It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Really Need to Read This: Update on H.R. 1388

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
As many of you already know, this bill was passed by the House of Representitives on March 18, 2009 by a vote of 321-105. Every representitive from my State of New York voted to sell me into slavery; however, Ron Paul voted no as I expected.

Some interesting things I discovered. There are two amendments to the bill that should be of particular interest not just to the members of this board, but to every American citizen:

a) Amendment numbered 10 which requires annual training for a member of the "National Service Reserve Corps."

(11) H.Amdt. 48 by Rep. Titus [D-NV]

Amendment numbered 10 printed in House Report 111-39 to create a National Service Reserve Corps and requires an annual service requirement of at least 10 hours and/or annual training. A member of the National Service Reserve Corps is one who has completed a term of national service, fulfilled training, and will respond to national disasters and other emergencies. These individuals will be listed in a national database for the ease of immediate deployment in case of emergency.
Proposed: Mar 18, 2009. Accepted: Mar 18, 2009

My question is who is or will be a member of the "National Service Reserve Corps" and why are they going to be responding to national emergancies? Are these the Civilian Security Force that Obama mentioned in that speach that will be as "well funded as the military?"

b) All I can say is WTF is this?

(12) H.Amdt. 49 by Rep. Miller [D-CA]

Amendment to prohibit organizations from attempting to influence legislation; organize or engage in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes; and assist, promote, or deter union organizing.
Proposed: Mar 18, 2009. Accepted: Mar 18, 2009.

What the hell is this? An amendment to the bill that would PROHIBIT FREE SPEACH? What happened to the First Amendment?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

This bill is really getting scary! What are they trying to do in DC? Why isn't anyone talking about this in the MSM? Glenn Beck, are you listening?

1st Amendment

Amendments to H.R. 1388

[edit on 19-3-2009 by finemanm]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
A friend of mine today said she thought it was a good idea. She said she thought it should be mandatory for men to spend up to two years in the service to learn computers, how to use WEAPONS, whatever. Her argument to my "what about freedom of choice" rebuttal was "It's only two years."

I used to thin this chick was awesome. What she said today made me wanna puke. Isn't what made America great was that you could be free to choose if you wanted to do this crap or not?

I am sorry but FORCING anyone to do ANYTHING doesn't sound like freedom to me. If I want to be a lazy ass then I have the right to be a lazy ass and I will also receive all the rights and benefits a lazy ass gets. Isn't that the way we made this country? Isn't that why we look up to soldiers and firefighters who courageously put their lives on the line for us? Because they deserve it for DECIDING to be heroes? How can we look up to people in the future who were FORCED to be heroes? Wouldn't we have to change the definition of the word "hero" and "bravery" and "courageous"?

C'mon, if we were all heroes then wouldn't NONE of us be heroes? It would be the norm and would be nothing special.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I just don't get it. Why do they think that they need to force us to "volunteer?" There are plenty of people who do it anyway. I volunteered in a hospital when i was in college. My adviser told me it would be a good idea to see if I really wanted to pursue pre-med. I am now a lawyer. Lets just say that I quickly learned that doctors are around sick people all day and I didn't like the idea.

When I was in law school, I did an unpaid internship in the Family Court. I did it for accademic credit and I wanted to get the experiance. There are plently of carrots out there to persuade us to work for free. We certaintly don't need to be coerced to volunteer.

But I don't this is really about encouraging volunteerism. I think this is a way to create a momentum for a draft, for a facsist style nationalism, for compulsory "service" to subjugate us to the will and fancies of the Government.

Finally, why is there this provision that seeks to ban free speech? How does free speech interfer with volunteerism?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Does this bill apply to everyone? Or certain people only? I noticed on the amnedment, shall not be influenced by religion...what im getting at is, dosnt our green money have printed, in god we trust? Thats a blasphemous and cotradictiing phrase they gave. If its for everyone, alot wont do it ide imagine..once words spreads this is what Hitler did when becoming Chanselous in germany early 19330's then compare it to this, or what Stalin and others in russia did, by law men of age 18 or older MUST join the army, or go to priosn or the goolag, theyde stop doin it. So it says yuo cant protest,,,try n stop an angry mob of people, go ahead

Of course, ide expect somoen like obama, if such an occassion arose or disobedience, a statement like oh cmon, this istn 1930's anymore, or russia under communism. LIke minds think alike,a nd hsitry does repeat itself, its in our destiny as humans.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

you do realize that section is defending the 1st ammendment, not taking it away.

can i getta comprehension test.

allow me to put it in better terms.

"congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religeion or Prohibitting the free exercise thereof; or ABRIDGING the freedom of speech"

thats saying congress CANT favor or prohibit any single religion. its easier read as... "congress shall make NO law PROHIBITING the free exercise" and abridging, as i hope you know.. means to take away, again its sayin congress cant make the law to take it away.

not saying this bill isnt bad, but just please use less ignorance when pointing fingers at every little thing you can't comprehend.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Who's submitting this bill and why? After reading those amendments, I can only surmise that any freedom once bled for will be for not!

Times are changing and not for the better. This generation has no ideal what sacrifice means... ]

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Willbert]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
People loved Obama and Rahm Emmanuel WITHOUT knowing them for real, they only knew them via media.

To really know them, you had to read Rahm Emmanuel's Mein Kampf/PNAC, Big Ideas For America, yes, War On Terror to continue, Conscription MANDATORY, ect...

And reading book by all Obama's advisers and backers... This is horrible.

I wanted McCain to be elected because at least people would have opposed everything he did, Obama was the worse choice because he had charisma and a bunch of braindead followers.

I'm starting to hate him more than Bush. At least Obama doesn't have a high body count yet, but it will go up. His body count is probably over a few hundreds already, afghan-iraqi-pakistani killed. Soon it will be more americans. He already have a high body count in terms of financial, giving a few trillions to the bankers, having a budget in deficit of over 2 trillions, printing money to pay for it, expanding the war in afghanistan, conscription, trying to ban guns, trying to stop veterans from having health-care, trying to portray patriots as terrorists.....

All that in less than 2 months... DISGUSTING.

There gonna be a fight in america, a new civil war, with those kind of legislation and the anti-gun laws, I'm now sure of it.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
i think you need to read the bill a bit further.

example: if i just lost my job, and couldn't find work and had to pay my bills, i could work for 600 bucks to at least get me by.

it's all volunteer, so nobody is forced

and if you are in the organization, you can't set up a protest at the same time you supposed to be doing volunteer work...duh.
if you want to protest, simply put it in writing, and leave the organization. after that you can protest your head off.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by twizzleme

you do realize that section is defending the 1st ammendment, not taking it away.

can i getta comprehension test.

allow me to put it in better terms.

You made my day.
You've been TWIZZLED!

That quote is from the US Constitution's Bill of Rights I believe.
It is NOT a quote from the "amendments to HR 1388"

The poster you cited merely added the wording from our Bill of Rights to show how he or she feels it explicitly violated the 12th amendment of HR 1388.

"Here, have a TWIZZLE Stick!"

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Here's the Summary...

HR 1388 summary

& here's the full txt

HR1388 FULL TXT

and here my 2 cent's ..

What if I don't want to volunteer~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
It's flat unconstitutional...

What part of NO do you not understand?

Litigation after it passes.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
"12) H.Amdt. 49 by Rep. Miller [D-CA]

Amendment to prohibit organizations from attempting to influence legislation; organize or engage in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes; and assist, promote, or deter union organizing.
Proposed: Mar 18, 2009. Accepted: Mar 18, 2009."

This sounds like plain Fascism! and I'm just waiting to see more of these signs to appear here in Europe as well, people really need to start protesting against the insanity of the politicians before it's too late!

Some actions by the politicians of America begins to look like those of the 1933 Germany.

The corporations are working close with the goverment and sometimes from inside the goverment.

Add all the fear mongoring with the war on terror to this with the Patriot act and all other insane control mechanisms we're starting to see, it sure looks more and more like a fascist state to me.

(But now It's anti-muslim sentiments instead of the jews.)

I can't help it, but this reminds of a great piece of dictum by Martin Niemöller 1946 :

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
Then they locked up the Social Democrats;
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Social Democrat
Then they came for the trade unionists,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
Then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up and protest.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
That was hilliarious! You insult my reading comp skills and you can't recognize the First Amendment in the Bill of Rights if it smacked you in the face.

I included the First Amendment as a counter point to make it clear that the 12th amendment of THIS BILL is patently unconstitutional on it's face. We can argue about the legality of forced service; however, there is no ambiguity about a provision which seeks ban free speech.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Did anyone actually read the summary of this bill?

Or the record of amendment 12 to the bill?

This only has to do with participants in the Americorps and other volunteer corps programs.

In exchange for service in these programs, people will get either financial award or grants for education.

Amendment 10 basically makes sure that participants in the program won't use their position in a politically motivated way, that certain sorts of organizations (for example, any organization that provides abortion services or abortion referrals) cannot benefit from the programs, and that the volunteers will not perform jobs that would otherwise be done by paid employees.

