for our homes and indeed, lives, to be stripped yet further of privacy.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

I don't understand why there is so little outrage over this and Google in general. They have a history of poor privacy protection and are getting way too large.

I refuse to use it and so should anyone who is interested in the protection of privacy.

Does it really matter if it is the government or a private entity who is serious about getting into your life?

No.

There are ample options to Google. Use them

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Please, flag this thread... Not for my own ego but for public notice. I deliberately omitted to include a link to GoogleEarth (people will know where it is anyway) but something needs to be done about this.

Public pressure needs to stop this from expanding further.

Enough is enough.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Is this 2004? I had to check the calendar to make sure....

You're about 5 years behind with the whole google earth privacy thing

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I may be 5 years behind, however, it has only recently been brought to my attention of the pictures taken from ground level of every house in roads and streets. I admit I have used the aerial views for route planning myself, especially in areas of the country side where interesting features are visible.

I may be late in my indignation but I did not realise until recently that the cameras were also zooming into our homes through windows. It may well be appropriate indicate that I am behind the times - does this make it any better?

Plenty of people are not even on the internet... they may stuck in "2004" but they still have a right to real privacy.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by SugarCube]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

No different to someone walking past and taking a photo of your house, it's completely legal.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Lol I still remember some of those privacy invading photos from 2004. (omg was it really that long ago?)

Well, damn. Hate to say it, but this is technology and where we have brought it. Honestly if it wasn't Google, would it make you happier if it was just government using the same technology for pictures into your home? I have no doubt they can anyway, but... Google has gotten as large as it has, because it has filled a much needed void, connecting the world. (Not to mention all the money to be made... another topic completely, though).

Just assume that technology will continue to advance, whether we have it for our benefit or not. Many sci-fi's have documented this very well.

Not much we can do about it.

EDIT: Just to add, thanks for the reminder of those pictures.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I agree Chadwickus, it is completely legal. If a person stands outside of my house, takes pictures through my windows and publishes them on the internet of me without my kecks on, then it may well be deemed legal. Is it right?

Our society has lost the ability to differentiate between "right and "wrong", although I would admit that there is no absolute form of either. However, by standing back and just shrugging our shoulders we implicitly give our consent.

Maybe I am behind the times (I have only just seen the extent of the "doorstep photography") but this is a step too far, albeit belated in my condemnation.

Although there appears to be plenty of awareness in some of the replies, it is not clear whether you agree with it. Do you mind? Do you care? Do you want, not the odd bypasser, but many many people to (virtually) anonymously stand outside of your house and peer through your windows?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

My argument is that it is not illegal to stand at the roadside and take photos, real estate agents do this all the time.

If it's right or wrong or not is debatable, I personally have no problem with it, it's actually been quite useful in identifying places I've never been to before.

If someone does have a problem with it, they can report it to google and they will blur out whatever you deem inappropriate.

At the end of the day, a photo from someone on the road is going to show a lot more than the low quality images Google has.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Everyone agrees that its legal. What is happening is that everyone knows they have a terrible privacy track record and have been less than candid about their privacy policies. What is happening is that everyone views this encroachment as simply something that is bound to happen.

It might be bound to happen. It is totally different when all of these things are being done by a single entity. Where you live, who comes out of a pub, medical records, search criteria, possibly soon to be GPS data from cars (installed by the manufacturer), what is next. It is the aggregation of this data and the velocity that all of it in one hand that is troubling.

Additionally, the fact that the CEO of Google is on Obama's technical advisory committee and was a huge donor (along with the rest of the Google executive team) to Obama should also give pause.

Finally, there is something you can do about it. They are a commercial enterprise. Don't use their products.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Can you download a link............I really don't want that Google crap on my computer.......no telling what else you download now days

new topics

top topics

join