It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MadWorld: 'most violent computer game ever' launched on Nintendo Wii

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic

True and hopefully the parents will have the necessary discretion to not allow their kids to play this. But realistically many will be able to get a hold of it.

Should not be on the market at all.

I think that poor parenting is the reason kids will go out of their way to get their hands on a game they are not allowed to play. And, I think poor parenting has probably allowed these same children who will try to get their hands on this game to watch violent movies, television programs, etc., and fostered in these children a desire to play violent games.

Mind you I share your feeling that these games are a sad commentary on many humans. I think it is a shame that people want to engage in that level and kind of virtual violence. However, it is bad parenting that has created the market for these products.

If something were to be regulated, I think it would be more effective to regulate who can and cannot be a parent, rather than what sort of products can and cannot be made. That would work towards solving the problem by reducing demand, instead of focusing on supply. The drug war was an attempt to kill something on the supply side, and we have all seen how well that strategy works.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
/Sigh

Some people just do not understand the beauty of gaming and try to use it as a scapegoat for the deeper problems embedded in modern society.

I can still remember the 'Mass Effect' sex scandel and the lies and fabricated BS spewed out by people in the MSM who had clearly not played the game at all.

The same goes for GTA. Continually, I hear the allegations brought against it that it is a sick game were you score points for killing people. Any respectful gamer knows that this is yet another complete lie as you can't score points at all in GTA

And for the record, most people play GTA not for the killing but for the immersion, escapism, story, humour, music and atmosphere. Some people will just never understand this.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by influx.destruction

Do your parents know you play these games? Or, if they dont, are they the ones who give you the money to buy games and simply dont check to see what you are buying?

I am curious. I understand your position, (though I dont agree with it) but I am not criticizing you for holding it. I am mostly interested in how your parents feel about the games you play.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barla Von
/Sigh

Some people just do not understand the beauty of gaming and try to use it as a scapegoat for the deeper problems embedded in modern society.

Some of us do understand the beauty of gaming. Some of us have been playing video games longer than some of you have been alive.

Some of us dont understand why extreme violence has become synonymous with "fun." That has nothing to do with not understanding gaming itself, or finding pleasure or beauty in the act of gaming.

I personally do not blame "gaming" for the deeper problems in society. I blame people for that. Particularly those people who did not see fit to instill in their children a sense that violence is something that should be avoided unless absolutely necessary to preserve life and liberty.

I blame those people who act as though television and games should mold and shape their children and their childrens view of the world, rather than they themselves instilling in their children a sense of right and wrong, and an appreciation for the finer aspects of humanity. Thats who I blame. Those who allow the worst aspects of humanity and our greatest failures to become the things to which our youth aspire.

Edit; spelling, grammar

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
it's a videogam, it doesn't make you violent, it doesn't cause school shootings, it doesn't make you a stone cold killer, I grew up on games like DOOM, GTA, Wulfenstien, and Mortal Kombat, and i never shot up a high school, or my college, I've never even gotten in a fight in my life. people need to get their heads out of their asses and knock it off with the whole 'ooohhhh it's violent! oh noes!!!" crap

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Whether anyone likes it or not isn't the case. Violence is apart of our everyday living. Dating back to the first out burst of anger, humans have always relished the fact that we can vent anger in multiple ways. This game isn't the first violent oriented source of entertainment to come out. Anyone remember GTA(Grand Theft Auto), which promotes killing in a simulated environment. This is a safer way for people to vent their anger in a cartoon reality.

However it does give certain ideas.

Try to be open minded and if video games are a source of violent behavior in youth or adults then why haven't they taken extreme action to ban them? Also cashiers do an ID check to make sure the purchaser is of appropriate age where they are no longer blinded to the reality that this is a violent world and death is inevitable.

As for those parents who buy these types of games for children, they need to be more responsible and stop blaming this form of media for their child's outburst of tantrums.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gren
people need to get their heads out of their asses and knock it off with the whole 'ooohhhh it's violent! oh noes!!!" crap

Maybe the only reason you have never gotten into a fight in your whole life is because you are parked in front of a monitor. Because if you talked like you did in your post to people to their face, you probably would have had the pleasure of some hand to hand "mortal combat."

You see violence isnt only physical. It can also be verbal. And in the world, in many places, the one leads to the other. Your post is no argument for violent games not effecting children. But if you were "raised on" violent games, your post IS an argument that many parents simply fail to do their jobs. If they had not allowed you to be steeped in violence all your life, you might be surprised to discover that you would not be drawn to it, or enjoy it as an adult.

I can buy any game I want. I have no desire to play extremely violent games, because I was not exposed to high levels of fantasy violence on TV and in movies as a child. What I watched was limited by the adults in my life. The violence I did see growing up was real violence. Fist fights and the like. And real violence gives you a perspective on violence children raised on violent media never get until it is too late. That perspective being that violence has very unpleasant consequences both for individuals and for communities and that it is to be avoided if you want to have a good life and community.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I really want this game but I'm broke... What should I do?
I know! I'll learn from all the other violent video games I've played and I'll just slaughter people to get money!

If the above reasoning seems absurd to you, that's because it is

Fiction is fiction.
Fantasy is fantasy.
Reality is reality.

If you don't even know that much, then you really shouldn't be wandering the streets to begin with...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
in all honesty there is a lot worse out in the real world that the goverment and world leaders are more than happy to let us get into.....

Games have age limits for a resaon.... and if your irresposible enough to let your children play them well you have no reason to complain.

and with the way that gaming trends have changed over the last few years with more and more games bieng aimed at the 30+ generation, it really is up to parents to make a decision and keep these games away from children.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It's rated M.

If you buy and allow your child to play a rated M game then congrats, you are a bad parent.