As for the bit about an organized civilian corps with training in emergency preparedness, what's wrong with that? Since the government has shown on more than one occasion that it's not up to the job of dealing with natural crises alone, why not have a bunch of civilians who aren't going to lose their head in a disaster?

[edit on 3/20/2009 by americandingbat]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If such a law was passed right here in Portugal, I'd have taken the President's official residence by now and dissolute both the Government and the Parlament. Things are just like that over here: our Prime Minister is involved in a very serious corruption scandle when he was the Environment Minister.

Although the subject of the OP wasn't applicable to every American citizen, things are heading to a very dangerous path. And faster than any of us had anticipatted.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Toorop]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Does this bill apply to everyone? Or certain people only?

I can guarantee you that it will not apply to those born with silver spoons in their mouths, or senators sons.

/there's a song in there somewhere.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Does this bill apply to everyone? Or certain people only?

I can guarantee you that it will not apply to those born with silver spoons in their mouths, or senators sons.

/there's a song in there somewhere.

Yeah, it's called "Fortunate Son" by Creedance Clearwater. Listening to it now.
As for this bill, they want me to volunteer, they must have a way to reanimate the dead, because over my dead body. Period. Exlamation. And a Kiss My Ass.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by catseyequeen
If I want to be a lazy ass then I have the right to be a lazy ass and I will also receive all the rights and benefits a lazy ass gets.

You would be surprised how many of those are in this country...

They are enjoying their SSI benefits their entire life while I'm EARNING their government check working 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week.

Plus they get free health insurance, how cool is that

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 5thElement

Originally posted by catseyequeen
If I want to be a lazy ass then I have the right to be a lazy ass and I will also receive all the rights and benefits a lazy ass gets.

You would be surprised how many of those are in this country...

They are enjoying their SSI benefits their entire life while I'm EARNING their government check working 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week.

Plus they get free health insurance, how cool is that

See, and that kind of thing is different here. If I want to be lazy then I get nothing because I earn nothing. And there is no health care unless you want a massive amount of debt. The problem is, I want to work. I want to do the job I am trained and have the talent to do. But the economy is so bad right now that I am going to be forced to deny who I am and all the money I spent on school to work my ass for $7 an hour. That is all my time is worth. I am a 4.0 student, with a degree in Prof. Communications and all I can hope for is a part-time job at the mall. And would be glad of it if I can beat down the teenagers for it. My brain is going to waste. But that is the other side of the coin. The issue is, freedom means the right to choose. I could choose to be a bum or I could choose to start my on business or I could choose to work for someone else. That is freedom of choice. The reason we have a court system and lawyers and shows like law and order is because everyone has the right to tell their side of the story. Everyone has the right to be understood as an individual. Once we start mandating things that EVERYONE "needs" to do then we are not being seen as individuals anymore. We are being seen as numbers. As man A or woman B or child C. What if in my soul I don't believe that anyone who needs charity should get it because whatever situation they are in, they should've been more careful not to get in a situation like that? What if in my soul I believe in tough love on tough luck? Should I be forced to help them even though it goes against my convictions and what I believe? People in NY think it is perfectly ok to be a complete ass to someone they don't know! I don't believe that but they do and they are allowed to do it and no one gives two thoughts to it. People in Korea still eat cats and believe an animal has to be in extreme distress when it dies for it to taste good. No one can stop them from doing this because it is what they believe.

If we all go around trying to control each other and tell each other what to do then every single one of us is going live an extremely miserable and disappointed life. We need to focus on ourselves and the government doesn't need to force us to be good people. We decide how good we are going to be and when. That is our freedom that they cannot take away. Trying is futile and will only cause a revolution. (hopefully)

Point is, in America, a lazy ass earns nothing and a lazy ass gets nothing. Even applying for welfare and food stamps takes some amount of effort and not everyone qualifies. I have been living on less that $100 a month for what seems like an eternity now and I still don't qualify for any assistance. I am a student, I can't get food stamps. I haven't been fired or laid off from anything so I can't get unemployment and I am so poor I can't go to the doctor when I get sick. So until I get out of school I got nothing but ramen noodles. And even then, I don't know where the money is going to come from. I will go make $100 a week at the mall with a bunch of little kids who have much more than me playing with ipods and their twitter and I will still be in debt. Just then I will be able to afford some eggs to go with my ramen. Whew, so free. This freedom tastes great. yummy in da tummy.

new topics

top topics

join