It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indie bands?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good indie bands.
I've got a couple.
D4
Stapleton
Band of Horses
The Virgins
and the best one, Spoon, thats my favorite.

i just like to share music, and to find new music.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
If you like modern "indie" music (as a genre anyway..), I would suggest getting into the older stuff, old garage and r/b from the 60's, you might like bands like the Buzzcocks, Violent fems, television personalities, or anything else power poppy, I'm a bit of a music buff so if you want some real suggestions tell us what more you are in to.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
i do like the violent femmes and the buzzcocks are ok. i like almost all alternative, not the crap like nickleback, real alt rock like the hives, the wombats, the arctic monkeys. stuff like that. I also like a lot of the older stuff too.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Probably half my cd collection is indie/alternative. currently listening to

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Rifles
Smiths
Neutral Milk Hotel
Idlewild
Arcade Fire

I'd definitely recommend checking out 60's garage bands, as they provided the prototype sound for a lot of indie music. The nuggets CD collections are a good place to start, along with more mainstream 60's bands like The Who, Kinks, Byrds, Small Faces etc.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Paul

nice thx a lot!!!

that will keep me entertained for a couple of weeks.

here are some recent ones that i really like too

Foals
Ladyhawk (not a band but indie)
Hot Chip
Bumblebeez
CSS

enjoy^^

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
It's amazing how broad a spectrum indie music has come to encompass since the early days of The Smiths/Stone Roses, and how many older bands who were around before the indie/alt genre was recognised (like Blondie/Buzcocks/Joy Division etc) are now indie references and influences. Its such a melting pot now with new wave, punk, electro, psych/garage, folk, and a million other things thrown into the mix, I don't think you could ever stop discovering new (and old) music.

Some more bands well worth a listen:

The Cribs
Pulp
Modest Mouse
Santogold
Charlatans (uk)

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
thanks for those guys. some of my current favorites are:
The Black Keys
Cage the Elephant
Franz Ferdinand
The Strokes
a lot of the older stuff too, Elvis Costello, The Sterns, The Replacements, The stems, that kind of stuff.

top topics

join