It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck carrying 600 pounds of nitrate stolen in Dania Beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Truck carrying 600 pounds of nitrate stolen in Dania Beach

www.miamiherald.com

The Broward Sheriff's Office is searching for a stolen fertilizer truck holding 600 pounds of ammonium nitrate on its flatbed.
Ammonium nitrate is commonly used as a fertilizer but can be used to make explosives, according to BSO spokeswoman Dani Moschella.

The red Ford F-350, which belongs to a Jacksonville environmental company, was stolen Tuesday night from the Red Roof Inn at 2460 State Road 84 in Dania Beach, Moschella said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Ok, why on earth does an "environmental company" drive around with 600 lbs of bomb-making material in an F-30?

I know it was probably being used for fertilizer, but is this really within regulation for its transportation?

It really makes you wonder how safe we really are....I wonder who got their hands on it....

www.miamiherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
well this just doesn't sound very good. Very targeted theft and that could probably make a very large boom.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Good find. S & F.

This is not good news.

Our country is very weak at the moment. If some kind of attack were to happen on this country it would damage us severely.

We are already in huge trouble as it is...now there is another thing to worry about.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

Yeah, it REALLY makes you think....
Youd figure after Ok. city and WTC 1, this stuff wouldnt be transported on an open landscapers flatbed.
Great, just freakin great.
Im genuinely concerned, another false flag, or even a real attack coming?
Serious business.
Im actually surprised it made the paper with the amount of concern and fear it could bring.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Anyone remember how many pounds were estimated in Ok city, or WTC1?
I gotta find out.
You guys are right, bad news, and a real big bang.
If it was stolen over an hour ago, it could be out of state by now.
On the way to the Texas/Mexico border....

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Don't worry to much, they won't be able to do anything with it until they can somehow make an Iranian passport that will be able to withstand the blast and come out un-marked.

This is just getting people all hyped up for the coming war, they will keep repeating someone stole this or that which could be used to make a bomb and get the people all worked up.

when they stop telling you is when you need to worry because it means the media has done it's job and the people are ready for decieving.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Thats kinda what i meant when i said i was surprised it made the paper.
Youre probably right, when we dont hear about it thru msm, thats when to worry.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Why does it not surprise me this happened in Broward County, the most corrupt police force in the country seems to be there.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by guinnessford

Oklahoma City was 2000 lbs according to the WIKI i found. It sounds like people have gotten smarter since then and combine it with other stuff to make it a bit more potent.

I'm not saying this is good but I was worried it would be far more destructive in force then OKC

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I know this is serious, but imagine this:
Some drunk wandering home decided to steal a random truck, this one.
Can you imagine the crap-storm of charges hed face in the morning?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
www.globalsecurity.org...
By one estimate, the bomb used to attack the Alfred Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995 consisted of an ANFO explosive main charge of approximately 4,000 pounds, based on an estimate of the Velocities of Detonation [VOD] of approximately 13,000 fps. Other estimates claim that the 1995 explosion that collapsed portions of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City contained 4,800 pounds of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil. Later estimates suggested that the bomb had in excess of 6,200 pounds of various energetic materials, including explosives other than ANFO, equivalent to 5,000 pounds of TNT. In the Salameh World Trade Center bombing case resulting from the bombing of the World Trade Center (WTC) on February 26, 1993, FBI Explosives Unit examiner David Williams opined that the main explosive used in the bombing consisted of 1,200 pounds of urea nitrate explosive. The FBI chemists specializing in the examination of explosive residue, however, did not find any residue identifying the explosive at the World Trade Center.

This is what I found on OK city.
Sill not a good thing.
Maybe it was another farmer, or something. Probably just wishful thinking.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by realboogyman

Good look up, thank you!
Yeah, i hope some jealous farmer, or landscaper took it.
Could be something bad, very bad.
And like implied above, somebody can add to it to make it stronger....

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The F-350 flatbed is very desireable in itself so it could have been stolen just for that and the nitrate was an added bonus. Ammonium Nitrate generally comes in 50-80 pound bags so we are talking a dozen bags or less but it is still concerning given OKC. It really wouldn't be that hard for someone to put together a collection of bags stolen one or two at a time from the many farms down that way.

Don't panic, go organic?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Mixed with diesel fuel (ANFO)it will make a bang.

Mixed with nitromethane racing fuel it would make a bigger bang. this explosive is called ANNM
equal to about 1000 pounds ANFO

Mix it with hydrazine and finely powdered aluminium and you would have Astrolite A and you would have a very powerful BANG.
equal to about 2000-2500 pounds of ANFO.
plus it would be a liquid explosive that could be poured into anything and detonated.
Pumped into the sewer system in a big city and miles of city streets would be turned into craters

en.wikipedia.org...
www.semp.us...

[edit on 19-3-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by guinnessford

OKC was an entire Ryder truck full. Which would have been several times larger than this load I am guessing.

MBF

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke

I know it was probably being used for fertilizer, but is this really within regulation for its transportation?

I've driven around with a lot more than 600lbs on my truck lots of times.

top topics

join