You wouldn't let your 12 year old go see a rated R movie would you?
It's the same thing and it pains me that people blame the videogame industry.

But then again play grand theft auto 4 online and listen to the 12 year olds dropping the "N," bomb left and right. If I played game like that as a kid and said those things my parents would've slapped the sh*t out of me!

It's not the videogames fault, it's the stupid people that play them and the stupid parents that don't done look at the ratings. They are there for a reason.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
people can find violence anywhere , even on kids school books , so i dont understand why just attack videogames.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by dracodie]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slash

Nothing! Every one has their own tastes, every one is different. Just because it's a game that YOU wouldn't play, doesn't mean some thing is wrong with people who would play it.

Whilst i can see where you're coming from i have to question it. To play this game, with no goal other than being violent seems slightly odd to me. That doesn't mean they'll be violent in real life but i'd like to see a study which matched real life violence to those who are attracted to these games. That doesn't mean the game caused it, just that violent people may be attracted to it.

However as always i say i support the games existence because it's part of a free society to make whatever you like as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Parents just need to pay attention to what their kids are playing. Kids don't have their own money to buy what they want. Parents should stop using gaming consoles as babysitters. Also if your kid is warped enough to think of shooting up a school, it's also the parents fault not video games or music. Pay attention to your kids. That's all it takes.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
As someone who's been playing games since the original Quake was the must own game because it had "Online death match" this is just another grab at ratings by the main stream media.

Actually I'm glad it's getting the attention because I figured this game was going to flop sales wise.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
children are attracted to these violent games for one reason, they think they are cool. Why would that be?
I really don't understand it, and I myself find myself playing them, but it seems it actually hurts you inside when you see something that violent happen in front of your eyes, like images that don't need to be in childrens eyes.
For example, in Resident Evil 4 there are characters with chainsaws, and the absolute only way they attack you, in full motion video, is to saw off your head, your head falls off, your body falls , blood squirts out of your arteries from the neck. In this game headshots with magnum handguns, highpowered rifles, and point blank standard ammunition weapons literally blow peoples heads off, with full motion gore video.
There is an enormous amount of programming that has been done to make these games challenging, more than you can imagine unless you play. so here is my thoughts on this.
Someone has designed very detailed powerful challenging games to desensitize you to gore, the gameplay I will tell you is on the level of unbelievable, you will play, you will try and win, you will experience violence. The addiction of playing isn't from the gore, its from the difficult challenge of reality that is programmed into these games that other games cannot and willnot ever be able to reach.
Do I want to play a game where I climb up and hit things with my head and mushrooms pop out, or do I want to see how I would fare if I was fighting for my life in a very gory virtual survival match to the death.

I seriously think you need to know the danger of these games is the repeating gore that is so realistic with arteral spray that it could make the soft stomached sick, and leave lasting images of death in your mind worse than watching faces of death over and over and over for the rest of your life.

My personal belief is that video game companies need to pay programmers to make games with this amount of realism and challenging gameplay without the decapitations and murdering. If someone took these games away from the market there would be serious outcry, and everyone knows we let our kids play this crap because we love our kids and give in to trends and what our kids want to play. IT IS WRONG>but the mold is cast and the games are streaming out to everyone all the time, this game might become the worlds most violent game, but within two months or less there will be another that claims this, this is how our society rewards genious, these programmers could do something else , start a new trend , get our kids minds off blood and gore, but know one wants to lose money or fame.

I can't stop playing the dang things myself, but I wish I could, I am addicted, please come to my house and take them. Please...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Well people play games for entertainment. Some people play to let off steam, or to get away from the real world. Think of the old game Super Mario. His goal was to save the princess, through violence by stomping on enemies and shooting fire balls.
Sure it was in 2d and lacked the detail of the games today. I think that's what entices kids. "Wow if I wack this guy with a bat, blood sprays on the wall," which in turn might make them do the same in real life, due to poor parenting.
Mad world has it's own story, there is a goal, through violence, like Super Mario, or any other violent game you can think of.

If you look at my last post, I added a link to a story about a baby sitter killing a kid because he was influenced by the game Mortal Kombat.
Yes violent people may be attracted to these games. I believe there was a "small" study linking violent people to video games. I'd have to look for it, I think there is a news article some where out there.

There are some sickos out there, I'm sure, that plays these games and get ideas from them, but they're a minority. Most people play them for entertainment. So the actions of a few makes a certain game evil. No need to ban it because of a few people who have problems. And it's a poor way of thinking, but it's like guilty by association, "Oh no you play THAT game? You're gonna be violent in real life."

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Slash]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic

Is this the state we have fallen to? I mean seriously. And just thinking about children playing this. No wonder we have school shootings. Such a violent world is it not?

Theatrics and special effects always seem to making awful and otherwise sick things cool. Media distortion IMHO is completely tweaking our lifestyle and this is just another way.

Anyway thought this was worth reading and could not find another thread about it.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

You know what's funny? I'll tell ya Ive been a gamer my whole life starting off on doom and moving to zelda all through every different game you could imagine but what's so funny Is a game like that sounds awesome to play to me ... and yet amazingly Im a well adjusted member of society it's shocking isnt it.

seriously those school shootings stuff like that has nothin to do with games or music or movies its all parenting

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Slash

If you look at my last post, I added a link to a story about a baby sitter killing a kid because he was influenced by the game Mortal Kombat. Yes violent people may be attracted to these games. I believe there was a "small" study linking violent people to video games. I'd have to look for it, I think there is a news article some where out there.

If people are already violent , then i dont see any relation between those people and the violent games.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dracodie
reply to post by Slash

If people are already violent , then i dont see any relation between those people and the violent games.

I don't either. But some people do.

Then again, like I said, violent people may be attracted to violent games.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Slash]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join