It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPs fearing decline of local news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

MPs fearing decline of local news

news.bbc.co.uk

Redundancies and office closures in local and regional media have put the future of local news at the "top of the agenda", the government has said.

Culture minister Barbara Follett said the government would "work tirelessly to secure news for local communities".

Tory shadow arts minister Ed Vaizey called for a relaxation of competition rules relating to media ownership.

An Early Day Motion, signed by 73 MPs, says more than 1,000 local news posts have been lost since last summer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Or is this a step closer to no independant news delivery systems allowing the entire 'news' to be brought to us by one provider.

The 'big brother' syle media would have a field day if the only news availabl was the news publisher that dominates the market.
The onl news you'd read would be that which was allowed, rather than being reported on by local communities.

It's bad enough as it is, but with the reduction of local news companies, and heavens forbid, the control of the internet, our daily gripe would be almost like something straight out of 1984.

Mr Vaizey said that competition rules that had prevented a single organisation having a dominant impact on an area were unnecessary with the proliferation of online information sources.

He said: "We urgently need to sweep away the rules of media ownership that prevent consolidation of local newspaper groups and alliances between local newspaper groups and commercial radio companies."

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
They fear the loss of local news do they? And their actions or mismanagement of the economy, deliberately done on purpose to bring the middle class to their knees and kill as many vulnerables as possible, this would not be something they are responsible for? And then, they will ensure its survival? Really, well government really doesn't need to be partners with the news media. I recommend a whole bunch of new news medias hitting print, not just online. They could be delivered free, paid for by local advertisements as the Penticton Western is, but, you know, a little more questioning of world affairs, with some very informative online coverage, perhaps a whole pull section like a slow snail mail version of a conspiracy forum. These may due quite nicely. After a while, there may be some real changes, especially if some dvds of zeitgeist's latest and best get thrown in.

But the SS should not have a hand in the delivery of local news.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Or is this a step closer to no independant news delivery systems allowing the entire 'news' to be brought to us by one provider.

Bingo!

Relaxing ownership and competiton rules, that's the ticket to solving this local "problem" that I for one haven't noticed.

Control of media down to the local level. Fantastic. This country gets scarier and scarier. I get the feeling I'm going to walk out on the street one day and people will all be pointing at me and making that spooky warbling noise from Invasion of the Bodysnatchers - the remake with Donald Sutherland.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rich23

Gov't local news.
The news you can trust.
from cradle to grave

new topics

top topics

join