It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What, do you feel, helped you have the urge to"stock up"?..genetics, or, the environment?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I have to say, as a child our big treat was on our birthdays. My mom let us choose what we would like to have as our "birthday dinner" that night, including our fav dessert! We thought that was the the best! and didn't demand, or expect, to have anything extravagant.

But that was enough for us, and I have often wondered why all of a sudden it is the rage to have these huge parties where all of the children get "goodie bags" and all of theae extras. I think if a household can afford that then it is great for them. But, to expect that is another thing all together.My sister and I were just talking about this very thing last night. It has gotten out of control!

Thanks,
FMF

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
My family always had a ton of food on hand. We had 6 kids and when there was a bit of extra cash, my parents would buy additional food because with that many kids, you never knew when something might happen that could cost you money you did not have and since we lived paycheck to paycheck it was a smart strategy and in fact served us well over time.

Where I live in the US the weather is very volatile, with flooding and sever e wind storms pretty much a given every winter. Its not uncommon to not be able to get out to the store for a couple of days or be without power, etc. Having 4 kids, I need to be prepared for those situations.

I really stocked up however this past summer when gas was over $4 a gallon and I read an article that indicated that food was the best investment in pure dollar terms at the moment. Made sense to me. The reverse is logical as well. With gas cheap, foodstuffs are cheap due to the transport costs, so stocking up now has you buying into the "market" low. If TSHTF in the middle east, that 50lb bag of rice will cost you several times what it will cost you today.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Yeah, there were 6 kids in my family as well. We didn't ever go hungry but I do remember in 1979 when my dad was laid off. It was horrible. So, that could have played a part in my psyche. My mom did the best she could that Christmas and I have never forgotten it.

Thanks!
FMF

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy
reply to post by Northern Raider

What a story..thank you for sharing! I am honored, especially coming from you (my survival hero!..
)!

I remember when we moved my grandmother to a house closer to my parent's, and when we got to the part where my mom said they would have to throw out all of her canned goods (some were 20+ years old
) she had tears in her eyes. I said we should just let her keep them, but monitor her eating habits once in the new house. "I feel ya', grandma!"

I just think she made a big impression on me even when little. I would go into her "special room" full of cans and look at them, try to read the labels and just think it was the berries to have so much food! Not like I was starving or anything, just enthralled. Now my siblings snocker at my habits and call me "grandma J". I don't care, I am proud of it!

Thank you!
FMF

Did you folks know that during the Cold war in the UK we kept on avaerage 9 weeks supplies of food and fuels to keep the nation going, but now the UK has only 3 days worth of food on average and less than 30 days worth of fuel. I Am told because of the immense transportation distances involved in the US of H its even worse. Now that scares me rigid.
As a wise sage once said a civilised nation is only 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join